“Excellent lunch”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Met up with some friends here for lunch on Friday. There is a separate restaurant area, but we at at a large table in the bar which had a good lively lunchtime vibe. 7 of us shared a couple of the 'boards' as starters - both the fish and vegetarian boards had a good tasty variety of dishes. For main, I chose the Fish Bouillabaise which was truly delicious and filling. All of us thoroughly enjoyed our mains and the portion sizes did not disappoint. The draught beer slipped down a treat too :-).
I will certainly be coming back here on my next Brighton visit.
BTW I realised afterward that this is just a couple of streets away if you're staying at the Holiday Inn on the seafront

There are newer reviews for The Lion & Lobster

Reviewed July 9, 2014

I have been to this pub before for nibbles and drinks and it's really lovely. The internet population recommended the roasts there so I took my friend who was visiting Brighton. It was SO disappointing. It came out about 5 mins after we ordered which was just a bit too good to be true - the potatoes were soft with no crisp at all, the gravy had a skin on, the yorkshires literally tasted like nothing and were a bit burnt (how can you get yorkshires wrong?!). It had obviously been sitting there for some time (and it was only around 2.30pm when we went) and just reheated. I would have not minded if it was at a random pub but the food is meant to be good here and at the more expensive side of roasts (10 quid) I was really really disappointed. [I had the nut roast and it was nice, nothing special.]

Reviewed July 9, 2014

We had lunch here with some old friends. The pub is situated down a residential street near the West Pier, or what is left of it! The staff were friendly and helpful. The building has character but is in need of refurbishment. The service was good and fairly quick. However, our meals were only OK, nothing special, but weren't overpriced. We had fish and chips and there was a bit too much batter, although the wedge chips were nice.

Reviewed July 7, 2014 via mobile

Visiting this bar quite often and I can always say-one of the best places in Brighton! Good service, reasonable prices and perfect atmosphere!

1  Thank JPre85
Reviewed July 6, 2014

We came here for Sunday lunch after hearing so much about it and how good it was. To begin with it is a unique place and the staff were very friendly. However, that's as good as it got...

The vegetables were undercooked, while the potatoes, yorkshire puddings and stuffing were all burnt to a cinder! The meal itself was luke warm, it wasn't busy so would have expected it at least to be hot!

It has recently been sold to a London pub chain so don't know if that has anything to do with it. We won't be going back after our experience!

2  Thank Bath91