“I would stay here again ”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Brighton Hotel

The Brighton Hotel
Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
Ruardean, United Kingdom
“I would stay here again ”
Reviewed April 18, 2014 via mobile

The room 119, with a sea view, was clean comfortable though the en-suite was very small. In fact we had to sit sideways on the toilet!!! The breakfast was very good and the staff friendly, courteous and helpful. Parking a niggle, but 2 minutes down the road is a secure parking area cost £20 for 24hr, which is comparable with other towns. I would come here again, but try to get here earlier to get one if the 10 onsite parking spaces.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Iain L, General Manager at The Brighton Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2014
Thank you for your review and I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and would stay at the hotel again. I hope you arrive early enough on your next visit to be able to have one of the parking spaces. i look forward to you returning.

Iain Lindsay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Indonesian first
Farnham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

I had a small room almost entirely occupied by a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was somewhat run-down with a very noisy power shower. I was unable to get BBC 1 on TV. Other channels worked fine. General state of hotel requires considerable investment to justify the room rate of more than £150 excluding breakfast. This was cheaper if booked in advance of the morning at £6 vs £9. Rough figures. Wifi worked well. I was in room 420.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We stayed via groupon, sadly the room was very small but after speaking with reception we moved to a lovely room straight away. A lot of people have moaned about slopping rooms, but we found this added to the quirky ness and quaintness to this big old building apparently dating back to 1800's.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and breakfast was nice with a great view of the sea. The hotel is in a great position and will be fab once the whole refurb is complete.

Was a bit unsure why Christmas songs were being played in reception, on a lively sunny April afternoon.

Would definately stay again

Room Tip: If your unhappy with your room ask for a different one, the reception are very accommodating
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review and I was pleased that you enjoyed the quirky ness and quaintness of the building. I am sorry I cannot answer why we had Christmas music playing in April but will be discussing with the team. Thanks for your comments about the staff. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

I've stayed at this hotel several times over the years. First time was due to the location, but the friendliness of the staff and service provided on this occasion mean this has been my first choice hotel when staying in Brighton.

On the sea-front, and not too far from the town centre, with a street full of restaurants that cater for all tastes.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Thanks for making us your first choice of hotel when staying in Brighton. The comments on the team are appreciated and will be passed on to them. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Iain lindsay
Portsmouth
Reviewed April 12, 2014

The hotel is right on the seafront and I had views of the sea from by room at the side of the hotel. The furniture was a bit tatty and the bathroom was about as small as you'll find anywhere but everything was clean. Breakfast was good and all the staff were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your review and I am pleased you enjoyed the great seaviews. I was disappointed that the room did not meet your expectations. The bathroom sizes vary throughout the hotel however the building is listed and it is difficult to make changes to the room and bathroom sizes. We are refurbishing the bathrooms to provide modern fittings inthe space available. i do hope you will return to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

I ran the Brighton Marathon last Sunday and despite booking late (February) I managed to find a room at Best Western Brighton. I was alarmed at the cost of the room (all the hotels in Brighton charged a premium that weekend as the Marathon was taking place, the Best Western was not alone). The front of house staff were welcoming and very friendly. The room was clean, beds were comfortable. But the sound proofing was appalling and the noise of another guest walking across the room above disturbed my friend and I during the night. The shower room was very small indeed. I stayed a second night in a single room and was told that I could not have a room with a bath, despite requesting one. The head of the bed was positioned by the door to the room and the door moved in and out all night. The shower head was fixed and provided a lukeish warm trickle. However, my main irritation though is that the staff managed to get Sunday morning breakfast completely wrong. There is a lot of anxiety about taking part in a running event and particularly in running a marathon. Runners have trained for weeks to be in the right frame of mind physically and mentally to run the marathon well and without injury. Nutrition is key particularly in the last week or so and even more so on the morning of the marathon. Breakfast started too late, was staffed by inexperienced members of staff, fruit (and in particular bananas) seriously thin on the ground, but the worst sin of all - runners were told by a couple of waiting staff that there was no porridge! I took my own and asked for them to make it up for me using water - they used milk! I was then presented with a bowl of what looked like wall paper paste. The waitress explained what had happened and that she had had to make up some more using the hotel porridge. I said that I understood that the hotel did not have porridge, but she told me that they did have porridge but this information was too late for many of the runners who had had to find another suitable cereal (weetabix, cornflakes or rice crispies) to eat. I understand that this is the fourth year that Brighton has hosted a marathon. The hotel needs to do its homework to provide the best environment (ie getting breakfast right) for the runners - it doesnt take much to make a difference but the impact of getting it wrong may have ruined some runners' day.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Iain L, General Manager at The Brighton Hotel, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
Thank you for your comments and the information on breakfast for runners. The breakfast has been the same menu as last year and no one brought to our attention the lack of bananas or porridge. I have flagged this to the kitchen to ensure we do not repeat this issue next year. The hotel has very few rooms with bath. We do try to accommodate all guests requests however this is not always possible.