“Best burger in Brighton”
Review of The Druids Arms

The Druids Arms
Ranked #313 of 1,216 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: American, Mexican, British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Description: Burgers, kebabs and bar snacks. Popping up at The Druids Arms every Wednesday-Saturday. Everything made from scratch using local, seasonal ingredients.
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Putting aside the time it takes to cook them (they are freshly made to order after all!) These burgers are amazing.

There's nothing in Brighton that touches the joy of biting into one of these beauties. It passed the juice running down the wrists test with flying colours.

Highly recommended. Good things really do come to those who wait...

Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

I last posted a review on here on 09.01.13. At that time the Troll was operating only out of his van at the Wood store in Brighton.

It was a somewhat erratic affair, especially when he experimented with having new staff take over the operation, but on the whole it worked (despite the sometimes mind boggling waiting times) and the burgers were nothing short of delicious.

10 months on and the Troll is at Streetmarket, the Hobgoblin and the Brumswick.

However, the reason I feel the burgers have gone down to a '2' is that his burgers will now only be cooked 'well done'. To his credit, and as ever, he has sought to inform his customers about why he has decided to do this on his website- in short it is about food safety.

However, any decent place where I have ever had a great burger have allowed them to served 'rare' or 'medium'.

I would say that his once wonderful beef pattie is no better than a fatter MacDonald's 'type' pattie. It does not do his well sourced meat any justice whatsoever.

What does continue to be better than most other operators, much better, is the toppings which continue to be delicious, but what is the point if the pattie isn't spot on?

I would have thought that relatively fresh mincing would reduce the risk, but maybe with expanding his operation the Troll would have to delegate this task to his staff who may not do it with the care it requires?

I will really miss his delicious burgers as he was on to something, but I won't be having another one until he changes his policy.

Paul C, Owner at The Druids Arms, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2013

Hi. I completely feel your sentiments regarding well done burgers. For me there is no finer thing in the world than a medium rare burger. However, I am not able to sell them like that, not due to any policy of mine, but because it is against FSA regulations. In fact, I have it on good authority that there is not a single place in Brighton and Hove that is legally selling undercooked burgers. FSA are investigating all of them and I doubt it will be long before they are made to stop. It is possible to prepare the meat in such a way that it can be sold rare, however the cost of this process would make my burgers unaffordable, which is why there are no places in Brighton that do this. I do understand how you feel, if there was a way I could do them medium rare I would. It has nothing to do with expanding or not trusting my staff, I'm just obeying the law and putting the interests of the publics health as a top priority. I do feel it a little unfair to penalise us on trip advisor for doing this, when so many other places aren't taking your safety into consideration. I understand if you would rather take a gamble and have a medium rare burger elsewhere rather than return to us, that's up to you. I'm aware many customers are doing the same. I am going to be spending a lot more time behind the griddle and the Hobgoblin from this week where I am working on a method to improve the cooking methods of the well done burgers so that there is a trace of pink, but cooked to a safe temperature. I won't be anything like rare though, that's simply not possible.

Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

Completely unexpected or planned but glad I popped in here because the place next door had a powercut... everything happens for a reason! The Smokey was the juciest well cooked burger I have experienced with the home made fresh brioche... 35 day mature beef with bacon, cheese and bbq sauce just perfect. The setting is great too abd has a warm atmosphere you wouldnt expect from a pub garden. Try for yourself... cash only however im sure you could get one if you wanted for VAT purposes!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I introduced many people to Troll's pantry before it moved into a pub style catering and everyone simply loves the burgers.
I agree with the points some people make about not having chips with the burger, though to be honest - the chips you get in the pub in Hove are not actually amazing (the burgers make up for it).
I often go to the friday street market for lunch - nice and central :-)

Reviewed October 9, 2013

This place wins hands down for creating the the best burgers ever! They are full of flavour, moist and bloody lovely!