“Very friendly service, clean and very comfortable.”

Hudsons Guest House
Ranked #56 of 94 Brighton B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

This is the second time we have stayed here - really nice hotel with good service. The rooms are attractive, comfortable beds making a very nice place to stay. Breakfast choice very good - well cooked and tasty

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank GDWillson
There are newer reviews for Hudsons Guest House

Reviewed October 28, 2012

Second time we have stayed here and once again the service was excellent.All the staff were very pleasant and went the extra mile to help when we realised we would not make check in time (several hours late due to traffic).
The location is ideal for discovering Brighton and the parking permits (payable on premises) are a bonus.We had a room on the top floor room which was nice and quiet.It was comfortable and clean with tea making facilities (nice size mugs not tiny tea cups) .
Lots of choice for breakfast , I can recommend the "full english" or scambled eggs with salmon.

I would have no hesitation in booking with them again.Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Coastview4
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This was our 5th stay at Hudsons and certainly won't be the last. I am really surprised at the negative comments of some people as i have never experienced anything like that. My partner and I absolutely love it at Hudsons. Stephen and his staff are always friendly and welcoming and the breakfast is great. Really sets you up for the day. We usually stay in the basement suit which is a fantastic large room with access to a private patio. It has a separate sitting area and a great quirky bathroom with a large double shower. However it was already booked so we stayed in room 7 at the top of the house. The room was great, a good size and as always it was clean with fresh bedding and towels. The en suit was a little compact but really all you need is to be able to shower and use the loo! I cannot recommend Hudsons enough, it is incredibly great value, very friendly staff and in a great location, close to the main shopping area and the sea front. I love it

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Verna111
Reviewed September 2, 2012

My wife and I booked this B&B for 31st August as my friends wife decided to celebrate her birthday in Brighton with a meal at her favourite restaurant.
We were greeted and checked in by a female member of staff who was very pleasant and gave us our key with info on breakfast times etc. We were put right up on the fourth floor but it was busy in Brighton that weekend so knew they were quite booked.The room was small but sufficient for a short stay.
The following morning I had breakfast at 9.30am which was nicely done and they had a reasonable selection of breakfast on the menu.
We returned to the room to pack our things ready to leave at 11am when i noticed my credit was missing. While I searched everywhere in the room for the card, there was a knock at the door at 11.04am. My wife answered the door and I heard the owner say to my wife ' can you leave the room' in a not very polite manner which got my back up straight away.
I found the card behind the chair, we opened the door to leave and the owner was standing on the stairwell just staring at me, I said 'sorry about that' to which he responded by saying nothing and continuing to stare at me whilst he walked back down the stairs.
I just wanted to leap over the banister and drag him down those stairs and ask him who the hell he thinks he is. However, I just bit my tongue and kept my cool. When we reached the reception area I quietly prayed that he says nothing to me out of place as there would have been a confrontation.
However, the owner said nothing but just passed me our booking reciept, we paid the bill and he walked away. He did not say thank you, goodbye, thanks for your custom... nothing.
I sarcastically said goodbye as we walked out the door and some heard some noise which may have been a response but we felt our custom was more an inconvenience.
I run my own business but would never dream of conducting my business with such lack of customer service or people skills, to my customers whom are my bread and butter.

So, would I part with my hard earned cash or give my business to Hudsons B&B again? NEVER

Thankfully, I can be diplomatic and leave my personal grievance with Hudsons with just a review rather than having a full blown confrontation in the B&Bs hallway.
Had I not met or had this provocative attitude from the owner, this review may have had a very different outcome, but my guess is the owner is probably too long in the tooth for change....Shame!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank barker1977
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Call me old fashioned or better yet, call me a resident of a city that was voted #1 most hospitable Eleven Years in a row. Which means I know a few things about being hospitable and gracious. This hotel is not!! From the moment we walked in I sensed an attitude of "aloofness and I could care less" and while our stay was only two nights, that attitude did not change. What really took the cake is when I left something very important to me and called them within hours of leaving, when I was told they threw it away. No, I don't hold them responsible. However, this does reflect a lack of caring. The hotel itself wasn't that wonderful. Cluttered with all kinds of nostalgia and cheap furnishings. None of the poor decor mattered as much as courtesy. After all, isn't that what a guest house should provide? If I am a guest, I should expect guest-like treatment.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hadassah L
Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

We had the Hudson Suite and loved it, its better than it looks on their own website. Street Parking can be difficult and I guess the steep narrow stairs down to the suite not easy for everyone but fine for most people. Good choice for breakfast. We recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank goodboyrudi
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I went here with my Mum May/June time for a couple of days. I'm 14!

The owner was very lovely and explained everything to us once we got there. We had the first room downstairs as you walked in. The room was a decent size and the bathroom was a little on the small side, but still adequate. They were both really modern and well decorated, very homely. There was a continental breakfast included only, as there was only one lady available looking after the guesthouse. This was as the other owner(s) were going away. The breakfast was very nice and she made us toast, pancakes, etc if we wanted them. The breakfast room was very nice, quiet and well decorated. There were only a couple of people there so it was a nice atmosphere. You could explore the garden outside, but it was quite cold and we were out most of the time so we didn't do so. The wi-fi worked perfectly and was free. There is also a TV in the room. For other meals (dinner, lunch) we went out and also ordered food into the room which was great for us. It's a nice location, a five/ten minute walk down to the beach and pier. The town and shops were also close by. Very comfortable overall and a good value for money according to my Mum. Hope this helps!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple