“Did not live up to the reviews or description” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Baggies Backpackers Brighton

Baggies Backpackers Brighton
Revelstoke
“Did not live up to the reviews or description”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

First impressions were not at all bad when we arrived at Baggies, the people were welcoming and friendly. Check in was quick and casual which I liked. Then we were shown to our room - a '6 bed dorm' that is really a room separated by a curtain from a larger 10 bed dorm. The space was ridiculously small, and granted accommodation in the UK is not usually spacious but there was hardly room for luggage and I constantly felt like we had to step over people to get in and out of bed and the room. Just when I thought that was still par on most hostels I'd stayed in, we discovered the bathroom which was really disappointing. There are 3 showers shared between the whole building, there is practically no-where to get any privacy and then the toilet doesn't even have a sink to wash up - you have to walk up or down the stairs to simply wash your hands! All in all this was one of the most unpleasant hostel experiences I've ever had. Pity as the town is amazing!

Room Tip: Go for the private rooms if you would like any privacy or space!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Julie S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Tallahassee, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

This review is looooong overdue, but it is absolutely necessary that I pay my dues to Ron and Alex . They are incredible people who run a hostel out of the love for meeting and helping people along their journeys. I was beginning a backpacking trip around as much of Europe as possible, within my temporal and financial constraints, when I went to Brighton. It still remains one of my favorite cities in Europe. Baggies was the first European hostel in which I've ever stayed. Even after two months between ten countries, Baggies is still my favorite. I was in Brighton during The Great Escape festival in the summer, and every hostel that I talked to was full. Without Ron and Alex going out of their way to make sure that I had a place to stay I would have been sleeping in my sleeping bag on the sidewalk. But, it's not only the people who run the hostel that are great, the hostel itself is perfect. Baggies is basically on the beach and within walking distance to anywhere in Brighton. Only about 15 minutes from the train station if my memory serves me. The downstairs room, kitchen, and comfy beds don't hurt either. Hanging out downstairs is where I met some of my first friends along my trip that I still talk to today. Like most good hostels, socializing just happens naturally at Baggies Ron and Alex, thank you both so much for your hospitality, I hope to see you again someday.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Super friendly and relaxed; staying at Baggies was great. Good value, clean rooms, shared spaces to have chats and chill out in (met some fab people, really inclusive without being too much), good facilities and an amazing location - sea is at the bottom of the road and it's a quick stomp from the station. Has the kind of comfortable atmosphere you want from a hostel, completely safe, felt well looked after and run by genuine people who went out of their way to be welcoming and made a lone traveller feel very much not alone, which was lovely. Awesome place. You have to get your picture taken in front of the wall of VHS tapes... much comedy...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

Baggies is the must stay hostel for most travellers to Brighton, it's location is brilliant (right by the beach) and it is a well-fitted out, clean hostel. It is good value, we paid 20 pounds per person, per night for a private double. There are lots of really nice communal spaces to hang out in, and a better equipped kitchen than I have seen in most hostels.
However, it was the amazing community spirit of this place that makes it a must go. Ron and Alex are two of the most friendly hostel owners I have met and will make you feel welcome from the moment you walk through the door. The other residents (some long-stayers, some not) are incredibly friendly and will quite quickly include you in conversation and offer to show you the sights of brighton (quite often including a few beers on the beach). If you are looking for the real experience of a hostel stay, this is the place to go.
My only regret about Baggies is that we weren't able to stay longer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Private room for 2 people £20 a head was good value. Hostel is well equipped with several social areas.
Was somewhere to lock our bikes away and free tea and coffee.
Staff was very friendly and helpful. Great location, 2 minutes walk to beach, 10 minutes to centre. But on the whole the place just seems a bit tired and grubby (some would say part of its charm maybe) and not particularly clean.
Good value, well equipped and sociable hostel.

• Stayed June 2013
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

The staff and guests at Baggies are so friendly, they really make you feel at home. Most people have been here for several days/weeks, some even months, so there is a real community feel about it. We had some lovely nights just sitting with everyone and laughing in the common room/kitchen, or going on midnight "wanders" with our fellow guests and baggies staff. Definitely recommend this hostel to anyone who is looking to make some unforgettable friends and have some great times.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Nice, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

Bags bags bags. Everything is bagged. The service is excellent. The rooms are great. I ordered steak and it came in a bag. My sons pasta came in a bag. My wife's grilled chicken came in a bag. It was great bags bags bags. My daughter is four she wanted unicorn her imagination. And they gave her unicorn in a bag!!!! Very exotic. Otherwise now I'm bag obsessed what else can I say about baggies.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without bagged couches.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family