“Excellent”
Review of Hotel du Vin

Hotel du Vin
Ranked #12 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed May 3, 2011

Last minute stay over bank holiday so we paid a premium. However Im a firm believer in 'you get what you pay for'. This place is in an excellent location and is a haven amongst the busyness of Brighton. The customer service is excellent, the rooms are of a high standard and the food is also of a high standard. There is a pub that is part of the hotel that is also very good and very relaxing. Without doubt I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank curysue1
Write a ReviewReviews (1,423)

Reviewed April 25, 2011

First the plus points -location and food. Minus points- without doubt the cost-£670 for two nights in a very small and noisy room with dinner one night. The courtyard needed a good clean and was a den for smokers -not pleasant when you have to go through it to reach your room. The attractions of the hotel are all available for the price of a cup of coffee (nice bar, sitting areas) with nothing extra to justify the high room tariff My advice would be stay somewhere cheaper and go there for dinner.

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed April 17, 2011

We stayed at Hotel Du Vin for one midweek night for a Friends wedding.

The hotel itself was pretty good, it didn't stand out from many other hotels I have stayed at before. The bed was too large for the room, it was a wooden framed bed and unfortunately the gap between the TV table and bed was far far too small, so much so my girlfriend really banged her knee on the bed. We had to move the TV out of the way to stop it from happening again.

The bathroom is fitted with a rainfall type shower which is not my preference, you can't adjust the head or remove it if required. Also the bathroom decor was very rough around the edges, not what I expected.

There was a nice selection of teas and coffees and there was proper milk in the Fridge rather than UHT.

The bar is REALLY expensive for a hotel. A small glass of Sauvignon Blanc was £6 and a vodka and orange juice was £5.90. A ridiculous price for patrons.

The worst is to come, 1 night stay cost £170....far far too expensive for the quality of the room in my opinion.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Just returned from a Friday night in the Vin, and I cannot praise it highly enough. We booked a junior suite in the new part of the hotel ... Beach Head was the name of the room. ( the Du Vin have taken over the next door building and extended. )
Room was superb, huge bed, pleanty of space and wardrobe space, free standing bath in the bay window and a MASSIVE two man double monsoon shower ... the bathroom was really lovely.
The location is exceptional, a few steps to the beach and a few strides in the other directionand you are in the lanes with all the shops and resturants you could want. We ate in the bistro in the evening and again, very high standard and service was perfect.
Also as an added bonus found out the hotel now takes dogs, use to go to the Grand because they take dogs, the Du Vin quality overall is far superior in my opinion, ( though the grand is more traditional in style ).
To top it all off I left a bracelett in my room of some value and they contacted me straight away and held it for me, they phoned me before i had even noticed it loss, you cannot ask for more than that and I cannot thank them enough.
Wonderful stay and we will definately be going back again.

Room Tip: If you want to eat in the bistro book in advance .
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jlmaryon
Reviewed March 22, 2011

I have stayed here at the weekend in the past and paid a lot of money for a tiny room. I was here for a meeting this time (Monday night) and the room was a hundred pounds cheaper and twice the size. Service was good, the meeting room in Pub du Vin was lovely and the lunchtime and breakfast food was superb.
The bar staff were knowledgable and very accommodating...... they stopped serving cocktails before 11pm but did do a few feasy ones for us after this time.
I love this chain of hotels and this was a very nice stay and a lovely experience.
My room was the furthest from the reception desk and I had to carry my case a very long way and up 3 or 4 flights of stairs..... I now have a very sore elbow!

Would recommend but remember .... no lifts so travel light!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed March 12, 2011

I booked this hotel as they were doing a special offer and it was in a fantastic location for our trip. It is located between the sea front and the lanes and only a 5 minute stroll from the Brighton Centre. It is also just round the corner from Jamie's Italian, which is well worth a visit. The staff were very friendly and helpful. We arrived early and they took care of our bags, which they had moved to our room by the time we booked in. The room itself was spacious and the bathroom very nice, with large walk in monsoon shower and freestanding bath. We stayed on a Monday night and it was mostly quiet apart from a few creaky floorboards above us.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2011

I booked HdV as part of my girlfriend's birthday treat. She loved it... We had a great room with a little terrace (where I can smoke), very good bed linen, very comfortable roll top bath and spacious shower. Room service breakfast was excellent (though its limited to continental) and.. it was bang on time. The bar know how to mix a bloody mary... Outside terrace has a fabulous little cigar room... though the heaters weren't working. Yes the parking issue is highly irritating, but I think that is Brighton, just deal with it. The plus side, one is right in the centre of things and everything is a short walk.
I was a little surprised at all the negative reviews on here... HdV is a hedonistic mellow sort of place and no it isn't going to be like other hotels, but we did see a few poeple complaining as we left... All staff were perfectly pleasant. Kind of telling that the management aren't answering on here... I'd rather stay here than any of the conference hotels or the converted townhouses.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple