“Best burger I have ever eaten.”
Review of The Druids Arms

The Druids Arms
Ranked #475 of 1,176 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: American, Mexican, British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Description: Burgers, kebabs and bar snacks. Popping up at The Druids Arms every Wednesday-Saturday. Everything made from scratch using local, seasonal ingredients.
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

Quite simply the best burger I have ever had. Yes you have to wait a bit, yes it is a trailer, but it's also amazing.

I had the Hellfire burger and, on top of the juicy and beef patties and delicious sauces and slaw, the amount of heat was spot on: not too weak but it's also not going to scorch your taste buds. Don't worry about the absence of fries or anything like that, one double burger was enough for my large appetite.

Will visit again for sure!

2  Thank icgy

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Going solely on recommendations from trip advisor we visited this interesting burger van parked in a wood yard. Had a good chat with the owner while he cooked our 'smokey mountain' burgers. Quite possibly the best burger I have ever tasted, so glad we didn't share one like my wife suggested!

2  Thank William N
Reviewed February 21, 2013

All organically and ethically produced, these burgers are the best you'll ever have! And so original in flavours!

I recommend the hellfire, so delicious if you like a bit of spice! The guy who runs it is the most friendliest man on the planet.

2  Thank kattttt
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Due to reading recent reviews online I was intrigued enough to try the food out at “the trolls pantry”, Brighton.
I decided to take my teenage niece along and due to the eagerness arrived too early at 1100hrs. The temporary structure however had no boards up so we returned a little later after discovering the opening time of 11:30hrs.
On return the van now had the boards outside and the smell was intoxicating. There were two clients waiting for their order. The choices of the day were two burgers:

1) The (original) Troll's Stink Breath - Troll Stink sauce (anchovie, Molecombe blue cheese, Langham Brewery hip hop beer) marinated anchovies, salad, onion rings, St Giles cheese.
2) The smoking moutain : Bourbon bacon jam, home made BBQ sauce, smoked foresters cheese, caramelised onions, garlic mayo, seasonal salad..

My niece and I both decided to tackle the double “smoking mountain” burger as I have a large appetite and she is a teenager after all and was “starving”. They are sold as both singles (£7) and doubles (£9.50). This is for the price on the burger alone and does not have any sides. On speaking to the owner he stated that he has currently stopped making fries due to the amount of preperation time and concentrating more on burgers.
I watched the owner carefully construct my burger.
The meat is in the burger had been minced already. He weighed the burgers into approximately 135g patties. The mince is 100% local Longhorn cattle and is aged 35 days. This is the second most succelent burger meat I have had only to bison in Canada. I discovered the bourbon jam was made by the owner and takes around 2 hours to make. Everything in this burger was finely selected for the qualitity and where possible obtain from local sources.
The burger was contructed and had the hard cheese placed upon it. It was left on the grill made from bottom pattie to top bun and a lid placed over it, water was placed underneath which steamed the remaining meat melting the cheese into the masterpiece underneath. (looked like something from man vrs food).This was taken out after a short period and placed on the lower bun/garlic mayo and seasonal salad.
The burger are cooked to order and takes about 5 - 10 minutes to contruct and cook which is mindful if your in a rush. Whilst we were waiting approximately 6 more orders were placed.
I took my burger and raced to my car to sit down to enjoy it. I wont spoilt the experience however I can say it was amazing. This was hands down the best burger I have had in the UK in any restaurant, food outlet. I managed to finish the double burger however the starving teenager only managed ¾ of hers which gives you a rough idea of size. Since my experience I have not stopped raving about the place to anyone who speaks about food.
The only draw back to the “the trolls pantry” is the opening times. I maybe wrong however I believe its open wed - sat and roughley 11:30hrs - 14:00hrs/1500hrs. I think however this also helps its reputation as Brighton best kept secret.
I have read other reports online on here and facebook - yes it does not have seating however its in an industrial estate so really do you need to ? Also its tucked out of the way so you’ve gone there for the food mainly. The price - where possible the ingredents are locally sourced and you pay for quality. If you want a cheap , nasty burger with unknown meat contents go somewhere else.

1  Thank Garreth_Evans
Reviewed February 10, 2013

A male friend RAVED about them plus I'm married to a burger aficionado so we had to try it out. I ordered the Smoky Mountain single patty and waited, in the freezing cold for 15 minutes. Was it worth it?
YES - juicy, flavoursome, 100% longhorn steak mince topped with amazing, homemade sauces and held together within homemade brioche buns. Yes it's a burger van and you will pay between £6-£9 a burger but boy it's worth it for the garlicky burps alone.
Paul needs to open a restaurant!!!

2  Thank Only1rara