“Brilliant location, tasty food, poor service”
Review of Lucky Beach

Lucky Beach
Ranked #119 of 1,209 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Lucky Beach Cafe is located right on Brighton beach between the two piers. Gorgeous local organic breakfasts, 35-day aged organic burgers using conservation scheme beef, beautiful local fish, local beers and wines and long drinks.
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Perhaps tainted by the busy rush associated with the Brighton half marathon, but the staff seemed more concerned with each other than their customers. Tasty food, a brilliant location and really nice decor, I would love to try this place again, perhaps on a different staff rota. Every question asked was met with a no response, there were problems with the orders and bills. It seems from other reviews that this isn't always the case. Lucky beach had been recommended to me by lots of friends, so I hope it will be better next time. Second time lucky I hope!!

Reviewed February 6, 2014

Lucky Beach is an unassuming little place, which is true to its namesake - it's just off the beach, funnily enough; and you're lucky if you can get a table, due to the massive popularity of this little upstart on the Brighton burger scene.

The decor is refreshingly simple and has hints of cape-cod style. The staff is ultra-friendly, if a little hipster-chic, and apologetic if you have to wait around. They're also quick to recommend their favourites and seem genuinely interested in the food they're selling, which is always comforting.

Let's not beat around the bush. A good burger is a good burger, right? Maybe not. My Golden Nugget surpassed any expectations with a hearty buttermilk fried chicken breast in a fennel seed crust, smoked aioli, shredded kale (nice touch) on a glazed brioche bun. The gochujang chilli sauce made a perfect warming dip on a cold blustery Brighton day. Almost a steal at less than £6.

My compatriot ordered the David Van Day, which was packed with perfectly cooked pink-in-the-middle local dry-aged beef, a huge chunk of blue cheese, homemade mayo, pickled onions,
salad, mustard and ketchup, also on brioche. Our only complaint on this was that it got quite wet - a toasted bun would stop the brioche disintegrating on touch.

We shared a side of delicious skin-on chips and some excellent homemade coleslaw and washed down the excellent meal with a pint of Estralla Damm from their interesting, but slightly-limited, beer selection.

All-up, one of the best burgers either of us has had. Topped with excellent service and a beautiful view of the ocean. What else could you want? Warmer weather, perhaps.

1  Thank graydj
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Great burgers that are aged for 35 days and taste pretty unique and very savoury. Cool, but still efficient staff keep the place ticking over. Decent wines and beers. Good chips, lovely fried fish. A few more desserts on offer would make this perfect.

1  Thank Sam R
Reviewed January 27, 2014

After reading the reviews I couldn't wait to try a burger here during a recent visit to Brighton. Service and overall experience was top-notch however I was slightly disappointed with the burger taste, I found the beef patty quite bland like it could perhaps do with some more seasoning. I have had better burgers in Brighton. Again, fantastic location and staff.

1  Thank Seashell400
Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

Now I love a good burger and many of my friends have been here and recommended it, so I was really looking forward to going!
We picked the wrong day (first sunny day in January) and we had to wait about 30 mins for a table, not a problem. When we did get a table, it was pretty dirty, a simple wipe down after the previous customers left wouldn't take a minute and it goes a long way! It did eventually get cleaned after we sat down! Our order was taken promptly and about 15/20 minutes later it arrived! The burger looked amazing but the small portion of chips (which were advertised as skin on chips but arrived as plain old fries or chips without skin on them) was very dissapointing!! I finished my meal first (as I usually do) and was waiting for my girlfriend to finish when we was rudely interrupted by a waiter who, in his dull tones, said 'you finished, yeah?' To which I replied 'no, I'm waiting for my girlfriend' but still proceeded to take my plate! Which made me really angry, isn't the first rule of service to wait for everyone to finish eating before taking plates away? To me, this ruined the whole meal, it's the little things that make a meal and waiting for everyone to finish eating is one of them!!! I understand that it's not a Michelin starred restaurant but please, inform your staff!!