“Enjoyable visit”

Marwood Bar & Coffeehouse
Ranked #30 of 66 Coffee & Tea in Brighton
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Description: We like to think we serve pretty great coffee & some amazing homemade cakes. We are vegan & vegetarian-friendly and everything is made fresh on site. We are fans of people who bring their dogs, but also provide a dedicated laptop room upstairs to those wanting to do a little work. There's also a fully licensed bar serving until late if you want something a little boozy.
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We found Marwood online when looking at places to visit on a trip to Brighton. Quirky and interesting (lots of old toys and bits and pieces like a mannequin legs as table legs), a friendly welcome and service and good coffee. Very enjoyable.

There are newer reviews for Marwood Bar & Coffeehouse

Reviewed April 13, 2013

It's really disappointing when your experience of a great, quirky place is competely ruined by rude, arrogant staff. The last couple of times i've been the staff were unfriendly and dismissive, and it's actually a bit intimidating. When I rang them recently with an enquiry I was hung up on and sworn at by a girl in the background because the cafe was busy. I find this particularly offensive because I also work in a cafe and can appreciate how busy it can get but would never speak to anyone like that. It doesn't matter how trendy a place appears or even if the coffee is nice, if you're not made to feel welcome or are spoken to rudely then it's hard to enjoy it, and actually it can spoil your day. So many people I know have mentioned similar experiences with the Marwood that I felt the need to say something, and needless to say I won't be going again.

1  Thank Holly026_13
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Its fun, young and fresh. not a bad place to get a coffee. its very chilled out and you cant help feel cool when you sip away.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Some friends took us to this "cafe" after raving about it and I have to say I don't understand the hype. The food and drink were mediocre at best, the staff grumpy and the decor dirty. It is filled with kitschy junk and toys from the 70s, including dismembered dolls everywhere, and most of it hasn't seen a cleaning product in ages. It is dusty, dirty and trying too hard to be cool, a bit like an embarrassing uncle who is stuck in the 70s, attending your wedding thinking it is edgy that he smells of pot.
Why it has gotten such good reviews is beyond me. We were so disappointed, especially in light of the myriad of lovely looking independent cafes we passed on the way there. Won't be returning if we can prevent it.

2  Thank Dahlia06
Reviewed April 3, 2013

Never noticed this place on previous visits to Brighton, but on passed by it on a cold windy afternoon. Popped in coffee. Really quirky and whacky surroundings, tables made from half doors, toys on the walls, seats made from computers.

Coffee and service was excellent, so went back for breakfast the following morning. Pancakes with maple syrup and bacon - gorgeous. Never had it before but it was wonderful. Will definitely be going back for cake next time I'm in Brighton - hopefully in the summer when I can sit outside