“An Adequate Stay”

Ranked #23 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
London, United Kingdom
“An Adequate Stay”
Reviewed June 28, 2014

I stayed here for one night, my room was large and comfortable, overlooking gardens and with a good view of the sea, the shower room small but functional.
Check was smooth, friendly and efficient, there is a ground floor bar and I took the lift to the Second Floor.
Having arrived at One o clock I was able to take advantage of the first come first serve parking at £15 per night.
The hotel is in urgent need of a facelift although I suspect that such is the demand for rooms in Brighton they are probably making money.
The hotel is situated bang on the sea front almost opposite the old ruined pier, about a ten minute walk to the town centre.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Iain L, General Manager at The Brighton Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Thanks for your response and I was pleased that you enjoyed your stay. The hotel does upgrade areas each year however is a listed building with limitations on what changes can be made without changing the character.

Iain Lindsay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Indonesian first
ENGLAND
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Stayed 4 nights last week and I have to say, slept like a log all week in my ‘double room’.
Took a bit of getting used to-I kept knocking things off shelves until I was acclimatised to the limited space.
One of my colleagues had a room with a sea view which in retrospect was a mistake, as he was kept awake by idiots playing with a Frisbee outside till the early hours.
The breakfasts were varied –the boiled eggs with dippy soldiers were excellent, given it must be 30 years since I had them last.
Shower could do with some maintenance as the hose kept falling on me as the connection was partly broken. I was also attacked by a flying dial, unhinged by the vibrating shower, which I had to stick back on.
Free wi fi was handy.
Bar was ok but needs more chairs and a choice of at least one beer-only lager and Guinness available.
Staff were lovely and attentive.
Wouldn’t go back due to the small rooms.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Mike S
Iain L, General Manager at The Brighton Hotel, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Thank you for your review and I am sorry your found the bedroom too small. The hotel is listed and has various sizes of rooms. I was pleased to read you enjoyed your dippy soldiers and our free WIFI. Unfortunately we have tried selling draught beer however the demand was just not there. We sell a selection of bottled beers as an alternative.

Perhaps you will consider returning and booking a larger room.

Dublin
Reviewed June 17, 2014

What a great seafront location however things go downhill from here. Shabby room with a small corner high up window which constituted my sea view...disappointing!! I mostly could see a peeling corner of the building rather than the sea! While the bathroom was modernised the shower sounded like a jet plane taing off.
Comfortable bed but little facilites ot storage in the room, very basic.Sleeping wasn't a problem once you had no neighbours or in my case drilling and hoovering next door up until 10.30pm, was this really necessary? No fridge, air con or even a pen and paper. The window only opened out a small bit, with chains attached, which wasn't a problem until the rain came and it wouldn't close so the window ledge was full of water.
Overall it was functional and clean and did feel safe but lacked in so many ways. A shame.

Room Tip: Top floor better for a quiet sleep but if you are paying for a sea view make sure you are not stuck...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your review and I apologise we did not meet your expectations. The hotel is a three star metro hotel which indicates limited service. At three star level you would not normally find a fridge or air conditioning (unless purpose build today). The windows are restricted for health and safety reasons. Each room should have a pen and paper which I will discuss with the housekeeper. As you say the hotel is clean and functional which is what we aim to provide as we are not in the luxury market.

Pershore
Reviewed June 11, 2014

This Best Western has a great location and comfortable beds. The service was ok and if I could get a reasonable rate would use again. I paid less than £70 for the room but would not have been happy had I paid more. The bathroom was tiny and although a 'deluxe room' the bathroom needed some love. Was basic but adequate taking into account the room charge.

Room Tip: The sea view rooms do have a great outlook but I get the impression from other reviews that the room...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and I was pleased to read you would stay again depending on the price. Our pricing structure similar to the airline model and is based on supply and demand.

I hope you will take advantage of one of offers in the future.

Colchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We booked up this hotel as a family for what I thought was an eye watering £175 (no breakfast inc) so was expecting something special. Imagine being given a room that you went down to the hotel depths to find, and opening the door found what can only be described as a dingy depressing and I think unsafe room! Dirty windows that had dirty nets compounded by prison style metal bars (Heaven help you if there was a fire, no escape!) 2 mins in there was enough before we complained and I must say most helpfully given a much better room with sea view and sofa bed for our child. Top marks for helpfulness but my advice is don't book the family room.

Room Tip: Avoid the family room
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank kevan w
Thanks for your review and comments. I can assure you there is fire exits from the lower ground floor rooms and all has been agreed with the fire authorities. I was pleased that on this occasion we were able to give you a complimentary upgrade. Due to being a listed building the room vary in size and location within the building and are priced accordingly subject to supply and demand in the city similar to the airline pricing model.

england
Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

We arrived and before going to our room I asked to see it first.
Good job I did. It was a pokey back side room with the most disgusting shower I've ever seen in a hotel.
They showed me to a front sea view room which had been refinished then asked me for 40.00 more to stay there.
I refused because AS A FREQUENT STAYER I SHOULD BE AUTOMATICALLY UPGRADED TO THEIR BEST AVAILABLE ROOM FREE OF CHARGE !!!!
We had a room on 4 th floor front of hotel. Bathroom nice and new room ok and clean BUT this hotel needs sound proofing, kept awake by people shouting and rowing next door, traffic noise terrible. Heat in the room unbearable .
You can hear rooms below you and beside you showering , flushing loo and just normal level speech.
The carpets on the corridors and stairs are thread bear and totally worn out.
The breakfast room is sparse and basic , not a table cloth or runner really tacky and nasty.
These hotels buy into the best western name but sadly let them down big time.

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Benson605089

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels