“Good Value Hotel in Brighton” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ibis Brighton City Centre Station
Ranked #11 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Good Value Hotel in Brighton”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

We booked this hotel at the last minute for a short break in Brighton. We had stayed at Ibis hotels in France in the past and their Brighton hotel follows the same formula. It is comparable to a Premier Travel Inn, but is cheaper. The fact that it is such good value makes it stand out in comparison to other hotels in Brighton which tend to be expensive (and judging by reviews on Trip Advisor), of variable quality.

The hotel is very new and is only a short walk from Brighton station. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The hotel - both the public areas and our room - was extremely clean. As others have mentioned, the bathroom is housed in a 'pod'. I could have done with a more powerful shower and found myself constantly adjusting its position in the hope of achieving a more forceful flow. The room was spacious and the beds comfortable.. There were tea/coffee making facilities and a TV with a wide range of Freeview channels. Considering that the hotel is located in a main road, we heard very little street noise during the night.

The breakfast buffet is quite varied. If I stayed again, I wouldn't bother to book breakfast but would go to one of the many small cafes in the local area. There are many interesting eating places in the streets.nearby with offering good-value breakfast menus, offering a great opportunity to support independent local businesses.

As another reviewer has picked up, the free Wi-Fi in the bedrooms is only for 24 hours. However you log in by name and not room, so two of us logged-in consecutively - but it seems a bit of an odd arrangement (if that how it really works).

What was even odder, was that when we asked whether we could leave our luggage between checking out and catching a train, we were told that it would cost £1 per item! I have stayed in lots of hotels and have never been asked to pay a charge for this service before.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Dominic S, General Manager at Ibis Brighton City Centre Station, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on Tripadvisor. We really appreciate your comments and were very happy to read that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay. I have since also requested my maintenance and housekeeping to review each and every room to ensure that the level of pressure in the showers are sufficient to have an enjoyable shower. With regards to luggage, we do not charge for the storage of luggage on arrival, but have introduced a chargeable service of £2 per piece of luggage stored on departure. Thank you once again for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel soon. Kindest regards, Dominic Sauls

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in August. Located only about 100 metres from railway station. About 10 - 15 minutes walk down hill to sea front. The room was clean and had everything you need. Very quiet hotel at night with no noise from railway, other pubs, other guests etc so a good nights sleep.
I didn't take on the breakfast option because I thought it was a bit expensive. I'm glad I didn't as there are numerous cafes withing 5 minutes walk doing breakfast for less than Ibis charges.
My only bad point is the shower. On the first day it was intermittent between boiling hot and freezing cold. I didn't complain as I did manage to get a shower. The second morning, no hot water at all, so couldn't shower. We did mention on checking out and were given 10% off one nights stay, that's £7.20. Not fantastically generous really?
Parking is expensive in Brighton. I used the park on my drive web site and sourced 3 days parking on a drive of a house, 1.5 miles away for £5.40 for 3 days = Result! I think I could have paid in the region of £50 to £75 in city centre car parks. Walking 3 miles through nice streets to save £70 is easy!
Brighton is fantastic by the way, go there!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dominic S, General Manager at Ibis Brighton City Centre Station, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor and rating us with 4 stars. I was disappointed to read that you felt our all you can eat breakfast was expensive at £7.95, but appreciate that for a smaller breakfast you can save up to £2/3 at the local cafes. I have also noted your comments regarding the car parking and do believe the park on my drive is a good alternative, if guests are up for the walk. We look forward to welcoming you and your partner back to the hotel soon. Kindest regards, Dominic Sauls
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

We booked the Ibis as it was the cheapest place for a room in Brighton on a Saturday night!! It is not in the best of areas (it is if you are arriving by train!) and we were worried it might be noisy. The hotel is brand new and we didnt hear a thing! We were on the 9th floor and couldnt fault it. Clean, tidy, friendly staff although because it is a new hotel I think they are all fine tuning. The security guard who has got some negative reviews on here was polite and stayed out of the way. We would stay again without hesitation.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post you feedback on Tripadvisor. I appreciated your comments regarding the security guard and have noted your feedback in relation to the fine tuning for the rest of the team. My team and I look forward to welcoming you and your partner back to the hotel soon, so that you can experience the changes in the team. Kindest regards, Dominic Sauls
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013

I have now stayed in the recently opened Ibis in Brighton twice and would not hesitate in recommending to anyone.

From the swift checkin you are moments from a tranquil comfortable room - they are ample sized with one of the best beds Ive slept in at a hotel - ample tea/coffee and kettle provided along with storage and hairdryer (no room safe but available in the hotel) - The TV also has a good number of channels inc sky news.

Once of the most noticeable things is the sheer silence - I have lived in Brighton before and very aware of the Seagull noise and surprised to hear none - opening the window the full volume of outside made it clear just how good the sound proofing is!!!

