“Unexpected value”

Ibis Brighton City Centre Station
Ranked #11 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Having stayed in an awful Ibis in France, I was very apprehensive about a repeat performance . We stayed one night and were armed with the knowledge of the one towel and no extras approach. This may have helped colour our opinion but we were pleasantly surprised. The Ibis is central, very new and modern (almost stylish), charming staff and spotlessly clean. I could not have asked much more for a cheap one night stay. The rooms are a good size and the bathroom pod is serviceable. The plumbing noise did wake us up from someone showering at 5 a.m. But otherwise we had a good night's sleep. Breakfast was extra and fairly ok (usual fare) and we parked in the car park for £13.00.
I think we would stay there again if we had tickets for a show or similar.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dominic S, Manager at Ibis Brighton City Centre Station, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences online and rating us with 4 stars. I was very happy to read that you were pleasantly surprised and that you would consider returning to us in the near future. We look forward to welcoming you and your partner back soon again. Kindest regards, Dominic Sauls

There are newer reviews for Ibis Brighton City Centre Station

Reviewed May 8, 2014

I'm used to stay in Ibis hotels and loads of other different Accor hotels and also many other brands like SPG. There have been some Ibis hotels where I've been less than pleased but this one is one of the best. When I stay in an Ibis hotel, I expect basic, reasonable price, clean and modern. That is what I got from this stay. The hotel was brilliantly located for me about 100 metres from the railway station, so I saved on taxis and saved on walking. The food at the breakfast buffet was really nice, the usual types of foods, like coffee, bacon, beans, cereals, fruits, danishs and breads. The rooms were really clean and the shower was very spacious and there was plenty of room to move about in the room. The TV was really good quality and it had all the things necessary for a comfortable stay, such as shower gel, tea/coffee making facilities and a comfortable bed. The only thing they were a bit stingy on is the towels, the size of them barely covered me and there wasn't enough and the ensuite toilet was noisy for the other person in the room. The staff were friendly and I will definitely be returning here on my next visits to Brighton.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review online and rating us with 5 stars. I was very happy to read that you found the Ibis Brighton City Centre hotel to be one of the best you have stayed in. I have noted your feedback regarding the towels and will take this up with my housekeeping and linen company. We look forward to welcoming you and your partner back soon. Kindest regards, Dominic Sauls

Reviewed May 6, 2014

The first thing I noticed upon walking in the room was the the floor was not level - it was bumpy, consistently at different angles. The window was VERY small with poor curtains.

In my opinion the room was very small, and the entire bathroom was a tray insert into the room - it felt very cheap and wasn't particularly nice to use with the water pressure being so poor.

None of these were reason enough to ask to change rooms - as to me all rooms would be of this low quality.

Our water was turned off for at least an hour on one of the days which was a very big inconvenience to us - for which I was offered two days of complimentary breakfasts (which cost £8 per person per day)... I was looking for a partial refund but was told as I booked via Expedia I couldn't be given that - understandable, however I will be calling Expedia to see if they can offer me a partial refund.

On the final night at 0245 AM the fire alarm started going off for a few minutes, from which I had a lot of trouble getting back to sleep.

I feel like this hotel was built very cheaply and charges too much for very basic things. Breakfasts, late checkout, leaving a bag at the hotel etc. all were chargeable - and not cheap!

Redeeming factors were that both the checkout time and the end of breakfast were some of the latest I have encountered at 12, as well as the hotel being in a very convenient location.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments online, however I was disappointed that we only managed to achieve a 2 star rating. I have noted your feedback regarding the room quality and the charges for breakfast, late check out and luggage left on departure. Thank you once again for your feedback. Kindest regards, Dominic Sauls

Reviewed May 6, 2014

We stayed here for a single night over the bank holiday weekend. The hotel is very centrally located, just down the road from the train station. Although it does not have its own car park, it is close to an NCP car park and offers a discount on NCP rates which makes it very affordable (over £10 difference!)

Check in was quick and easy, and the lobby is set out with lots of cool furniture and clean lines.

Our room was on the 6th floor, which offered great views over Brighton (although through quite a small window). The room itself was great. Fairly spacious (for a town centre hotel), with a good sized bed, a little sitting area and some storage space. There is a "pod" in the room which houses a shower, toilet and sink. It reminded me quite a bit of a cabin on a ship. Everything very neat and tidy, and space used very efficiently. The room was clean, the bed was comfy and everything worked fine. There was a kettle for tea in the morning, a hairdryer and a tv.

We didn't have breakfast (you are so close to the north laines, with a plethora of cafes etc), but it is available, as is room service throughout the day and night. There is also a bar.

Check out was also smooth and easy, and at 12 was at a good time for us as it meant we didn't have to rush.

Overall I'd recommend the hotel for a stay in Brighton if you're not planning on spending much time in the room other than sleeping. Its a very good price compared to others in the area, and although not the most luxurious, was also certainly not spartan and was really very pleasant.

1  Thank Principessaleah

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a descriptive review online and rating us with 4 stars. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and would recommend us for future guests. We look forward to welcoming you and your partner back soon. Kindest regards, Dominic Sauls

Reviewed May 2, 2014

The hotel is in a great location, modern and clean inside. The reception staff are friendly enough despite there being a basic lack of understanding most of the time. Our stay itself was average and not helped by the noise from the numerous “hen & stag” parties arriving and leaving throughout the night. However, the problem arose when we were checking out in the morning and the receptionist took a second pre-authorisation on my card, meaning I was effectively charged for the room twice (they don’t actually take it but the funds become unavailable). And it get the impression that the lady wouldn't of even told me had her manager not come over due to her blasé attitude towards it! They said they would give me a call once they had spoken to the bank trying to cancel it, which they did the following day to tell me that it would be back in my account in 2 – 3 days. It has now been 5 days and after 2 more conversations they have now said it could take up to 10 days! It is disgraceful that a company feels that it is acceptable to deprive one of their customers a significant amount of money due to their mistake and not even come up with a solution.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tappingj

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to feedback to us via Tripadvisor, however I was very disappointed to read that your stay did not meet with your expectations. I can sincerely say that it is never our intention to deprive any customer of funds due to our mistakes and unfortunately no matter how expediently we try to rectify the situation, we are at the behest of cardholders banks as to when the funds are returned. Saying that, if you could please contact me directly on h6444-gm@accor.com, would be greatly appreciated as I do very much value your custom and would like to see you return to my hotel in the near future. Kindest regards, Dominic Sauls

Reviewed May 2, 2014

We had never stayed in an IBIS hotel before. We left wondering why ever not, it was lovely. A friend had recommended it. The Brighton IBIS is in such a great location, you can walk from the train station to the hotel front door in a minute even wheeling a suitcase. The staff were some of the most friendly we've encountered in a hotel and everything was fresh and clean. We were in a big group 16 of us and everyone said they'd had a great time and were impressed. Breakfast was really good and we ate Pizza and soup one evening and were highly surprised that it was such good quality and very tasty. The overall experience I'd say is 10/10. The hotel is located in close proximity to the resort shops, restaurants, bars, beach etc but if you're not able to walk far then the hills can be quite steep depending on where you are going but we noticed that Taxis are readily available in Brighton so just jump in one

Room Tip: We were at the rear and on the 9th Floor, we heard little noise except in the day time when there wa...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor and rating us with 5 stars. It is always a pleasure to read that my staff made such a great impact on your stay and you also got to enjoy our food and beverage offering. We look forward to welcoming you all back soon again. Kindest regards, Dominic Sauls

Reviewed May 1, 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com