“Very good Cava”

Bellota
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish, Wine Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Set back from the iconic Brighton seafront, Bellota is Britain's first independent cava bar serving an array of authentic Spanish tapas. Bellota restaurant fuses tradition with quirky, contemporary design, featuring a charcuterie-style counter and tavern-style dining area. A quaint patio lends itself to al fresco dining, whilst customers can sample award-winning produce, including hand carved jamón ibérico.
Reviewed May 31, 2014

Three of us visited at lunch time and had a selection of 10 dishes between us. We had a good variety of meat fish and vegetarian dishes to choose from. The squid, chicken and omelet were particularly good. A glass of excellent Cava to start with and a very good bottle of white washed it down. Seating and ambiance were good, as was the service that fast and non-intrusive. A good place to sit and watch the world go by.

Mark L, General Manager at Bellota, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2014

Thank you for your kind words.

I am really pleased that you enjoyed our food and on particular our 'cooked to order' tortilla which is one of my favourite dishes.

It was good to see that your service was good and you also enjoyed our Cava and Wine...see yoiu again soon..!

Reviewed May 24, 2014

Eleven of us ate here just before the bank holiday, we all enjoyed the food - we opted for a couple of shared Jamon Ibericos to start and then three tapas each...and then just shared across the table. We had good service on the evening, though the restaurant was fairly quiet. The food when it arrived was all in decent portions and there wasn't a bad word spoken about it..from the pork cheeks, to the langoustines to the Spanish Omelette.

If I was to revisit I would ask for a table near the windows and towards the back of the restaurant. Location was also good as after food we walked on down the lanes to a couple of bars.

Thank you for your great feedback, I am really pleased that you enjoyed the food... the Pork cheeks are our speciality and it is always good to know that our guests have been looked after well. Hope to see you again soon at Bellota...

Reviewed May 22, 2014

Visited this restaurant last Saturday on 17th of May with my friend. After shopping in lanes decided to treat ourselves to some tapas and so much talked about Cava. We walked in and both the terrace and restaurant were quite full. We were greeted straight away by a lovely gent behind the bar. A waitress found us a table quickly and took an order for some drinks. We did not have to wait long - drinks were there pretty sharpish. Out of tapas we tried some pork cheeks, calamaris, seabass, pork steak. Food was amazing!!!! Defo to try those dishes!!!! Cava Codorniu really pleasant, you don't even realise you are drinking alcohol, you will be nicely surprised if you are into sparkly stuff. The service was cery good, waitress was very polite and quick attending. We ended up later at the bar and the gent behind the bar was lovely and chatty, he does have a good knowledge about his drinks. We defo are coming back again for more. Very pleased customers.

1  Thank Brenda O
Mark L, General Manager at Bellota, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2014

Thankyou for your very kind words,It is always very encouraging to read that our guests have had a good time at Bellota. I am very pleased you liked the food especially the Pork Cheeks and the Lubina which are also my favourites...hopefully we will see you again soon for a drop of Cava!

Reviewed May 21, 2014

Service was good enough but thats where it ended.
The food was not at all inspiring and mostly overcooked.
Bland flavours. Aioli tasted like it was bought in. Calamari was far too overcooked and chewy and on reflection, I'd say was likely to have been bought in frozen.
Only reason we went here was because my friend had a taste card.
Not worth the discount.... I'd much rather pay double and actually have a decent tapas.

Mark L, General Manager at Bellota, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Very sad to read this review, very sorry you felt the dishes were overcooked and not seasoned, however this is not usual as we take great care with all our dishes. We don't buy our calamari in frozen, we batter them ourselves to order and we also make our own aioli...?

I would be very grateful if the guest would contact me at the restaurant so we may discuss further

Reviewed May 18, 2014

Tapas is one of our favourite foods and we had high expectations of this restaurant after seeing it changed from a 'La Tasca'. The decor of the restaurant both inside and out is appealing and gives the impression of some authentic Spanish fare.
Sadly the service and food was distinctly poor. We arrived after 9 at night hoping for a couple of tapas and asked if they were still serving 'of course!' was the reply and we were showed to a table. So far, so good. The restaurant wasn't busy at this point and only had another couple of tables in.
We waited for a long time for our order of Tabla de Ibericos (various types of Iberico sausage), Pan Fried Squid, and Tortilla Espanola. The latter we expected to be of a high standard, being the bread and butter of tapas. It was rubbery, dry and tasteless, and had quite clearly been microwaved. The sausage was ok, but nothing particularly special. The squid was rubbery having been vastly overcooked.
Unfortunately the enthusiastic greeting was the first and last time we were shown any standard of customer service. The waitresses just weren't making any effort to be friendly, and the time we waited for food, having it cleared, and the bill would have been acceptable at peak time in a busy restaurant, but ridiculous considering the time and the lack of customers in the restaurant.
We both had a glass of wine and our bill came to £30.
Would not recommend to anyone.

1  Thank PStow
Mark L, General Manager at Bellota, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2014

Thank you for your feedback and I have sent you a message through Trip Advisor so that I can find out when you visited and investigate this very poor experience. As i am sure you can imagine it is very important to our business to give good guest service at all times and we pride ourselves on this so i am very sorry that you were neglected and felt that the staff on duty made no effort to be friendly. Please be assured that this is in no way indicative of the service we provide and hopefully the majority of reviews on here will support that.

With regard to the food I am very disappointed that you didn't receive the best standard and will be investigating this also... We dont however use a microwave for any of our Tapas.

I would be very grateful if the guest would contact me at the Restaurant so that I may discuss this with them further and again I am very sorry that you had such a poor experience.