“good hotel”
Review of Malmaison Brighton

Malmaison Brighton
Ranked #14 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Booked this for a weekend away with some friends. Parking was free in a multi story car park a 2 minute walk from the hotel.

Initial impressions of the hotel were good, the staff were very polite and the reception was clean tidy and well presented. We were booked into our rooms very quickly and were on our way. Halls were clean and modern with modern pictures.

We had a kind size room, the room was a great size, the only wierd thing was the whole wardrobe/storage situation. Essentially what they had done was buy a job lot of the rail systems you buy with B&Q modular bedroom furniture and put that in the room without the sides, doors etc. I can kind of understand why they did it, they are easily removable and make a room look bigger, but it was just a bit wierd looking at your clothes hung up all the time.

Bathroom was excellent, 2 sinks, bath, with a great over the head shower and plenty of hot water, it was very clean and tidy.

The bed was massive, and very comfortable, i have a dodgy back and if the bed is bad, will be in pain the next morning, but no pain here. They put a simple duvet on the bed so no stupid sheets everywhere.

TV: usual freeview channels!

Breakfast was a both continental and cooked, a good choice of food on offer and the cooked was made fresh for you with a couple of choices of sausage and eggs cooked to your choice. 5 or 6 different juice options. different pastries, cerials, breads etc.

The bar was very nice, over looking over the marina, and for a hotel the prices were reasonable, for 4 shots and mixers it came to £18. The atmosphere was very nice and again the staff were very polite and friendly.

Location : the Marina is about a mile from the pier. options to get into town consist of taxi or the number 7 bus which leaves just round the corner from the hotel, £4.50 gets you an all day pass on the bus to come and go as you please. Obviously you can walk along the front if the weather is nice, I guess it would take 20 minutes or so to walk to the pier, Weather permitting

Below the hotel are a number of restarants and bars, Italian, American, Indian, most options are there along with a nice wetherspoons bar, Just round the corner there's a casino, a pizza hut and for those with no taste buds, a McDonalds. there's also a bowling alley and cinema. Across the road there's a supermarket., a Harvester and some other shops. So there's no need to leave the marina if you don't want to at night, plenty of things to do, and places to eat.

Overall a very nice Hotel, with excellent staff and very clean. the storage thing was wierd, and having to get a bus or taxi into the town was a slight downside for location, but the free parking offset that. Parking is very expensive in Brighton!!!!!

I'd definately stay there again, and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,595)

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We only stayed for two nights, but our stay at this hotel was lovely !! Staff were very friendly and were on hand if you needed anything no matter what time of day it was.
Food was excellent and breakfast was fantastic !!
Although the nights we were here, it was very windy (more windy than usual), and our sea facing room was very noisy, but still had a good nights sleep.

Will be staying here again !!!

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Stayed in a King room overlooking the Marina, the room was lovely, view superb and the bathroom shower was incredible.
This is a lovely hotel, the only slight fault would be the queue for breakfast, but overall we had a great stay.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a King Room for the view
1  Thank sillysamosa
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We paid £99 b&b on a Sunday night. Thought it fairly good value as it is a lovely hotel. Service was great, as was the breakfast. Rooms quite minimal, and ours was quite small and could have done with more room for your clothes! Location in the marina is fine if you don't mind being out of the centre of Brighton (there are plenty of buses to the centre). Good choice of restaurants, but only the usual chain ones.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed for an overnight as a break after 700 miles of driving motorways doing various trips. Wanted a bed for the night and a decent breakfast for a decent price, with a bit of a break in Brighton whilst we were doing that. More than fitted the bill.
Agree with the minimalist reviews; but rooms are spotless, with lovely little extras like 'Body Shop 'style toiletries (soap, shampoo, bubble bath - no conditioner, but who does?) ...which you can 'nick' as souvenirs (was tempted to take them up on their provision of more if needed). Plenty of soft and fluffy towels. Showers so lovely that you could stay in for ages (I did). Perfect room temperature. The pillows are deep and soft and the staff kind of seem to tuck the pampering duvets in (somehow) at the bottom of the big beds so that they don't slip off or feel too tight on your feet, but still you can stick your legs out and have plenty of room.
If you enter from the rear of the hotel, don't worry ... the whole feel of the place is airy, bright, professional and friendly. Free parking - told by the return from town taxi that was a BIG bonus; very close to hotel and you just park in their designated spot outside the rear entrance where you have at least 15 min to check in and dump bags before parking close by. You have free parking in the nearby multistory for your stay. Other hotels I researched were £12.50 per day, or no parking at all.
Feel I should say that the Marina is joined to major Brighton but newer. If you expect 'Olde Worlde' then go for the traditional centre side older hotels. But, the Marina has everything you need from a couple of nights stay; the Witherspoon is very cheap; the Frankie and Bennies served excellent food, service, etc. Both were just under the hotel.
We saw the Marina view rooms and were tempted to upgrade there and then but decided not to as we were keen to see Brighton. Next time, we would pay the extra (but that by no means detracted from our stay). Would advise that option for smokers.
To walk to the pier and do the central Brighton does take about 15/20 min, but is a flat easy walk. Taxi back cost £8.50.
Museum was well worth it, free of charge, really lovely. Wish we had time to visit the Indian Pavillion thing in more than a glance at the outside because the inside is recommended by almost everyone you meet.
I give this hotel an EXCELLENT for this reason:
Came down at 530am, was offered 'coffee' (gratis) which was promptly given as the following:
Cafetiere of delicious coffee, warmed croissant, honey, jam, butter (and plenty of reading matter, with the paper given as soon as arrived) when I waited in reception prior to breakfast. I had not expected anything - breakfast was at 7 (or so) and they were concerned enough to deliver all that to me whilst I waited for the usual. In my opinion, THAT is the difference between a decent hotel and one that doesn't care about the individual.
When my partner and I went for breakfast at 7 ish the attention to detail was perfect. A wide selection of Continental (beautifully presented: fresh fruit, fruit juices, cereals, all the accouterments) or personally ordered cooked breakfast.
The cooked breakfast was exquisite. I deliver a decent breakfast as a tradition in my family - has to be like a 'Sunday breakfast'. Great sausages (main thing), choice of all the extras, e.g. choice of eggs. Here, give your order precisely to the waiter e.g. 'softly poached' (as I did) and that is EXACTLY what I got. Very decent breakfast.
My only reservations are that I didn't do a Marina view room and know what to do next time I go; but for the price I would state unreservedly that this is my first choice in Brighton next time and would need a big jump up to change my view.

Room Tip: Get a Marina room if you smoke, want romance (foremost), but don't worry if you are in the Marin...
1  Thank amanda_brooksbank
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed here in August for 2 nights as part of my 40th birthday celebrations (which also turned into our engagement celebrations)! The hotel was lovely and we had the quickest check in! The location in the Marina is perfect and we had a lovely view from our room. The rooms are lovely but are quite minimalist (it did remind me of IKEA!) not sure if it would be to everyone's taste but we liked it and the bed was very comfortable. There are lots of local places to eat if you don't want to eat in the hotel. We ate out the first night at the Terraces Bar near the Brighton Wheel which is worth a visit. We had my birthday meal the second night in the hotel and were very impressed with the food and service. The location of the restaurant also over looks the Marina, this is also where breakfast is served. This also have an outside terrace for when the weather is nice. Breakfast was lovely and cooked to order. Overall the who experience was very good and we would definitely stay there again when we go to Brighton.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Very nice stay for a weekend away. Great location and within walking distance to great dining and shopping. Great pizza right at the same complex. Starbucks downstairs. we had a great view of the Seattle space needle which looked awesome lit up at night. breakfast at the restaurant was just ok but the staff and room made up for it.

Room Tip: the upgrade to a corner suite was an extra $20 per night.