“What a shame....”

La Choza
Ranked #83 of 1,124 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Delivery, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
London, United Kingdom
“What a shame....”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

I'll keep review short and sweet.

Popped in on a Thursday lunchtime as the smell wafting out was delicious.
The place is packed out but we get the last remaining table. Orders are taken swiftly and drinks are brought over. All going swimmingly...

And then a 35 minute wait to be served a burrito. A very nice burrito to their credit, but I begrudge waiting over half an hour for something which takes 5 minutes to prepare. I know how long it took to prepare because people were coming in off the street and placing takeaway orders and leaving with their food.

Come on La Choza, sort it out!

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Yummy cocktails”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Eaten here a few of times, really tasty reasonably priced food and the cocktails are fantastic. Love the atmosphere and feel of the place, and I've never minded waiting for a table. I will say that this may be because they are busy, or there's quite a lot of hype around the place now, but the service can sometimes be quite offhand and borderline rude. So for those who hold friendly personal service as something important, I'm not sure if this would be the place for you.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“No better solo visit”
Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

Happily waited one hour for a solo table. Knew from the outset it would be worth it. When I arrived (following a phone prompt) I enjoyed a tequila sunrise and snacked on nachos whist investigating the various house dips. When seated I chose the quesadilla base with pulled pork filling and green tomatilla salsa. When the food arrived I can genuinely say it was the best Mexican food I've ever tasted. Subtle sweet spices combined exquisitely with the more fiery. The service from Charlie was perfection. His attention in recognisable discomfort in being a solo guest (not something I have experience with) made all the difference. Then having enjoyed the indulgence of churros I was treated to a complementary tequila shot. Truly it made me happy. Awesome gratifying evening. Thankyou.

Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
“Didn't actually get to eat here...”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

We'd heard good things and were looking forward to lunch here. We didn't realise there was a waiting list and there was no one at the door to seat us so we sat ourselves. We were promptly asked to get up as the table was booked for someone else, and told we had to leave a number and would get a call when there was room for us, then shown the door. An hour later and no phone call, we went to our favorite restaurant instead. We haven't bothered to go back. Such a shame.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank becci_62
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Wonderful taste extravaganza”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Better half lived in Mexcico city for a couple of years so the billing of authentic street food would need to be amazing to please her majesty. Received the thumbs up for being fresh and tasty and cooked to perfection. Simple uncomplicated menu, good specials and excellent service. Lunch for 2 with 1 starter and soft drinks just over £ 18. Was Monday lunch so plenty of tables but filled up fast. Nice atmosphere.