“A bit expensive for what you get....”

Hudsons Guest House
Ranked #54 of 93 Brighton B&B and Inns
London
“A bit expensive for what you get....”
Reviewed November 22, 2006

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Hudson for our anniversary and my birthday weekend. It was actually the only decent looking (and sounding from these reviews) hotel that was available so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

I booked through hotel.com and it was a good job I rang up beforehand to check about parking, as the website had given me a US address (I'm UK) and the hotel couldn't process my payment and were about to cancel my reservation!! So it's worth phoning up anyway!

Parking is difficult in Brighton, regardless. We pulled up outside and one of the friendly owners (Steve) sold us a "scratchcard" parking ticket. It was £6 for Sat, free on Sun and £6 Mon. (parking starts at 9am so make sure you buy them in advance!).

The hotel looks quite modest outside. It has a red canopy over the front door which is easy to spot from the road.

The reason I chose this hotel was that the decor looked really stylish and "boutique" on the website, and I was not disappointed!

We had room 8 on the top floor, which had a power shower and a sink (in separate cupboards), a cd player, hairdryer, kettle, minibar, tv and dvd player (there was a libary of dvds in the breakfast room). The decor was really nice with crisp cotton sheets and wicker/dark wood theme, with ethnic style curios framed on the walls. It was quite compact, and I felt it was a bit pricey (even though I got the a cheap deal!). The shower wasn't great, as it was very small and would be a stuggle if you were really tall. (there is a large shower on the ground floor though) The room was ok for two nights but not big enough if you were staying longer.

We were on the third and top floor, and the toilet on the ground floor, which we found a bit far! It would be great if they had one half way. I mean we're young and were finding the stairs hard going! So would recommend a ground floor room or en-suite!

Breakfast is served in the conservatory, which is really light and airey. I was really pleased as they had a choice of breakfasts; Full english, Veggie full english, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, kippers, and pancakes. Plus the usual toast, yoghurts, juice, fruit and cereals. Really good and the service was great too!

Overall I would recommend this hotel, particularly to young couples. The people who run it and work in it are all very friendly, and we had a pleasant stay. It's refreshing to find such a welcoming and stylish B+B!

• Liked — The friendly staff and the decor
  • Disliked — The stairs
  • Tips/Secrets — check hotel.com for cheap rate
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
6 Thank Punkypickle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)