“Good atmosphere and tasty food”
Review of Yum Yum Ninja - CLOSED

Yum Yum Ninja
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 4, 2013

The tables are arranged in a similar fashion to Wagamama i.e. long tables and benches, albeit on a smaller scaller, but the restaurant was full when we arrived at 18:30 on a Saturday, so we ended up sitting at the bar. This turned out to be a good move as we had a good view of all the dishes being plated up when they came out of the kitchen. Most of the dishes on the menu are intended to be shared. None of the dishes we tried were spicy, but they were definitely very tasty and freshly cooked. We selected a few dim sum and a fish dish, and then ordered some additional dishes based on things we liked the look of when they came out of the kitchen. I thought the menu was varied and generally reasonably priced - the only exception was our scallop dish which was, although delicious, very expensive for 3 small scallops. They do an 'all you can eat' dim sum on a Sunday for £20pp. However, I think you would be hard pushed to get value for money as each person would need to order 6 or more. Service was friendly and efficient. Our waitress was new and wasn't knowledgeable about the dishes, but I got the impression that overall, the rest of the staff knew their stuff. Service only fell down when we wanted to pay and leave - so typical of many restaurants! I didn't have great expectations of this restaurant given the multitude of dodgy venues that had occupied that space in the past, but my preconceptions were unfounded and I suspect I will go there regularly when I am in town.

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I've been here 3 times now and I've enjoyed every single time. The atmosphere is cozy, warm and a great place to spend some time after a hard day. Being a foodie I quite like unusual food and/or classic dishes with a twist. So this place was enjoyable for me. I can see it being quite intimating for less adventurous diners (the hair quail eggs even for me were a bit odd and I like quail eggs!)

The service is friendly without being too pushy and I think most things are priced appropriately. The Sunday all you can eat dim sum is only worth it if you have 3 or more dishes. Otherwise it's not worth doing. I recommend the oysters as they were fresh and tasted lovely. Oh and the coconut sorbet was something pretty special!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

The quality and flavours of the food are incredible, there's lots of great dishes to choose from, a great variety on the menu. The staff were very attentive to our needs without being a nuisance, I felt very well looked after. The waitresses we were very lucky to have, Lucy and Emma, are honestly the nicest, most genuine restaurant staff I have ever met. They were so helpful in accommodating my dietary requirements of no wheat and didn't make me feel uncomfortable in the slightest. Their manner and approach made it feel like they were friends helping you out and making you welcome. I honestly cannot wait to return very soon!
They also have private rooms to hire for free which hold parties of 12 or for families to use. They include a courtyard where kids can roam safely or where adults can pop out to smoke. Upstairs on Friday and Saturday nights there is an awesome cocktail bar, look forward to checking this out next time!

Reviewed January 13, 2013

went in were given complimentary nibbles. then when we said the children didnt want the 'all you can ea't but just something off the menu, they said we all had to have something off the main menu or we all had to have the all you eat. would have left if had'nt started our drinks and eaten the nibbles(very uncomfortable)once we had ordered our mains they arrived without any rice, which although fair enough still think we should have been told. after we left, still feeling hungry, we went to the giggling squid. which was a totally different experience althogether. my impression of yumyum ninjas is that it has been set up by a rich kid who's been travelling around asia and then said 'daddy please please please'. i hope he didnt work to hard for this money coz i see it going down the drain.

1  Thank ian m
Reviewed January 3, 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful selection of Asian food - the way the menu is structured, you can choose lots of different dishes, which is fortunate as their food is so tasty I wouldn't want to only be able to try one or two dishes in a visit! We also got a basket of complimentary Asian nibbles on arrival, including the best kimchi I've ever had, and some upmarket prawn crackers.

I particularly enjoyed their twist on a baozi, or steamed bun - I used to love these when I lived in China and this is the first place in the UK I've found that doesn't anything similar.

The atmosphere on Friday night was laid back yet buzzy - we came here as an evening out in itself, but I could imagine it being a great place to start too.

The service was warm and helpful.