“Expensive and Slow Service”
Review of The Hove Bank - CLOSED

The Hove Bank
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Booked a table for 6 people at 8pm. 3 of arrived and were seated. About 5 minutes later another 2 of our party arrived and were shown to a completely different table! The service was incredibly slow, almost an hour between starters and mains. We decided not to order desserts as it would've taken too long! The wine prices are high, you can take your own but they charge £10 per bottle corkage - yes I really did say £10!
Starters - DO NOT have the garlic portabello mushroom. It's about the size of a 50p and you only get one for £4.25. RIP OFF!
Mains - burgers were only luke warm, some chips looked like the scraps from the bottom of the pan, and my 7oz rump steak looked more like a 3oz!
Desserts - none ordered (see above for reason)
This was our first time at the Hove Bank and will definately be our last. We did complain about the mushroom starter and this was taken off the bill.

1  Thank dawnie112
There are newer reviews for The Hove Bank

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Where to start.....? The service was warm and welcoming, Sarah our waitress was really attentive and nothing was too much hassle for her. The food was amazing value for money, tasty and generously portioned! We even met the owner, who came over to our table after finishing our meal and clearly portrayed a genuine interest in our dining experience. His passion for the restaurant had clearly rubbed off on his staff, an all round positive experience, would highly recommend!

1  Thank Charlotte B
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Now, I'm sure there are one million reviews on here that start "I'm not one to complain".
But........ I'm really not one to complain, however - our experience at The Old Bank has left me with the social DUTY to write a review.

This was a few weeks ago - and every time we've told this story to friends, they've told us to put it on trip adviser. So here it is.......

My wife is mad about ribs, she lived in the US while she was a kid and always reminisced about the rib places back in New Jersey. We were overjoyed when we found this place and looked forward to it for while. We've hit tougher times recently and don't go out for dinner as much as we used to - so it was a big deal for us. It ended up being perhaps the most bizzarre restaurant experience we've ever had.

We arrived early evening - the welcome was warm and friendly and the hostess was lovely. The atmosphere was a little dull and empty, but the staff more than made up for it and made us feel very welcome. A great first impression.

Our starters were OK, standard fare that I must say was a little overpriced. We expected more but nevermind - not the end of the world. We were there for the Ribs anyway.

We ordered our mains. My wife of course had the ribs, and I had the steak. The ribs were good, but the steak was well, well, well past its best. My father was a butcher and I know when a steak has gone past its prime. This was really really bad - and had a smell of being at least 2 or 3 days past its best. I wanted to send it back but didn't want disrupt the meal for my wife. Generally very very disappointing for the price.

Anyway - this review isn't really about the food. So this is where it gets bizarre. While we were eating we were unexpectedly joined at our table by a gentleman who'd quite clearly had too much to drink. We did not invite this gentleman to our table and were quite surprised and offended that our meal was interrupted by someone just pulling up a chair, especially as he was quite clearly drunk.

After a bit of babbling and slurring of words - we then realised that this man was THE OWNER of the restaurant!!!! Seriously!!!

We laugh about it now, but at the time we were really offended and upset our meal had been interrupted. A proprietor of a restaurant really should know better that this. Quite frankly, it was just rude and shows little respect to customers.

Overall, in spite of the food being disappointing for the price - and there is a drunk who might just join you for your meal. The service is very good.

1  Thank John J
Reviewed February 21, 2013

After waiting an hour for food, a few of us were served raw chicken meat. When we brought it up with the waiter he told us there had been a few complaints that evening and it was due to the chef wanting to rush things out the kitchen. 2 of our party had already eaten a couple of the raw wings without first realising as they were covered in a bbq sauce. There was no real apology given to us, the waiter got quite rude and defensive saying "it happens in every restaurant". That is not an excuse for potentially poisoning a customer. I am so disgusted by the lack of concern that you have served and allowed someone to eat raw chicken meat. A terrible attitude was given to us from all the staff. The raw meet was rushed away from us but not before I had taken a couple of photos to report. Awful place, rude service.

Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

When your food arrives, and you have to tell the waitress what it should be served with according to the menu, that's never going to be a good sign. I ordered the shredded pork sandwich, which should be served with coleslaw on the side and a choice of a side. I asked for a salad, and it arrived with chips and no coleslaw. I sent the chips back, my salad finally arrived with no vinagarette. My coleslaw arrived after I asked for it 3 more times.

There was just such serious confusion when our food arrived, 2 dishes were wrong, the waiter and waitress didn't even know what they were bringing out! "I think this is a medium burger...." "Some sauces? i think it looks like mushroom..?" - not reassuring, we were only a party of 8!

My husband had the all you can eat ribs. The first rack was tiny, and stone cold. They seemed to improve by rack. By the the 4th they were lovely and juicy.

The dessert sundaes were very nice, and actually all arrived as we had ordered!

Not sure I'd go back. The food was nice once it arrived, but I found it slightly overpriced for what it is, and I'm still a little bit in shock about the waiting staff.

Also, their online menu is slightly different to the current one. I was looking forward to broccoli as a side, but it doesn't exist anymore.

1  Thank smosca