“Gourgeous food in a nice setting”
Review of Chaula's

Chaula's
Ranked #292 of 1,189 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Buffet, Delivery, Reservations
Description: THE ULTIMATE EXPERIENCE IN TRADITIONAL HOME COOKED GUJARATI AND OTHER INDIAN REGIONAL FOOD. We began selling our home cooked food from our grocery shop in Lewes. The reaction was so positive that it inspired us to sell fresh, as well as frozen food throughout shops in Sussex and Surrey. We expanded the business and moved to Station Street in Lewes. Further success inspired us to open CHAULA'S INDIAN RESTAURANT IN LEWES 2007 AND IN BRIGHTON 2012. We believe that Indian cuisine is a combination of subtle taste. Flavours are as varied as the climate and exotic as the people of India. The appreciation of spices and combination is an acquired art and can only be achieved after many, many years of studied blending, cooking and tasting. At Chaula's, value our patron's opinions and concerns in the modern day world of health consciousness- our scrumptious food is prepared only with Sunflower Oil that is low cholesterol and freshly ground spices, without the use of artificial flavours and colourings. WE ONLY USE FRESH CHICKEN AND MEAT. I have worked very hard to perfect this fine art without compromising on taste and authenticity. We are confident that after sampling our culinary delights you would agree that there is nothing but the best at Chaula's. We take pride in welcoming you again and again. WE ARE RENOWNED FOR OUR SIGNATURE DISHES. "THE FOOD OF INDIA, NOT JUST INDIAN FOOD" We hope you enjoy the experience. -CHAULA & JANAK
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Have tried to Lewes Chaulas last time I was in Sussex but the food in this one seemed much better.
Many dishes on here not your typical curry-house fare but so worth trying out!
Staff were friendly and efficient. The Masala Dosa starter was awesome! Some of the stuff tasted like my mums cooking soo much (I'm asian) lol
A great meal would defo go again next time.

1  Thank Raz M

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

This is the 3rd time we've eaten here in the last few weeks, I love it so much. The lunch time buffet doesn't have as much choice as other places. However, each dish is cooked well and tastes great. In the evening, the dosa is great and huge - the small one was enough for 2 as a starter. I had a rich lamb dish for main course. This is not like the usual Indian restaurant where they cook the meat and sauce separately. Here the meat is stewed slowly in the sauce. Tonight we had the veggie and non-veggie thali's. They were great. Each of the 5 small portions of curry is beatifully spiced. I love meat but the veggie was every bit as tasty as the meat. There is NOWHERE in Brighton that compares with Chaula's for Indian food.

2  Thank Rewhog
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Another great meal in chaulas with a fabulous authentic Indian menu. Lots of veggie options, just like India, excellent service, perhaps a bit pricey for the portions, but a great meal every time.

1  Thank kittycritter
Reviewed June 28, 2013

A friend and I visited this evening. "2 Veggie Thalis please" ... at £13.99 each. