“The room was better than i expected”

Istanbul EV Guest House
Ranked #67 of 97 Brighton B&B and Inns
“The room was better than i expected”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I went with my two friends for a weekend away and was pleasantly surprised ( we all shared the same room)

The room ( a family room) was better than I expected after reading its reviews and how cheap it was!
Location was good

Only bad thing was the person above us was making a load of noise!! and was a lil chilly at night
But room was clean & beds were comfy

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Bedford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Took my son to brighton for a overnight stay,I looked online before and most rooms were full.i found the Istanbul ev guest house and at £60.00 it was almost the cheapest so we booked for one night...
You get what you pay for I think,the room was small,needed decorating and some minor repairs but the bed was ok with clean sheets and towels provided and very close to the pier and attractions so we felt it was ok..
There was alot of noise but this is central brighton so if you want a quiet night go sleep in a field!
The staff were very friendly and polite and with a lovely breakfast and coffee we enjoyed the overnight stay....it's what you make it I say

Room Tip: You won't get a sea view but for£60.00 what do you want ???
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Richard C
London, Canada
Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed for one night, and as a place to rest our heads in central Brighton it achieved its purpose. However, it was cramped, horribly loud, and gave off the impression of needing a good cleaning (to be fair, it wasn't dirty so much as just seeming quite grimy). The noise was the biggest dealbreaker; we were constantly woken throughout the night from the sound of slamming doors and the constant racket of late-night partying outside despite having our windows shut (it's very close to Brighton's clubs). The walls were paper thin within the building as well; we heard every door slamming and far more than we wanted to from all the neighbors. The room was so small that we could barely walk around the bed to the sink once we had put our two suitcases in the room.

On the plus side, the location is excellent (provided you don't have a car; parking would have been a nightmare); it's a very short walk to all major Brighton attractions, and the Ferris wheel is at the end of the street.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Location is the only good thing to say about it.

Health is the most important thing for me, and the mold on the water pipe, in the shower room and in the air gave me creeps! I could smell the mold in my clothes for several days after leaving the place.

I wouldn't ever go there again and won't recommend it to anyone, especially if you are allergic. Floor carpets also were dirty and the breakfast was too cold.

I feel sorry for the employees there, they kept sniffing all the time. :(

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Sniff_N
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Room : bed clean comfy and towels were changed / bin emptied / bed made.
Ensuite Shower issued hot water but failed to drain away, toilet failed to flush anything away.
Telly limited to one channel. Fridge failed to work, coffee facilities why bother at all!
Breakfast : tea didn't look like but thankfully tasted like tea. Cold toast, (had to request butter) over cooked slice bacon over cooked egg, a quarter of tomato and a slice of mushroom and baked beans.
Back ground music ... Tinny sounding Turkish ...

Place needs a makeover!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank LittleShazza
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I booked a Travelodge in Brighton for three nights whilst I was at a music festival, I needed to add another room for two people but it was fully booked. I found the The Istanbul Ev Guest House
And booked it. Having read the reviews I was not expecting much at all and my friend even brought a sleeping bag with him!

Clean towels everyday, less than a minute to the seafront and big wheel, minutes from the pubs and shops in Kemptown.

I can't say what all the rooms were like but ours was fine and baring in mind the last hotel I stayed at was a five star resort I had recently been spoilt.

The price was fantastic, especially as Brighton had a few festivals on and everyone else had bumped their prices up.

We arrived and were pleasantly surprised. The young lady that greeted us was lovely and could not have been nicer or more helpful. She showed us to our room which although it was small it was clean, nicely decorated and had everything we needed. We did not have an en suite ( which we knew at time of booking) but the toilet and shower were just out on the landing along with another one just down the next few stairs. We had a sink, wardrobe, kettle, tea making facilities, towels made into swans! Yes the street outside is noisy but to be this close to the busy seafront or anywhere near a road in Brighton would be the same. We only experienced the sounds of vehicles rather than actual people.
Breakfast was lovely and once again the young lady serving us could not have been more helpful.

I hope to return again and will book the The Istanbul Ev Guest House again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Chelmsforduk
Luton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My girlfriend and I wanted a cheap B&B right on the Seafront, this was perfect!
they charge £32 a night, not £70 as previously stated.

Upon arrival I was asked to pay the remainder of the balance by cash or card, I chose card and was charged £5 extra for the privilege.

The Brighton Pier and Wheel are right outside the front door. and it is a short walk around the corner to a few quirky restaurants and a Tesco express.

The guest house provided two sealed water bottles - which was great for me as I came in rather drunk one night.

The rooms are very basic - but you get what you pay for, it is also a shared bathroom between three rooms - this was never an issue though as everyone was out at different times of day - this meant you could pretty much take your time to do whatever.

Heating was an issue - The room was actually colder than outside, however my partner and I rarely spent time there and the Duvets are so thick and poofy, you feel like you will never be cold again.

The Staff are very friendly at breakfast and food took no longer than 5 minutes to arrive at the table. (Breakfast is obviously included in the price)

A big issue was leaving. guests are asked to leave by 10:00 am - this is slightly annoying as you don't have time to have a quick trip to the beach before check out - you do however have the option to stay later at extra cost of course.

I would recommend this hotel for it's absolutely awesome location.

Summary. Pros: Excellent location, Polite staff, Cheap, Good Value.

Cons: Cold Rooms, Extortionate Card Charge.

Room Tip: Go in the Spring/Summer, the rooms aren't so cold.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple