“Poor cleanliness and no toilets.”
Review of The Parlour - CLOSED

The Parlour
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
“Poor cleanliness and no toilets.”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

No toilets in the cafe, was told I had to use the public toilets which were upstairs and a walk away from the cafe. I was surprised they did not have their own customer toilets as this was not a park cafe but in he middle of the busy marina. To go to the toilet meant leaving my friends and family for maybe 5-10 mins and older children would have to be taken to the toilet as it was such along way away, food would get cold etc. We sat in the wicker seating outside, the floor around the seats was filthy with dropped food and cigarette butts. Also cushions were missing from the single seat and the back of the sofa was broken. Will certainly not return.

TheParl0ur, Manager at The Parlour, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Unfortunately none of the cafes in the Marina have been built with customer toilets. The good news for The Parlour, is that the public toilets (which are always super clean) are on the level above us.
The missing cushion and damaged sofa were all present and correct at the start of the day. We are repairing and replacing as I write this review.

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Excellent coffee with good service”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

A good cup of coffee with excellent service. Not sure what the professional moaners elsewhere on this site are on about. I shall definitely return soon.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank ACoffeeLover
TheParl0ur, Manager at The Parlour, responded to this review, October 7, 2014
and we will pleased to see you again! we make a real effort to cater each coffee we make to the specific needs of the customer!
Dudley, United Kingdom
“"Not paid enough to deal with customers like you"”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Last Friday, August 16th, we had walked from Brighton Pier to the Marina and mistakenly thought that the Parlour would be a nice place in which to sit with a pot of tea. We could not buy any food as my husband is dairy intolerant and there did not appear to be anything suitable for him.

I sat down outside while my husband ordered the tea. He was allegedly told this might take five to ten minutes. A woman with five children arrived and sat at a nearby table. They chose and ordered ice-creams, which duly arrived. A disabled man arrived with his carer and ordered and was served with ice-cream too. By now we had waited around twenty minutes. My husband went in to ask what had happened the tea and saw it sitting on the counter. At this point he offered to carry it to our table to save further waiting. The lad behind the counter did not offer a tray but passed the teapot, milk, two cups and two saucers to my husband. He also told my husband that he did 'not want his lip'. We are bemused by this as my husband does not recall saying anything over than asking for the tea.

Not surprisingly my husband dropped the tea on the way to the table. The girl member of staff shouted 'leave it' and carried on serving other customers. There was not any concern as to whether my husband had been injured. Any coffee chain would have offered a replacement but not this shop. When he returned, teless, to our table, I noted that my husband's jacket and trousers were severely splashed with milk.

I went in to the lad and said that I had two things to say; firstly why was my husband carrying the items and then that I wanted a wet cloth immediately. My husband came in and asked to speak with the manager. The lad said he would get the manager and went back into the kitchen. The girl came out and informed us that the manager was not there but that she would 'phone her and let us speak on the telephone. Meanwhile I asked for, and received, our money back. The lad offered us, belatedly, a dry cloth or piece of kitchen towel. The girl said that she was busy and had to clean up the spillage for safety reasons.

We waited outside. The girl said she had spoken to the manager who had said that we were not entitled to our money back and that the Marina security staff should be called to escort us from there (I think she meant the Marina). She was extremely loud and aggressive. I asked if I might just say something and she shouted at me and said 'no' before carrying on shouting. My husband said he was starting to feel ill so she said he could have a glass of water. He wanted to speak but she continued to shout at him too.

Although the china had been picked up the tea and milk still remained on the floor and she asked a man to be careful walking around it. I suggested she should be placing a 'wet floor' sign there. She screeched at us to get out because she was calling security. I told my husband to leave with me as it wasn't worth trying to resolve anything. She shouted that she isn't paid enough to deal with 'people like us'.

I'd be interested to know what was meant by the last comment. I am a mature mother and grandmother who has never witnessed nor experienced such behaviour from anyone in any place prior to this. I also have concerns re Health and Safety awareness that I would be more than happy to pass on to relevant agencies. I'd advise anyone against visiting these premises as, in many years of national and international travel, this is surely the worst place I have ever visited.

Please note I have checked the ratings only because it is required. I would prefer to leave 0 points for all categories.

2 Thank KarenDuerr-Daniel
TheParl0ur, Manager at The Parlour, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
We serve many customers each week and frequently receive lovely feedback about our coffee, food, and service. I was made aware of this incident and did try to speak to you but you were unwilling to speak to me. We are always happy to carry to the table if we are asked and in the event that there is a spillage the staff are fully trained in clearing spillages.
I understand The Parlour was very busy at the time you came in and the staff were stretched, how ever, manners and customer service are always our top priority.
The staff were completely astonished when they read this review.
london
“Rubbish the worst in Brighton marina !!!”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This is the worst cafe I have ever been for customer service!!
What a joke this looks so nice from the outside,A lot better then the cafe across the way!!
However I ordered two coffees and it was like I ordered a shipment of coffee as it took the girl half hr
Before we finally got are drinks!!!
Then I thought on a different occasion that I would try this cafe again!
But it was rubbish as last time was too.Service was awful a young lad chatting to the girl serving no eye contact no smile,And too much money being made for poor tasting tangy coffee!!!
No thank u I will stick to weather spoons I think cheaper,great customer service and half the price!!!

Oh and the icecream counter be aware of too they tried ripping my husband off its a long story but it was a total con.A young girl again serving tried putting two scoops in separate cones where clearly asked for two scoops on one cone!!
The price difference was £2.20p !!!
Avoid at all cost!! Mc 99p menu much better.

2 Thank lucy b
TheParl0ur, Manager at The Parlour, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
It is so disappointing to read a review like this. We try really hard with our customer service and take pride in greeting customers and serving promptly. All our staff have been made aware of your comments.
Our coffee is of top quality and as we are independent we can not compete with Wetherspoons prices but we are cheaper than most coffee shop chains.
We offer 22 flavours of ice cream including sorbets, and have tried to hold the prices as low as we can whilst maintaining fabulous quality.
We are sorry your experience with us was unsatisfactory and we can assure you we would never overcharge or serve the wrong product deliberately.
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“Great food in a lovely setting”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

All my experiences at the Parlour have been truly great so I thought I'd write...
Whether you want a nice place to sit for a leisurely lunch, to indulge in a delightful coffee with a gooey homemade brownie or to simply pick up an ice cream for a stroll along the beach the Parlour is where you need to go. The friendly staff along with the handwritten blackboard messages are very welcoming making everyone feel right at home. Cafes like this need to be supported; beats Starbucks and other chains by miles!

• Visited July 2013