“A fantastic dining experience at the new and exciting GB1 Seafood Restaurant & Bar at The Grand Brighton”

GB1 Seafood Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #91 of 1,141 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Good for: Scenic view, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: One of Brighton's new and glamorous culinary hotspots, GB1 is located within the iconic Grand Brighton. A conveniently short walk from Brighton Station and the city's famous shopping lanes and exceptionally located along Brighton's vibrant seafront. GB1 is open 7 days a week for lunch and dinner and offers the south coast's finest and freshest fish and seafood caught daily. A fantastic a la carte menu, specials from the blackboard and affordable set menus are available. Although fish and seafood dishes dominate the menu, seasonal meat and vegetarian dishes feature. The stunning central champagne and oyster bar seating 20, offers a more relaxed dining area in which to share a seafood platter and watch the expertly trained chefs prepare oysters and other fruit de mer. There are also private dining options within the sea facing terrace or GB2, ideal for canape receptions or private celebrations. Whether you want a quick bite and a glass of Taittinger Champagne, a quiet dinner or celebratory feast, GB1 offers the perfect dining experience for all.
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I just had to write and tell everyone about my favourite new venue to be wined and dined in!

It is the GBI SEAFOOD RESTAURANT AND BAR at The Grand Hotel in Brighton Sussex!

A sumptuous dining extravaganza from early evening to late a night, starting with a wonderful selection of Cocktails sitting in the beautiful lounge bar.

I started with a Margarita, made with fresh limes and a very good quality Tequila in a glass frosted with salt, my husband chose the Bloody Mary - it was perfectly mixed and garnished in a long tall glass.

After a while - we moved into the wonderful GBI SEAFOOD RESTAURANT area - it has r e a l WOW-factor!

The huge raised circular dining area with incredibly comfy high backed soft red leather bar chairs - just wonderful. We both nibbled on "Scallop Popcorn" one of the GB1 own little specialities made in their kitchens. We then started to choose every possible combination of beautifully fresh sea food/crustacea - each starting with six native Oysters - I had them served with a chilli & pickled ginger dressing - delicious! My husand chose the vodka and tomato juice dressing - both were beautifully fresh and full of that real sea-side flavour. To go with our starters we ordered a bottle of lovely crisp, dry, refreshing Chateau de la Roche Touraine Sauvignon Blanc.

For starters, I had the crab meat, creme fraiche and lime, served with some thin crispy wholemeal toast - it was so delicious and beautifully presented. My husband ordered the seared Scallops, black pudding with the cauliflower puree, quail eggs and bacon, again delicious and cooked to perfection.

For the main courses we had the Lobster and Dover Sole - both served with a lovely selection of Shellfish: we chose, cockles, clams, scallops and squid and to accompany our meal we ordered a couple of side dishes : samphire and smoked bacon and some honey mustard new potatoes - again beautifully fresh and cooked to perfection.

The desserts looked out of this world but we were both far too full to choose anything - however the guests nearby eating their desserts said that they tasted just as good as they looked!

We decided to retire to the lounge by the fire for coffees and brandies - a
p e r f e c t end to a truly wonderful dining experience.

Everything was crowned by super service and smiles all round. You could not find fault with any of the staff from the minute we arrived - to the minute we left to go home - they could not have done more to make our evening a complete success and a night to remember.

We will be back again soon to sample even more of the GB1 Restaurant and Bar gourmet delights.

Stanmore
“A (fish)tale of the unexpected”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

GB1 is a quatum leap away from what is expected from the Grand Hotel, not a crisp white table cloth in sight at this shiney new, not so sure what its supposed to be concept. we pre-booked for our mini break weekend and confirmed the reservation on checkin for the first night - no record; this however was quickly rectified and we duly attended. Personally I hate seafood however my wife is a big fan, and connoisseur, the waiting staff offered us a seat at the large horseshoe shaped bar positivly gushing about it being thee new concept (think Yo Sushi - Heathrow Terminal 5 etc) We plumped for a table and slithered onto the long seating running along the back wall. Mr Waiter was knowledgeable and explained the menu well. To begin I ordered Scallops which were very good (if a bit gritty) and my wife had the crab. So far so good. For mains I plumped for an emergency T bone (medium), and my wife had the whole grilled Plaice resplenent with staring eye and intact head -she reported this also to be very good, and had an acompanying 'side 'of prawns two and a half quid for three of them! Muscadet washed it down and the cheeseboard followed it all. One thing here - the cheese is a stingy sliher of three different offerings (Sussex Blue, Stout Cheddar and a herby one) although they do order 5 or 7 different offerings. Now for the moan; we waited (no pun) ages and ages and ages for the main course. The waiting staff were indifferent however when it was pointed out that he delay was slightly too long, a glass of red ("for the steak sir" - how snobby is that!) was ofered and accepted - nothing for my wife (yes of course I shared it with her). Overall though it was a pleasant, if not drawn out meal, and very different in ambience and expectation Personally I recon they've got it wrong and should bring back the individual tables with the tablecloths etc, however 'one mans fish is another mans......' well you be the judge.

