“An elegant place to stay, with great breakfasts”
Review of The Neo

The Neo
Ranked #33 of 94 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 13, 2011

We got away from the kids for a couple of days and stayed at The Neo for the weekend. It was a laid back, helpful and very friendly kind of place with eclectic decor - a stag's head, snakeskin covered antique chairs and designer wallpaper. We were given a comfortable ensuite room with a king sized bed so soft that was like sleeping on a cloud. Some parts of the hotel could do with a lick of paint but that kind of fitted in with Brighton's overall raffish charm. The very best things about the place were the exceedingly generous breakfasts, which were freshly cooked from scratch and came as a 'starter' followed by a 'main' - something I've never experienced before. Over the two days we tried creamy porridge, delicious fruit plates with honey, creamy yogurt and hazelnuts, plus a classic full English breakfast, kippers and gorgeous, freshly made blueberry pancakes with bacon and maple syrup. With tea and coffee and abundant refills of fruit juice, we found that lunch just wasn't necessary. The Neo is in a good location a block away from the seafront near the West Pier and is definitely a Brighton sort of place - those with a hangover can opt for a 'hair of the dog' Bloody Mary with their breakfast or a Bucks Fizz, and there's also a treatment room and cocktail bar on site for real hedonists.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 24, 2011

I chose The Neo because of its great location: near the to the sea front, near to the shops on Western Road and a walkable distance to the station.

On arrival, I was welcomed and my bags carried to my room. To my delight, I was given an upgrade (something they often like to do if they have rooms available) free of charge. My room was tastefully furnished, had a good sized and up to date flatscreen television and came with a hospitality tray. The en-suite had toiletries specially made for them which smelt gorgeous.

The bed was so comfy and I slept brilliantly!

The next day I came down to a carefully laid table with various newspapers awaiting me with breakfast. The choices were good even for a vegetarian which I am. I had the wake-up cup of granola with fruit puree and then had the blueberry pancakes with creme-fraiche. The breakfast tasted fantastic and came with plenty of tea and juice.

All in all I had a very enjoyable stay and found the staff to be very friendly - the hotel was lovely and clean and the breakfast was so tasty. I am looking forward to my return!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed February 22, 2011

This was our third time to the Neo. The hotel is charming and each time we have been impressed by the friendliness and efficiency of the staff.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 11, 2011

Having stayed at the Neo four times in the last two years, I consider myself a loyal returnee. But no longer. It has simply become too tired and is no longer what it was. The finish of the decor is now too marked and scuffed to ignore. Likewise the substitution of lovely L'Occitane minis with generic liquid soap-body wash-shampoo in a pump dispenser. The treats tray has diminished to little more than an overpriced bottle of water, crisps, peanuts. Service is patchy: left waiting on street for five minutes before gaining entry, haphazard (once excellent) breakfast. Items in room and window frames thick with dust. Last guests' used towels still on back of bathroom door; bathroom floor sticky; lid snapped off bathroom bin. Need I go on? Chief difficulty is that this hotel is not manned overnight; thus there was no one to seek assistance from when a plumbing problem occurred in the bedroom above at around 1am. Given the loud and constant noise that ensued, it was impossible to sleep. We were offered £15 off our night's tariff on account of the inconvenience, though this scarcely made a dent in the £150 room price ... still carefully charged for our packet of crisps, nonetheless. Sadly disappointing.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Munchienoodle
Reviewed December 19, 2010

We have stayed at the Neo twice, both times for a romantic weekend as a couple, and have really enjoyed our stays. We stayed in room 5 which is beautifully decorated, with lovely unique pieces of furniture and gorgeous wallpaper, a really comfortable bed and huge bathroom. The double ended bath is huge and luxurious, and the main reason we booked this room! Our room and the whole hotel was very clean, there are areas in the hallways etc where the decor is not totally immaculate, but there are plenty of interesting touches, art on the walls and chairs and tables dotted around, so it feels more like someone's really glamorous home than a hotel, which some people might not like but for us is part of what makes it so lovely. The breakfast, as other people have said, really is excellent, with a lovely choice of an 'appetiser' course (fruit, muesli etc) and then a 'main' cooked course, which included both veggie and meaty options. We found all the staff friendly and helpful in a low key kind of way which suited us and the free DVD library is a hidden bonus as well. It is at the pricier end of the spectrum but Brighton is an expensive town - I have also stayed at some of the chain hotels for a similar price and it's just a totally different experience, the Neo is small, personal, original and refined, and if you want something memorable and special I would defiinitely recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 19, 2010

We stayed here to celebrate our wedding anniversary. The staff, cleanliness, service, decor and furnishings were all perfect. We booked to have a facial which was without doubt the most relaxing one I have ever experienced. Well worth treating yourself to this extravagance. My only criticism is the location. Not the hotels fault but there was an all night party that went on until 7am on the Saturday night. We stayed in Room 4 which housed the widest bed I've ever seen. If you want a romantic weekend we would highly recommend the visit.

• Stayed: September 2010
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Staff are really nice but I think the hotel is way way over priced. We stayed in the George Hotel in Edinburgh last year for the same price and it was 10 times better. Charged you extra for bottles of water in your room. Having said that I thought the decor was lovely.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple