“Close but no masala” 3 of 5 bubbles

Shahi Tandoori
Ranked #439 of 1,098 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Balti, Bangladeshi
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Close but no masala”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

I used to come here a fair bit, but one day I received a call to say that the reservation we'd made was a bit awkward as they'd had a last minute group booking, so could we do significantly earlier. Unfortunately it really wasn't convenient...so we were bumped!

Having been a regular patron in terms of dining in and take away, I was very disappointed. Prior to moving to Brighton, I had been used to regularly patronising a good curry house and building a good rapport with the staff/owners, and to have that happen was a first.

So, despite fairly good solid curries and sundries, I have switched allegiance to another local alternative and have been very well looked after since, sampled some new dishes and am very happy.

Felt very let down by Shahi

• Visited March 2013

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Good value and good portions!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2013

I was working away in the area, fancied a curry on a budget and got it right with The Shahi. I'm a google checkaholic when I'm out of my local area so with the mixed reviews on TA I took my chance on this place. It's close to the Preston Road Travelodge- tick. It does set menu-tick. Has Cobra on draught-tick. Opted for the 5 course set menu, I paid extra for a keema nan but got mushroom rice at no extra cost. There's a great choice on the menu which I don't think there are any restrictions with set menu. I had 2 pints of Cobra with it, a hot towel with the bill and 2 chocolates in a pleasant atmosphere with attentive but not rushing you out staff. All for under £23.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Andy H
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Food was sub-standard”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

We were looking for a good Indian restaurant that delivered in Brighton for one of those evenings where everyone was exhausted and fancied a bit of a treat. I checked Trip Advisor and came up with Shahi Tandoori, which isn't too far from us and therefore the food would still be nice and hot when it arrived (it wasn't, - much of it was lukewarm).

I'll get to the point: when the food arrived, some of it was absolutely dreadful, namely my wife's Lamb Tikka Korma and my son's Chicken Tikka Masala (neither dishes I would choose myself, but they were safe bets for people who don't like things too spicy). The colour and consistency of the dishes were off-putting, from the start. The texture was bitty, they tasted very sugary and, worse still, the Tikka Masala tasted exactly the same as the Korma, the only difference was that it was a really fake bright orange. My Madras was average - I've had worse, I've had much better - and the sundries, the only ray of light in this dismal meal (naan, onion bhaji, samosa, king prawn butterfly), were all pretty decent. My daughters' friend chicken and chips wasn't what I expected - it was large chicken nuggets in breadcrumbs and chips... a little over-priced for £6.25 each, I though. All-in-all, this meal cost over £50 - thankfully we had a 25% discount from HungryHouse to make the price a little more bearable but, still, this was one of the worst Indian meals I've had for a long time and, it's fair to say, I won't be ordering from them again or visiting them soon.

I really cannot imagine why this place is so highly rated on TA. Don't believe it.

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JeffLynnesBeard
Brighton
“Predictably over-rated”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

We got a takeaway from this place based on the high TA rating and because it's one local indian restaurant we haven't tried, although it has been established here for many years. Jalfrezi, Dansak, garlic king prawn, a house special, aloo gobi, bhindi, nan ; so mostly usual indian restaurant fare and therefore easy to compare with other establishments. Don't hold your breath: cooking lacked any subtlety and apart from looking different, it was hard to say that any dish had a distinctive or appealing flavour. Quality and taste was at best average. Might have been satisfactory after several beers but much less appealing without.

It's very difficult to find a decent curry in Brighton, although there are perhaps 2 places that spring to mind; this in not one of them.

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Nelliekay
“Party of 2 halves”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Large group of us booked in for 7pm. Unfortunately 3 were late so none of us got to order until over an hour later. However most other diners in the restaurant had been served their main course so this shouldn't have been a problem..unfortunately it was.

One half of table had finished their starters before the other half (including me) hadn't got theirs. Same with main course, I was eating mine when someone on the other half was having her after dinner coffee.
Food ok and waiting staff were pleasant. I have eaten here with a few friends and things were fine but this isn't the first time I have encountered problems when eating with a large group.
It would appear they struggle to cope with large groups.

• Visited June 2013