“Great food in a lovely setting”
Review of The Parlour - CLOSED

The Parlour
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
“Great food in a lovely setting”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

All my experiences at the Parlour have been truly great so I thought I'd write...
Whether you want a nice place to sit for a leisurely lunch, to indulge in a delightful coffee with a gooey homemade brownie or to simply pick up an ice cream for a stroll along the beach the Parlour is where you need to go. The friendly staff along with the handwritten blackboard messages are very welcoming making everyone feel right at home. Cafes like this need to be supported; beats Starbucks and other chains by miles!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Rachel2793

hove
“Angry women in cafes”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I was pleasantly surprised by the Parlour after reading these mixed reviews. The food is very yummy, reasonably priced and the cafe has a warm friendly atmosphere with pleasant staff...
Unfortunately the same cannot be said in regards to some of the other customers. My visit to the parlour on Thursday afternoon was unfortunately ruined by an ill-mannered woman causing a scene over what appeared to be a teabag... This disruption lasted for over 10 minutes as both the staff and customer felt they were above putting the teabag into the cup. This then resulted in a rather loud and public phone call to the manager and left myself and a number of other customers feeling very uncomfortable. In my opinion this woman had nothing better to do with her day than needlessly shout at young members of staff over small matters... and ruin my lunch!
I do not believe this incident is a reflection on the cafe itself or the staff... However the cake slices could be a bit bigger :)

• Visited June 2013
TheParl0ur, Owner at The Parlour, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

The Parlour staff were upset by the review you commented on, especially as the member of staff involved is on the government apprentice scheme and is learning all things hospitality from scratch.

We would love you to come back and have tea and cakes on us for 2.
Just send us an email - Theparlour.brightonmarina@gmail.com and we can email you a voucher.
London, United Kingdom
“Not a place to go for a simple cup of tea.”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We ordered two cups of tea and were presented with a mug of hot water and tea bags in the saucer. A definate make it yourself job! When I asked if boiling water could be poured on the teabag please, I was told no. On questioning this, I was told that this was the way things were done and if I wanted to speak to the manager I could. I took up this offer and although the manager was not on site, I was handed a mobile phone to speak to her. Seemed a very pleasant lady although I could not hear what she had to say expect to hand to phone to a different (more sensible) member of staff. Said member of staff granted my request and I got my cup of tea. Whilst drinking my drink I noticed a blackboard with a message telling people to ask for what they wanted if things were not quite right. I should mention that the girls in The Parlour were very pleasant and it was just one imature male member of staff that spoilt our visit.

• Visited June 2013
TheParl0ur, Owner at The Parlour, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
I am sorry you had such a disappointing visit to The Parlour. You were served by a member of our team who is part of the government apprentice Scheme and as such is learning from scratch everything to do with hospitality.

We have talked with our apprentice after your experience and helped him to understand what went wrong with your experience. We would like to serve tea to you as you would want it and if you mention that you would like the water on the tea we are happy to do so. The majority of our customers like to add the tea bag themselves so they get the strength of Tea they prefer - hence our standard offering of the Tea bag on the side.

Please accept tea and cake on us should you wish to give us another go - just send me an email theparlour.brightonmarina@gmail.com - titled cup of tea and I will send you a voucher.
United Kingdom
“Not a great coffee shop”
Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Pop in for coffee seat down and was rudely asked to go to the counter to order the coffee but lady was at the table to tell as this cheap food brought in not made in shop I feel they just like to make a big profit 2 more coffee shops in the marina a lot better

• Visited April 2013
TheParl0ur, Owner at The Parlour, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
We are sorry to read that you did not have a good experience in The Parlour.

We work hard to keep our prices low whilst using ingredients that are top notch. We taste test everything before it goes on to our menu and reject more ingredients than we accept. Hand making our brownies, flap jacks and lemon and lime cheese cake (to name a few) we like to ensure that our offerings are delicious.

To keep our prices down we serve food to your table or comfy chair, but serve drinks and cakes from the counter, as many other coffee lounges do.

If you have any difficulty with carrying your drinks etc, we are always happy to carry them for you.
Brighton
“Great coffee and dog friendly”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is the antithesis of chain coffee shops. Individual character, airy and dog friendly. Tables and chairs as well as big comfy sofas. Perfect if you are at Brighton Marina and want a snack rather than a restaurant meal. On the fashionable 'land-side' behind the Boardwalk or sea-side. BTW, great latte and pastry. Wide selection of cakes, ice-cream, quiches and pies. As the name suggests, it's a throw back to the coffee shops of earlier decades of the previous millennium; how refreshing. The one thing that was absolutely awful, however, was the background music of dreary, depressing old time and jazz vocals - seems to me totally the wrong choice for a fun day out by the sea, which should evoke sunshine and cheerfulness.

• Visited March 2013