“Devine double in secluded annex”

Hudsons Guest House
Ranked #55 of 94 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 29, 2007

Hubby and I stayed for 2 nights in the lovely annex of Hudsons - large ground floor double room, brand new, fresh paint, tasteful furniture, comfy bed, with a huge private shower room and a terrace garden to the rear - all for £80.00 per night with fab breakfast! Short walk to the beach and all that Brighton has to offer. Stephen and the friendly efficient staff we met made us feel so welcome we would definitely stop again - cannot fault it!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sometimes_travelling
There are newer reviews for Hudsons Guest House

Reviewed April 29, 2007

just returned from 4 days in brighton staying at the Hudson with my husband who was attending a conference. What a pleasant refreshing change from large impersonal hotels where we normally would stay.Room clean and well stocked with snacks and mini bar,plenty of tea and coffee ,large mugs in room instead of small cups which most hotels seem to provide. Location quiet at night. .Area a bit run down but lots of regeneration in progress. Breakfasts were superb! Would definitly stay again if had to return to Brighton.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank dgjnkmb
Reviewed April 23, 2007

I would have given an excellent rating but due to my visit being only one night, and having to leave too early for breakfast, I probably did not see enough for that. But I can say that the check in service was lovely, very polite and friendly but not obtrusive in any way. The bed was of the highest quality and made for an excellent nights sleep. The room was spacious and had amenities that I would normally associate with a 4* Hotel, including complimentary DVDs to watch from the owners own collection! I regularly stay at Hilton Hotels while on business and can honestly say that none of them have measured up to this.

Stayed: March 2007
Reviewed March 23, 2007

If you are staying in Brighton for one or two nights and require a clean comfortable room, friendly hosts and good functional food, look no further.

You are given your own keys for the front door and room on arrival, and presented with a mint-chocolate on the pillow when you get to your tastefully decorated room. Finding car-parking directly outside the hotel is a bit of a problem but car parks are a short walk away; scratch-card parking vouchers are available from the hotel if you do find a space somewhere.

The room temperature may be a touch warm for some but an open window soon solves that, and the walls are pretty sound-proof. The en-suites are small but practical, a TV and DVD player are provided in every room if you don't feel that sleepy (with a selection of films available to borrow from the dining area downstairs), and a small kettle for tea and coffee, plus mini-bar and snacks have been thought of.

In the morning, a good selection of breakfasts are on offer as well as the usual fresh fruit juices, coffee, etc. and the cook is fairly flexible if you want anything slightly different. - vegetarian / vegan, etc. not a problem.

In terms of location, the guest house is fairly central, with the County and Magistrates Courts and Brighton Pier a 5 minute walk from the hotel door, whilst the main shopping area of Brighton and 'The Lanes' are a 10-15 minute walk.

Overall I'd say Hudsons more than lives up to it's four-star Tourist Board rating, and I'd stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank wrass
Reviewed November 22, 2006

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Hudson for our anniversary and my birthday weekend. It was actually the only decent looking (and sounding from these reviews) hotel that was available so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

I booked through hotel.com and it was a good job I rang up beforehand to check about parking, as the website had given me a US address (I'm UK) and the hotel couldn't process my payment and were about to cancel my reservation!! So it's worth phoning up anyway!

Parking is difficult in Brighton, regardless. We pulled up outside and one of the friendly owners (Steve) sold us a "scratchcard" parking ticket. It was £6 for Sat, free on Sun and £6 Mon. (parking starts at 9am so make sure you buy them in advance!).

The hotel looks quite modest outside. It has a red canopy over the front door which is easy to spot from the road.

The reason I chose this hotel was that the decor looked really stylish and "boutique" on the website, and I was not disappointed!

We had room 8 on the top floor, which had a power shower and a sink (in separate cupboards), a cd player, hairdryer, kettle, minibar, tv and dvd player (there was a libary of dvds in the breakfast room). The decor was really nice with crisp cotton sheets and wicker/dark wood theme, with ethnic style curios framed on the walls. It was quite compact, and I felt it was a bit pricey (even though I got the a cheap deal!). The shower wasn't great, as it was very small and would be a stuggle if you were really tall. (there is a large shower on the ground floor though) The room was ok for two nights but not big enough if you were staying longer.

We were on the third and top floor, and the toilet on the ground floor, which we found a bit far! It would be great if they had one half way. I mean we're young and were finding the stairs hard going! So would recommend a ground floor room or en-suite!

Breakfast is served in the conservatory, which is really light and airey. I was really pleased as they had a choice of breakfasts; Full english, Veggie full english, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, kippers, and pancakes. Plus the usual toast, yoghurts, juice, fruit and cereals. Really good and the service was great too!

Overall I would recommend this hotel, particularly to young couples. The people who run it and work in it are all very friendly, and we had a pleasant stay. It's refreshing to find such a welcoming and stylish B+B!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Punkypickle
Reviewed August 26, 2006

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank LupinPooter