“Grim, tired food; expensive, and served with a side of surliness”
Review of Bona Foodie

Bona Foodie
Ranked #436 of 1,154 Restaurants in Brighton
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Grim, tired food; expensive, and served with a side of surliness”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Today was the second time I've tried Bona Foodie, and like the first, I was disappointed. Whilst everything appears divine and incredibly tempting, it just doesn't live up to its looks and certainly doesn't justify the price.

The service is generally unfriendly, with not a smile to be seen. I went for a mini sausage roll, which was just a bit dull, with lots of orange coloured grease, and what looked like a delicious cheesecake brownie which was sadly overdone, relatively flavourless, and generally dry and mealy.

I won't be paying their inflated prices again for such a disappointing experience.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank David W

“Good food, terrible service”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I waited behind the counter for ages before being served despite a lady working right in front of me. When I was eventually served the lady was snappy and not at all accommodating. Can't fault the food though.

• Visited November 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Lovely looking food,uncomfortable service”
Reviewed October 18, 2013

As a local business keen to support others - we have gone in for take away lunch items despite it being pricey. However, the last three times the service is awful,although the young staff are pleasant when you get to the front of the queue. The owner /chef was looking angry and fierce and not meeting anyones eye- the atmosphere was very awkward and I felt really uncomfortable. She served the guy in front without speaking except to her staff. The last few times each time someone left as they obviously couldn't wait as the service was slow. I am aware everyone has a bad day - but this service and atmosphere has become a regular occurrence and frankly this last time was it for us. We are off to the supermarket where food is not so good but service is at least cheerful. I really think the cafe should look at themselves we could not get away with being so poor to our customers.

• Visited September 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Very appetising food, served without a smile.”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

The food on display in this deli is very mouthwatering. I love all things baked, cheesy & covered in pastry! They offer some really delicious salads with generous portions. I ordered veggie moussaka which had green lentils instead of meat. It came with two sides from a selection of about 12 different salads and roasted veg mixes. I had potatas bravas and roasted beetroot salad. My boyfriend had meatballs and side salad. The meatballs were supposed to be served with rice but my bf wanted to swap the rice for side salads. This slightly confused the staff, who ended up charging for meatballs, rice & side salads which was slightly unaccommodating. Sadly, this put my boyfriend off the place a bit - because of the unfriendliness from the staff. I have to say I didn't mind, I was transfixed by the selection of gooey brownies on the counter! The prices seemed expensive but actually we were both very full and had leftovers.

Whilst we were eating, a (homeless?) couple came in to look at the food. They noticed that someone else had left a rice salad, the girl went to take the dish, much to the reluctance of the man with her, but the lady behind the counter willingly put the leftovers in to a pot with a fork. This was done without any judgement or annoyance. This small gesture made up for the lack of smiles for me. I will go back there again - although perhaps not with my boy!

• Visited September 2013
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Great food”
Reviewed October 1, 2013

Lovely decor coupled with great food! Good price to and cakes first class. Try the soup and the tapas.

Visited September 2013