“Never had such a rude welcome!”

Hudsons Guest House
Ranked #53 of 94 Brighton B&B and Inns
London
“Never had such a rude welcome!”
Reviewed December 1, 2008

Incredible. Having travelled around this fabulous planet for many years I thought I seen it all and met them all, until I dared to spend a weekend away on my doorstep in Brighton. The chap was so rude that I couldn't quite get my breath, ticking me off for being 12 minutes late for my 5pm check in time but finally agreeing to 'let me stay'. Well thanks very much, most kind, I am actually paying you a fair wedge of my crunch coin for the pleasure, or perhaps this has been forgotten in your self absorbed little world. As for advising me to park wherever I wish, when actually I would have got a ticket if I hadn't moved, and then charging me a fiver extra for paying with a credit card, well that just about sums it up. Perhaps I was just unlucky, but if any foreign people come here and were treated in such a way, it would make me extremely embarassed of my home nation and kin folk.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Being treated like dirt
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Beardy4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
North Yorkshire
Reviewed November 19, 2008

We spent three nights at Hudsons in October. The position is good, very handy for the sea, walking distance to the main sights, the Lanes etc. A lack of attention to detail lets the hotel down though. The back door on the 'sun room', an extension to the breakfast room, doesn't shut properly making dining in there a distinctly chilly experience on a cold morning. The same could be said of the owner's curt 'You do know breakfast is from 8:30?' when we came down at 8:25 on our last day. My explanation (if one was really needed) 'We've just heard the trains are subject to delays and we don't want to miss our connection.' Was met with a shrug, and no attempt to take our order. Otherwise friendly enough, clean and the breakfasts were nicely cooked.

• Liked — location, good sized bedroom, nice cooked breakfast
  • Disliked — cramped shower room, creaky bed
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank SophiaNorthYorkshire
Warwickshire England
Reviewed September 25, 2008

My husband & I booked Hudsons as we needed to be with our son who was having surgery in Brighton hospital. We chose the garden room (no.2) as we were bringing our son back to the hotel on his discharge before we travelled home. Stephen from Hudsons was most obliging; we were provided with a third bed in the room for the duration of our stay. The room was very clean and comfortable with everything we needed. Breakfast was beautifully cooked and presented (the breakfast room was tiny but you could sit in a small conservatory area or on the patio) and we had a rear access down to our room which was great. We took advantage of the pretty garden (inbetween visiting hours!) and enjoyed a picnic out there. Parking vouchers were provided by the staff who all went out of their way to look after us. The owners are not on site all the time but could be contacted easily if necessary. We just treated the place like home! Magazines were in the breakfast room so you could help yourself & dvd's & cd's were left out to borrow. What a lovely touch.

• Liked — Access to the garden/clean & comfortable room
  • Disliked — Tiny breakfast room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Loobilou
Germany
Reviewed July 9, 2008

We stayed here for 5 nights.
Unfortunatly we he had the room directly under the roof, which was very low-ceilinged so I hardly managed to stand upright.
When you book your room you can decided, which one you want, so everybody can avoid that.
The staff ist extremly friendly and helpfull, which makes that hotel perfect for us.
Location is great!

• Stayed July 2006
1 Thank Luis7804
London, UK
Reviewed April 22, 2008

Hudsons was one of the few places we could get a one night stay on a weekend at short notice at an affordable place in Brighton. Location was good, in Kemp Town, very near to the seafront and near lots of restaurants and bars within 10 mins of the pier. Staff were friendly, room was comfortable and had character although I wouldnt recommend for those who want boutique style or luxury. We were also in the room nearest the front door, actually right beside the front door so we could hear everyone coming in and leaving - I am not an early riser so didnt really appreciate this. Breakfast was comprehensive, although not greatest.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noisy in the morning!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SissyGreen
Rainham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2008

Great place to stay - ended up cheaper than expected at only £60 for one night in a double bedroom with ensuite and breakfast. The two guys running the place were chatty and very helpful (provided maps etc and pointed out best places to eat/go/visit). I would definitely use Hudsons again.

On arrival, we were told that our room was being worked on, so we got bumped up to a double room with a four poster bed. There was an air conditioning machine (although we didn't need that in Jan!), TV, DVD player, CD player, tea and coffee facilities, and of course mini chocolates on the pillows! I had a few queries about our stay prior to our visit, and they were able to help fully on them. There isn't a curfew as on arrival you are given a key to your room as well as one to the front door.

Location-wise, it is literally less than 10 mins walk to the town centre (and to the Brighton Dome) with a great restaurant right at the bottom of the road - some 2 minutes walk away.

Great place to stay, would definitely recommend it.

• Liked — Room - was clean and quite spacious
  • Disliked — Ensuite - was quite small, but good enough for 1 or 2 nights
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Surrey
Reviewed November 12, 2007

Me and the wife decided to have a night out in Brighton and I left it with her to book the place to stay.
Normally im a 4*+ hotel man so was very worried about a B&B but as a loyal husband I had to giver her the benefit of the doubt!!!!

We had booked a normal room in the main part of the building but due to an error we were upgraded FOC to the suite which was located on the ground floor.
I have to admit the suite was lovely with a big, comfy bed and a small seating area with digital freeview tv, dvd player etc etc. The bathroom had a nice big shower and was light and clean.
The wife also appreciated the nice decor which of course id didnt even notice!!
The one negative point (of you can call it that) is that being under the breakfast area it was a bit noisy in the morning so dont expect a lie in.
The breakfast was superb with a good choice and the full english was lovely.
All in all I would highly recommend this guesthouse to stay in as it has a great location, is extremely clean, well decorated and superb value for money.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank JKsurrey