The rooms have a good sized 'pod type' bathroom with spacious shower - my only complaint is the location of the toilet roll dispenser !!! (Under the sink behind your leg)

The Air conditioner has local controls so you can choose your own settings or leave off and enjoy open windows !

The hotel also has a good value bar and restaurant, no room service but you can take a tray to your room - also opposite are a number of great restaurants

You are minutes from the station, and only around 5 minute walk to The Clock Tower - all in all very well located.

Checkout is midday and you can also leave luggage for later collection.

Use with confidence...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a descriptive review and share your experiences on Tripadvisor. It was great to read that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and will most certainly be sharing your feedback with the team, to ensure we consistently deliver a high level of service to all our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon. Kindest regards, Dominic
Brighton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

The Ibis Hotel was perfectly satisfactory. One problem was 'running out' of food at breakfast.

Our big complaint was being charged by your company BEFORE we went and in this instance being charged TWICE. We only had ONE notification and ONE booking number by e.mail so how could you think we had booked TWICE? Hopefully this problem has been sorted and we await a refund.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback online. Although I was very happy to receive the 4 stars I was disappointed to read that you had been charged twice for your stay. If you could please contact me directly on h6444-gm@accor.com, would be greatly appreciated, so that I may personally ensure that this is sorted as soon as possible? I sincerely hope that you will also give us the opportunity to welcome you and your family back to our hotel soon. Kindest regards, Dominic
Bedford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed one night in a family room in August. The staff were extremely helpful, friendly and prosessional, nothing too much trouble. The room was large, and spotless (and i'm fussy), had all the facilities you need. The beds were the most comfortable i have ever slept in so 100%. There is no parking at the hotel but its only a 5min walk from the train station and approx 10 mins to the beach so perfectly located. We didnot have the breakfast but had drinks early evening in bar, very good quality wine and superb service. A fun, modern, good value for money and clean hotel, thoroughly recommend it.

1 Thank dai0001
Dominic S, General Manager at Ibis Brighton City Centre Station, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences on Tripadvisor and rating us with 5 stars. My team and I are delighted that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon. Kindest regards, Dominic
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

Stayed with my wife for three nights in August. On check in and throughout our stay we found all of the staff very friendly and helpful, going out of their way to meet our requests such as extra towels, ice bucket for room, safety deposit box and luggage storage.

I've stayed in Ibises in the north of England before and had always been impressed by this French chain. This one is only a few weeks old and the corridors still smell of new carpet. Rooms have an unusual, very European, designer feel but the layout works reasonably well. Lovely big comfy king (queen?) size bed with a soft mattress topper and fluffy white duvet. Multichannel telly at foot of bed, full length mirror, aircon and blackout curtains, so someone has thought things through.

Bathroom is a modern plastic "pod" with a surprisingly large shower enclosure. Clear glass shower door means no privacy in the shower if you were friends sharing and using loo/shaving, but not a problem for us. On the 10th floor you can't expect high water pressure I suppose and shower was a bit feeble but did the job. Water temperature would swing wildly from cold to boiling hot as other guests used their water, even at quiet times of day. A thermostatic shower would have made showering a bit less like Russian roulette.

There is a kettle and tea/coffee provided but we had to move the kettle to a dodgy site on the window ledge to plug it in -I think Brits are unusual in expecting tea making in their rooms. My wife thought that the "open-plan" wardrobe and shelves were on the small side but I thought it worked ok and got all of my shirts hung up.

Our room was on the 10th floor at the back so we had a fascinating view east over Brighton and south to the sea. Don't know what street noise would have been like at the front as the road is busy day and night. Lifts are fast and modern so floor level wasn't an issue.

For £7.50 a head, the all you can eat buffet breakfast is excellent value. A continental breakfast is available from 4:30am!! and then the full cooked affair from 6:30. At weekends it's served until noon -what a great idea! The hot dishes contained wonderful sausages, scrambled egg, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, bacon and the best hash browns ever. The coffee machines dispense fresh brewed coffee in mugs -I reckon I got my money's worth from the coffee alone.

If you want to eat out, nearby Trafalgar Street is full of cafes and sandwich bars. You have to go up to the station and go into the odd underpass to reach the top of the street.

The bar in the hotel is quite pleasant and no cheaper than the rest of Brighton. Most of the staff are foreign and some struggled with my accent, but all were very friendly and helpful, I just sometimes had to repeat myself.

There are free safety deposit boxes in the locked luggage store -you set your own pin number. We put our passports in for our stay and we left our cases in the store for a few hours before we caught our train.

Because it's so new, some of the staff are a bit inexperienced, but they are willing and helpful. We would have paid similar money for a privately owned hotel/ guest house but were very pleased wiht our stay here.

Room Tip: Go for upper floors at the rear in case street is noisy. Try the breakfast.