“Poor Service not baby friendly”
Review of La Choza

La Choza
Ranked #82 of 1,133 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Bangalore, Karnataka, India
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Poor Service not baby friendly”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

The baby chair was faulty and would not fit securely. So held my baby in my hands and ate my lunch. The wait staff did not mention the special or say that I had help myself to water and so had a sour expression when I asked for tap water.

The wait staff were more interested in fawning for the b-list celebrity and his posse in the next table.

Food was extremely ordinary. I have eaten better Mexican food.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Malini S

“Quirky and delicious!”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We visited La Choza after a recommendation from a friend and we were not disappointed. We were sat down straight away, and our waitress was very helpful, bringing over a selection of salsas and nachos for us to try.
The starters were delicious, and the pulled pork on my main course was incredible! We treated ourselves to a margherita each, and they were zesty and smooth, with no trace of any artificial tastes. We had a dessert each too, which you must do if you go.
Overall, I have nothing bad to say about my experience at La Choza at all!

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Vibrant restaurant in a vibrant location”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Was full at around 8pm on a weekday evening but we gave our mobile number and went for a drink in a pub down the road; sure enough half an hour later we were summoned. Well worth the effort. Really authentic Mexican is a rarity but this is the DB, and we loved it. Noticed that a certain 'Wossy' was in there this week too!

Brighton, United Kingdom
“Fun, casual & great food”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I returned for my 5th visit over the w/e and it just keeps getting better and better. The staff have always been very upfront about the expected wait on my visits, giving me and my companions time to nip round the corner and have a pint (the Dorset is your best bet!) – they’ll even give you a call to let you know that the table is ready. The fact that you can't book is all part of the charm - I think the last reviewer failed to embrace that. The burritos (smoked pulled pork or chorizo for me) are superb but the standout dish is, perhaps surprisingly, the corn on the cob - smothered with a lime mayonnaise, parmesan cheese, coriander and chilli...bizarre but truly brilliant. The staff are always great fun and, most importantly, they know their chilli sauces!

Chania Town, Greece
“Should have choza different restaurant!”
Reviewed April 6, 2013

Very disappointing experience to put it mildly. Also unlike any Mexican food we have ever eaten. Understandably it was a Saturday afternoon and very busy. We asked to wait 'minutes' for a spare table but there was no communication or apology, or even the offer of a drink while we were waiting, which was a much longer wait than expected. The service was appalling. Eventually the waitress took our drinks order which never arrived and yet other people were being served. Drinks order was mixed up and had to be re-ordered and eventually arrived. The waitress said she would give a discount on the bill (this also never happened and she had to be reminded when the bill eventually arrived.} The burritos were full of rice with little meat and very stodgy and the bill came to £74 for three including a tepid burrito to take away. I would say that it offered terrible value for money, is unauthentic Mexican food and probably one of the worst customer services to be had in Brighton. One member of staff - I believe a senior person also seemed to be suffering from selective deafness when we tried to get attention. I for one will never recommend this place and the only recommendation I could make is that the restaurant takes their staff training and attitude seriously.

3 Thank Maggie N