“A meal with a view...”

The Ocean Restaurant
Ranked #856 of 1,124 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The Ocean Pub Restaurant located between the piers on Brighton Seafront delivers great fresh food with fabulous views.A Comfortable & inviting alternative to regular Brighton town center pubs The Ocean offers a varied menu featuring fresh fish & seafood, grilled steaks, pizza & pasta.The Ocean offers daily specials, 24 hour breakfasts on weekends and a fully featured bar with great beers and cocktails.
“A meal with a view...”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Having traveled down from London for the day I ended a good day out by dining at this place, got seated outside by a friendly female staff member welcoming guests in, had a lovely seafood platter to start with and followed by a very fresh Red Snapper, finished my meal off with an exotic cocktail which so complimented the sunset right in front of us...overall a magnificent experience indeed, well done to all!!!

London, United Kingdom
“Expect nothing so you won't be disappointed.”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Honesty the location was convenient, food very reasonable and pleasant service. Its always easy to criticise.

brighton
“nice pizza and great mussels”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

went to the ocean with my girlfriend last night had pizza and my girlfriend had some mussels.
fast service and friendly we will be back

“Awful”
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

This is the most awful restaurant i ate from really , the meat taste like a horse !!! .. DO NOT TRY IT PLEASE

• Visited September 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Decent fish, poor everything else”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We had a trip out to Brighton from London on Sunday and my girlfriend decided she wanted fish and chips by the sea. As it was raining a little we wanted to eat in somewhere and this looked ok from the outside. The place wasn't busy and the few people in there were Asian tourists. I should have taken this as a sign that it isn't where the locals go but we stayed nevertheless.

I ordered a Newcastle Brown Ale. to drink which took around 15minutes to come after the waiter dropped and smashed the first bottle. When it eventually arrived it was served in a thin tall Peroni pint glass rather than served with a half glass as is customary in Newcastle. I was willing to accept they didn't know this so I let it slide but it was the first sign that they lack any attention to detail.

We ordered a medium hake and chips each (£7) with a side order of mushy peas (£2.50). Had we wanted bread this would have been an extra £2. Thinking it was a little overpriced I went along with it nonetheless as it was what we wanted.

The food took an eternity to arrive but when it did the fish itself was pretty nice. The chips were ok but not as good a standard as your typical local chippy. However, it was served with a side salad which seemed odd as I've never had fish and chips served with a salad before. It was your typical holiday salad too, the type you get from a bag with every single meal when abroad.

I noticed on our table prior to the food arriving was simply a bottle of olive oil. I swapped it for a bottle of vinegar from the nearby empty table. Only then did i realise it was balsamic vinegar. When the food arrived I asked for the malt vinegar and the waiter simply pointed to the balsamic. I explained that it wasn't the correct type of vinegar to have on your fish and chips and he looked baffled. Eventually he did return with a bottle of malt vinegar though. God knows if all of the tourists coming here are putting balsamic vinegar on their fish and chips?

Not once throughout the meal did anyone come to check that everything was ok. Indeed once we had finished we sat for about 15minutes with empty plates waiting for someone to take them away and to get the bill. When it was apparent that this wasn't going to happen I got up to go to the cash desk. Apparently only one member of staff has the responsibility to operate the till so we waited another 5 minutes for the guy to arrive. Upon paying the bill I noticed the service charge had already been added on. I should have asked for money back but given how long I had been in the place i just wanted to get out so grudgingly accepted I had been conned of the extra £2.50. Even on the way out there wasn't even a 'thank you' or a 'goodbye'.
On the way out I did point out to another couple entering that they may wish to rethink their visit so I felt I had at least prevented the owner from getting more undeserved money.

Overall it wasn't completely atrocious but paying around £26 for fish and chips with a drink with very poor service in an almost empty restaurant is not something I would want to repeat.

It may be set in Brighton but it certainly has the feel of a chip shop abroad where someone non-British is attempting to repeat a typically British dish and failing through lack of care and attention.

• Visited September 2013