“Nice and modern, but could do with some finishing touches!”
Review of Malmaison Brighton

Malmaison Brighton
Ranked #14 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stayed at the Seattle Hotel for one night on business. The hotel has lovely decor - modern but with a quality feel. Nice carpets, art in the corridors, wide and spacious. On entering the hotel, I was really excited by it and was expecting the room to be really special. It was nice, great big bed, nice simple white sheets - but it was lacking in nice touches to make it special. No water in the room, no mini bar, no climate control...which meant the room was really hot. To cool it down to sleep, i had to open the window...which was noisy. In order to let air in, I also had to prop the curtain open, which let in the 'blue' neon glow that the whole marina is bathed in....rock and a hard place..so I sweltered. It was a nice room overall, nice furniture..but all a bit stark and without the nice touches, jus left me flat.

Breakfast was nice, in a waterfront terrace restaurant...but it was slow. When you are a business guest, you wan breakfast quick. It took 15mins for my tea to arrive and 25 mins for my moked salmon and scrambled eggs...i thought 30 mins would be ample time for breakfast. The only thing to stop me staying here again...would be the room temperature, other than that...simple, good, but nothing to write home about.

Room Tip: Get a water view room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank missie22
There are newer reviews for Malmaison Brighton

Reviewed March 11, 2013

I stayed in Hotel Seattle with my partner for just one night and it was lovely. The room was very modern and had a good tv with freeview and an impressive iPod/iphone docking system which we were not expecting. The kettle did not reach the plug socket though... by far. Wasn't a major issue, just abit strange. We stayed in a room with the sea view which was beautiful. The surroundings of the hotel were good, there is bingo, cinema, many different restaurants, supermarket, fitness facilities etc. It's not that close to the train station but the number 7 bus runs straight into the centre often £4.60 for two adults. We didn't eat in the hotel in the evening but we did have breakfast. It was very nice, the staff were extremely friendly and the food was good. Overall the hotel was very beautiful the view was amazing and the area is perfect if you want a fairly chilled quiet stay not smack bang in the centre but close enough.

1  Thank katie r
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Me and my partner fancied a trip away to brighton, took us a little while to find the hotel entrance as its a little tucked in. When we got to reception we didnt get greeted as well as expected (kind of felt we shouldn't have been there), but apart from this incident the rest of the stay was lovely, clean bedroom (the outside window could do with a clean) the room was very nice exactly what we payed for, the view was incredible especially at night time. the kettle plug didnt quiet reach but after a good laugh it didnt bother us. staff at breakfast were very good and friendly. the location was excellent a little further away from the train station then expected but thats our planning at fault. the hotel itself though was surrounded by a very good and varied selection of restuarants and shops with a supermarket close by. we would love to stay again.

Room Tip: inland view didnt look very appealing when we did catch a glimpse through an open room and when you...
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We frequently stay here when visiting our son who lives in Brighton. Obviously as we have returned many times, we essentially are happy, but this last visit left quite a lot to be desired. Firstly the whole place has a tired look about it. The main carpet is grubby and the bathrooms now need a make over. Most distressing was the filthy duvet popping out of the duvet cover at the feet end. I only noticed it as we were leaving and would have photographed it given more time. It looked like menstrual stains, and it really put me off! We were given twin rooms because there were obviously no doubles available. My mattress sank so badly in the middle, I had a desperate two nights sleep and it really has to be replaced.

The evening meal was an unpleasant experience. This was part of the package, although we included our son for the meal with us as an extra, Two of the first choices of mine were off the menu. I finally opted for a fish cake followed by fish pie. Both were essentially the same and mostly potato rather than fish, and they tasted the same. We were served the wine, but the waitress then said we were lucky to have the last bottle! Even the ice cream was served different from our chosen choice! Surely a restaurant of this prominence should cater for their expected guests. This was Friday night! In the past the restaurant used to be in the basement and was a pleasant experience offering a wide choice of imaginative meals cooked and served well. We were told the hotel was now under new management! Maybe that is the problem! I don't think we will eat there again!

1  Thank marshwader
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Stayed over for business. Staff were ok bar staff bit slow but no major issue. The room was ok but cold and the white makes the cold room feel even colder. It feels in need of some personality injection! Breakfast was cold and the coffee to cold for me the staff were bit offhand and overall felt not as good as I would have expected.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Twice tried to charge us for requesting part of our prepaid breakfast to be wrapped in foil for takeaway. And hoped to get away with £6.50 each time..... Felt like they wanted to find any angle possible to squeeze extra cash out of us. Also found hotel to be very dirty...terrible stains on hallway carpets. Would not go back there! I felt sorry for a wedding party staying there, imagining what they might be trying to charge them for!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nigel312
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed in the hotel mid Feb, 2013 and found it to be a pleasant hotel. The reception is friendly as are the bar staff, though the waiters during breakfast could put a smile on and not look like they were doing community service, other than that, the rooms were comfortable, nice view of the Marina, we liked the touch of the iPod docking station.It is a sort of boutique type of hotel, but not quite, which was fine for us. Breakfast was a good English, but as I said the staff waiting on tables were a miserable (except the chap who showed us to our table, I would assume he was the manager!). We would stay again, so thumbs up.

Room Tip: May I suggest using the hotel during the summer and get a balcony room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple