“Not Impressed!”

Description: Französisch angehauchtes kleines Cafe/Restaurant
Exeter, Devon
“Not Impressed!”
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

On looking at the cafe it is busy and has good atmosphere when you walk through the door. We were politely greeted and seated! It was lovely and warm an comfortable (it was freezing outside!!) Unfortuntely that was as good as it got... My other half had an 'Irish coffee', now if a small glass tumbler with what taste like half whiskey and half coffe with a bit of squirts cream ontop is what you call a coffee then we won't agree! It was vile! The chocolate brownie was nice I have to say, crunchy outside an chewy inside, but overpriced in my opinion.
My peppermint tea arrived in a large mug (very good) however my string and tab for pulling the teabag out was submersed.. I ten notice coffee 'tide marks' around the top of the inside of the mug, I thought it was stained so I rubbed at it with my stirrer stick... Nope it came off with a rub! Yuk! I then closer inspected my mug an found more coffee dried drips on the handle and all over the mug. I called a waiter and informed him he took it away and bought me a new mug. Unfortuntely the first thing I did was check this and found it, not quite as filthy as the first but still not clean!!! How hard is it to wash a mug?!!! The waiter did come back and ask me 'is that ok now! in a patronising tone, i just couldnt bring myself to say no, shut up and drank it ( it was at least clean inside the mug this time)
The menu appears very 'up market' well if they can't wash a mug properly I couldn't bring myself to eat a meal there, sorry! Would not go back I'm afraid!!

London, United Kingdom
“Just my kind of cafe. Recommended.”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I love this style of cafe: lots of wood, small tables and some comfy sofas as well (upstairs). My coffee was good and the cakes looked great. I can't comment on the food. The staff were pretty good although one of them wasn't great at understanding what I was asking for.

Visited January 2013
Confolens, France
“Average breakfast indeed”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

So many places in the North Laines to have breakfast so decided on this one, but it was very average indeed.

The bacon sandwich was disappointing, no extra frills VERY very thin white bread which tasted stale and not even buttered, and only two sausages for nearly £5. I could have done better at home, but that's why we eat out for the convenience and to get better than home cooking! And a sausage or bacon butty not with very fresh bread is a crime.

The Full English was also average with the egg over cooked, and he bacon was only warm and tasted bland and as if it had been cooked a little while ago, and again that very strange thin bread (economy measure, more slices to the loaf?)

Never once were we asked how was our food?

And I let the chef pass on the stairs whilst he was on his way to the loo, to which he totally ignored me and without a thank you. Most rude.

Will not go back, better elsewhere

• Visited January 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Upped its game”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

First visited cafe delice several years ago when I moved to Brighton and thought it was fine. In the last year or so they've expanded their opening times and their menu and wow!

The lunches are great and in the evening it's a lovely intimate space. Beautiful burger (tastefully done and not a chunky behemoth) and the calamari has a very delicate batter.

Good coffee and friendly (if exceptionally busy) staff. Great spot for people watching too. Will be back.

Visited December 2012
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
“Good quick food in North Laines”
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

Been here a few times and the service is good and food very good. Had a ham hock salad which was very good. They got my wife's order wrong but were really apologetic.