2 Thank rover901
“A suprise by the sea”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

Until recently not many hotel restaurants were much to write home about, certainly that was the case in Brightons larger hotels.

Well if last night's experience is anything to go by that has all changed. GB1 is the new seafood restaurant and oyster bar in Brighton's famous Grand Hotel. A clean modern layout and an efficient friendly welcome set a positive tone. A glass of champagne and a few Irish rock oysters started the evening nicely, along with some tasty canapes and some fantastic heavily smoked salmon.

My starter was a platter of delicious Fruit de Mer with lobster, potted crab, langoustine, prawns, clams and mussels it was a fantastic way to start. My main was superb, a fillet of turbut on a bed of more mussels and clams but with scallops and girolles in a rich fish sauce and topped off with samphire - amazing. Great service all through the meal and some wonderful desserts, the only down-side a slightly undercooked crunchy risotto for one of my table companions. On thewhole though, highly recomended!

Brighton, United Kingdom
“10/10! Welcoming, stylish, & stunning food by the sea”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

To all concerned at the GB1 restaurant, I just wanted to send a note to say a huge thank you, for what was a superb celebratory meal with friends, for my birthday, yesterday.

As a former employee of the Grand, I have always known the building itself to be beautiful and traditional. However, the new GB1 restaurant has elevated the Grand to whole new level. The restaurant itself boasts a modern and stylish interior, yet manages to be warm and welcoming at the same time. The balance between the ambience and style of food is absolutely spot on, and the quality of the food is in no doubt whatsoever.

Our table of four received a fantastic level of service that was attentive, but not intrusive, throughout, and the maitre d' upon arrival, was just lovely; I'm sorry, I did not catch her name.

We all thought the menu was a superb selection of quality fish and seafood (plus meat and vegetarian options for those interested in dining here, but not so keen on the seafood); and were really impressed by the waiting staff (primarily Hannah) as they were all very well-informed, and highlighted components of each dish as it was brought to the table, (for example, letting me know about the homemade mayonnaise that accompanied my whitebait starter) which was a great touch.

We all thoroughly enjoyed oysters and moules mariniere, plus three courses - the turbot in particular was delicious, and the desserts to die for - it was hard to choose between a sweet, sticky pineapple tart tatin, the most sublime chocolate fondant, and a silky smooth vanilla pannacotta, amongst others!

I have already booked another couple of friends in for tomorrow evening by recommendation, and we will certainly be back soon. We tried to book in for lunch this Sunday, but naturally, you are fully booked!...

Every aspect of this dining experience from the staff uniforms, to the decor, to the glassware, menu design and presentation of the food, has been so very well thought-out behind the scenes, and delivers an impeccable overall experience, that you should be proud of.

Please thank all of the team, kitchen and chefs, for such a great evening and all the best for your launch party this evening.

I look forward to returning very soon.

Best
Sarah

London
“Great value if you love shellfish! Sunday lunch in elegant setting”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to GB1 for Sunday lunch as we were looking to enjoy local seafood. We were seated at the Champagne & Oyster Bar area as there were no tables for 2 available.

We ordered the crab Fruits de mer Platter for 2. We were both quite hungry and was concerned the platter was not going to be enough for both of us. We were very wrong. Our platter was made up of one very large crab, with prawns, crayfish, razar clams, mussels, oysters and clams. All tasted fresh and delicious. We normally prefer tables, but in this occasion, sitting at the bar, gave us great experience in watching Craig the seafood chef prepare the platter. He also gave us some interesting insight on seafood itself. We were both very satisfied with the amount of seafood and the variety of the shellfish.

The decor was contemporary and elegant. The tables do have views to the beach, so it would have been nice if we were seated at tables.

Lastly, the service was friendly and personal.

Overall, a great dining experience... only a couple of areas where I feel could be improved -
1. We were told no tables for 2 left, however we were there for at least 1 1/2 hours, and there were several empty tables.
2. It took some time before we could get someone's attention to place our order.