“Lost a bit of its magic but still a lovely intimate boutique hotel”
Review of Hotel du Vin

Hotel du Vin
Ranked #11 of 44 Hotels in Brighton
London, United Kingdom
“Lost a bit of its magic but still a lovely intimate boutique hotel”
Reviewed July 30, 2012

My husband and I have stayed here several times over the past 10 years. It has lost a bit of its specialness - rooms/service getting a bit tired and sometimes lazy. We usually stay in the twin tub room which is fun but I imagine an ordinary room there would make the overall experience nothing special. The staff were very nice and we had a pleasant stay but they were not as friendly and professional as other places in the same price bracket we've stayed in. We had (as always) such an amazing few days so tend to look at it all through rose tinted glasses but having taken a look at the reviews on here I can see why some people feel a bit negative about it. However, the Sunday roast lunch we had could not be faulted. The beef was served perfectly pink, and despite the very generous portions we still managed to polish it all off as it was just so very delicious! I really don't think they need to do too much to give it back its original sparkle that once saw it win best boutique hotel of the year (according to the Guardian) - I hope they do!

Room Tip: Go for the room with the twin tubs and telescope that looks out over the sea front (set back but you...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Turkish first
Herts. UK
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Stayed in a superior room for one night on a room and dinner 'deal'. Room was good size, well equipped well and comfortable.
But, on closer inspection the hotel needs a deep clean or freshen up. All doors have kick marks and windows are dirty (inside).

The quirky hide of the second set of towels was strange , and the prompt response from receiption to where they were hidden means this is a common question ( tip; if only one set of towels try looking in the wardrobe drawer!)
Location is great fro the seafront and centre, but its sidestreet location is dirty, the hotel should make the effort to clean the pavement around the hotel, especially after a Friday and saturday night ;-)

The thing that really bugged us was the way the corridors where full with laundry and cleaning bits and peices when we arrived and when we got up in the morning - seemed they wanted us out the rooms as soon as possible so they can make the turnaround and was not discrete at all.

Restaurant was good, cocktails and wine very good, but don't bother with the peppercorn sauce which is seriously missing the peppercorn!

The 8am firealarm was a good wakeup, and the 11am queue for checkout were other areas not making this a relaxing stay.

Overall, rooms look good and service is OK, but IMO not worth the money and will not be returning

Reviewed July 30, 2012

We have been going to the Bistro Restaurant at this Hotel since it opened,and am very reluctantly sharing the wonderful experience with you all. The food in the Bistro is excellent, the staff are friendly and very professional, the decor is very French and adds to the ambiance. The Bar area is always buzzing with people enjoying their drinks before dinner or just meeting friends, and family.I am disabled and cannot manage stairs,and the disabled toilet on the ground floor,is always clean and well maintained. The Hotel has no lift but there are Courtyard Rooms on the Ground floor,their Sunday three course lunch is excellent value at £24.95p, the wines start reasonably priced,and you can try the more expensive and excellent wines for that special occasion or treat. We have not stayed at the Hotel as we live locally,but we have stayed at their Hotel in Bristol, which was great,but my favourite is still the One in Brighton. I am sure like us you will enjoy your visit, and will keep coming back.There is also now a Pub Du Vin next door,which is also fun and does Pub meals, and you will find the staff equally as welcoming.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rolyian
Thame
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I love a Du Vin hotel so when my boyfriend took us here as a surprise this past weekend I was a very happy girl. Such an ideal location, just at the end of the lanes and a short stroll to the beach. Great bar and the restaurant looked great however i'd advise to book if you want to eat there, it gets pretty busy. We couldn't get a table but we had a fantastic meal at Riddle and Finns in the lanes, best seafood ever!! Our room was in the Pub section of the hotel, this concerned me thinking it would be noisey but it was absolutely fine. Air conditioning and well stocked mini bar. Would definitely like to stay here again!!

1 Thank JennySteele
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I would have been very upset if I have paid £195 for room only rate...even so I was very unhappy...My husband and I had vouchers given to us as a gift so we only had to pay a third of the total cost. I have previously had dinner in the restaurant on a couple of occasions, the food and service were faultless...so I was very excited to return and actually stay. We stayed in the Brown Brothers room what a huge disappointment...the furniture was shabby and not in a chic way...chipped wood across the small table that served a a dressing table the room was poky and the bed small in general my husband and I were cramped, the bathroom by comparison was spacious but the housekeeping left a great deal to be desired with the splash back behind the wash basin already marked as was underneath of the toilet seat...there was rust and black along the base of the shower screen...not good. The linen on the bed was lovely however...but that did not make up for the negatives .... I stayed at the Hilton Metropole Brighton earlier this year and the room was far superior as well as considerably more cost effective with fantastic facilities. I strongly suggest you stay there and pop into the Hotel du Vin to enjoy the ambiance for a drink or a meal. There are B&B's with superior rooms to the one we stayed in the du Vin!!! The whole experience was topped off with the fire alarm going off at 8am Sunday morning !!!

Room Tip: Do not book here if you are of limited mobility....and do not have the Brown Brothers room..
Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Arrived here for one night and stayed in one of the courtyard suites. nice room, maybe a bit small. There was a beer festival that night, so the room was very noisy as the restaurant bar was heaving. We tried to go in, but after 1 drink we retreated into the hotel bar- which was excellent. Hotel bar was quiet and relaxed with a vast drink selection- especially if you are a whisky drinker. Great location, except the parking situation..... was not told where to park so found an ncp about a 15 minute walk through the town with a suitcase- also very expensive.
We got the room at a discounted rate through my wifes work- we paid £79 for the night but understand its generally alot more expensive than that. We would stay again as the place itself is beautiful but wouldnt pay anymore than we did.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Midhurst, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2012

It was graduation day from Sussex uni and we wanted somewhere appropriate for the occasion without spending a fortune. I had heard that Hotel du Vin was excellent having a good value lunch time menu, an unusual and beautiful building and attentive service. There were 9 of us celebrating with 2 graduates in their gowns and we were all anticipating a good time. I had booked and explained we didn't want the graduation lunch at £35 but checked the lunch time meal was available for us all. When we arrived we were all handed the a la carte and wine lists and I had to ask 3 times for the lunch time menus. It was embarrassing and annoying as we were with our son's girlfriend's parents and we had explained to them the set up. We felt under pressure to order the expensive meal and my request for the other menu was ignored at least twice. I had to be very assertive and this shouldn't happen. Are they trying to push the a la carte menu ? Definitely. We still spent over £200 and the food was good but I won't go again. They had the cheek to add a service charge! I will stick to Brasserie Blanc where the food is as good and the lunchtime menu handed to you straight away. We felt second class!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family