“Just for a moment, make believe you are in Louisiana...”
Review of Great Eastern

Great Eastern
Ranked #463 of 1,133 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: American
Littlehampton, England, United Kingdom
“Just for a moment, make believe you are in Louisiana...”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Having sampled the fine US beers and spirits at this welcoming little BRIGHTON pub (see previous review) I promised myself a return visit to try out the food and this was it. Interesting little weekday Southern Cajun menu including fried chicken, gumbo, steak and mushroom hotpot, blackened pork steak and, of course, the inevitable burgers with a vegetarian meal option of bean, lentil and chilli. My daughter went for the veggie option and told me it was an excellent choice with the corn bread an added delight and only £7.95. Although I am a meat eater I have to say that burgers are not my natural grub or in any way my favourite dish but, as they say, ‘when in Louisiana do as the Cajuns do!' So, my son and I went for the Tennessee Honey BBQ burger and hoped for the best, and we got it! Super thick beef burger with a to die for honey sauce topped with cheese, and served with Cajun wedges, red onion slaw, cranberry salad and popcorn, a real meal deal and for only £8.95. It was probably the best burger I have ever had. I followed that with a double shot of Jack Daniels Honey over ice. Then, with some quiet Patsy Cline and Johnny Cash as background music and in great family company, we rounded off the meal and the early evening with bottles of Lone Star Beer. Well worth the return trip.

• Visited August 2013

Littlehampton, England, United Kingdom
“Red neck, white socks and Blue Ribbon beer..”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Telephone 10273 685681

Finding The Great Eastern is easy, you just turn sharp left out of Brighton Railway Station and walk down the hill until you find it. Coming back up the steep hill for the return journey is not quite so appealing! Needing a reason for going there in the first place is also easy – they serve around 60 varieties of American Whiskey, world beers and a good range of US beers. If like me you are fed up with US beer labels on bottled beer which is actually brewed and bottled in the EU then that is a good a reason as any for a trip to this little oasis of a Brighton pub. A bit like stepping into a real western saloon with one long bar lined with stools and a few tables dotted around for those wanting to sit and partake of the tasty Southern American food. Not brightly lit and with Leonard Cohen groaning his whispering way in the background, sipping Lone Star (actually brewed in Texas) or a Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer of equal taste and quality, served by friendly and knowledgeable staff, and chatting with my young son I could have stayed all evening had not the two or three – I cannot remember exactly how many – shots of Jack Daniels Single Barrel and a Gentleman Jack told my white socked feet it was time for walking up that station hill… Excellent pub, fair prices, friendly crowd and, I am told, regular country music nights. Next time I will try the grub especially the Sunday roast as it was well recommended by my son who appeared to hold his liquor better than I…

• Visited April 2013