“Yum!”

Blackbird Tea Rooms
Ranked #6 of 76 Coffee & Tea in Brighton
Cuisines: British, Cafe
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Recently awarded the accolade of "Best Tea & Cakes in Brighton" (Brighton Source Magazine), Blackbird Tea Rooms with its quintessentially English traditional style, has become the favourite retreat of lovers of good old fashioned quality and service. In addition to our traditional tea and cakes we also have a wide selection great breakfast and lunch dishes (see website for menu). We are very busy all day both Saturday & Sunday and therefore are unable to take reservations for the weekends (sorry).
Goa, India
“Yum!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

Tried just before Christmas! Downstairs was full so I sat in the window upstairs, great watching the world bustle by eating a delicious sandwich drinking Christmas tea. Welcome break when I was feeling rather frazzled!

Berlin, Germany
“A cosy atmosphere of the past with a modern touch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2013

During our holiday to London we took a day trip to Brighton and as we had enjoyed the Blackbird Tea Rooms last summer,we went straight there for a late breakfast.
We shared a muffin with scrambled eggs and bacon, also a muffin with melted cheese,ham and tomato chutney.Both were very delicious and good in size (the woman next to me could not even finish it). We had a long day in front of us,were very hungry and curious,so we ordered 2 cheese scones,one with cream cheese and the second one with ham, cheese and onion marmelade.I highly recommend the scone with the onion marmelade,what a clever combination of flavours!
The aroma of the coffee, served in a cafetière, promised a good cup of coffee.We were not disappointed.
The walls are filled with historic photographs and the shelves from an old chemist are decorated with beautiful tins from long ago.We love antiques and the Blackbird Tea Room offers a cosy atmosphere of the past with a modern approach.The mismatched porcelain symbolises an escape from everyday rules and shows the relaxed atmosphere of this café.
And what a pleasure to use silver plated cutlery instead of modern stainless steel ! So,we took our time with our brunch on a miserable,cold snowy day and enjoyed scrumptious food, pleasant service, in wonderful surroundings.
We will be back.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Berlinbunny
York
“A quiet haven with tea!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

I went to the Blackbird Tearooms after a horrible morning of clearing out my late father's home. I needed tea and sympathy but having nobody I knew to turn to, I settled for tea and a little cake.

Round and round Brighton I wandered, looking for a place that was quiet but not deserted, where real tea in a proper pot and with a decent cup to pour it in, would be available. Time after time I looked in windows and was met by the sight of cheap Formica and generic metal teapots or, worse yet, disposable cups with a pale brew of hot milk and water and a sad teabag floating in it. The alternatives I found were all serving full meals or playing piped music and serving coffee for silly money that would line the pockets of the shareholders of enormous companies.

Then I asked a lady where I could get real tea, real service, a quiet but friendly atmosphere and, with luck, a cheering piece of cake. She gave me directions to the Blackbird Tearooms and I found a little haven I could happily have spent a whole day in.

As I entered, a sweet young woman smiled and said hello, then asked a waitress to show me to a table. Service! Good manners! and REAL TEA! The waitress was attentive and the service was quick, without giving a feeling of being 'fast food.' The tea and the beautiful sponge cake I chose were of the highest quality. The china was lovely and there were proper table cloths that had been ironed - something many cafes forget. The decor was true to period, unlike some of the fake 40s decor I see in my home town, and spoke of family - I think many of the photos might be from family albums as they don't look posed.

The crowning glory for me was the little courtyard with flowerbeds and at the far end, a loo that my granny would have been proud to call her own. How do they keep it so spick and span with so many customers using it? I truly felt that I had taken a step back in time, before Formica and cheap plastic loo seats had been invented.

I went back the next day, before catching my train home. The scone and jam I ordered was just as tasty as the sponge cake had been.

Thank you Blackbird staff and owners for seeing me through one of the saddest couple of days of my life without having a break down - you were a fantastic support to me. Though I'm sure you couldn't have known my situation, coming to your Tearoom was like visiting favourite relatives. You really seemed to care. Add high quality tea and food to that and I just wouldn't think it possible to find a better tearoom than The Blackbird.

• Visited December 2012
Bassoues, France
“What a lovely place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

The Blackbird tea rooms is to be found in the Lanes in Brighton, just down from Churchill Square. It is a wonderfully quaint place with proper linen on small tables, it has friendly helpful staff and cakes that are to die for. However, my friend and I had lunch there this week from their ample light lunch menu, it was delicious and the place was packed, on a Tuesday, which says it all. I had a cheese and onion marmalade scone, that came with some salad, which was more than enough for me and my friend had goats cheese and onion marmalade sandwiches - we both had different types of tea and the bill came to just over £8, and that was with the purchase of a packet of their wonderful Earl Grey tea as well. I have never drunk such a lovely cup of Earl Grey tea. The china is all different and the ambience is perfect. All in all a real throw back to the tea rooms of yester year - a must visit for any foreigner who wants to sample a small piece of what used to be very English, afternoon tea.

• Visited January 2013
“Style over substance”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

I love tea and cake And had to visit as this place is the latest to jump on the vintage bandwagon. However I was disappointed.
The tea is served on nice china which unfortunately was dirty. Not just stained, it actually came off when I rubbed with my finger. The tea is really overpriced too, and my Victoria sponge was dry- it wasn't fresh at all. The service was also quite slow as the place was not busy and the staff stood around chatting. disappointing. If you like this vibe I would recommend Metrodeco which is better value for money, wider range of teas and a little more genuine and less 'fancy dress'.

2 Thank Hummingbird83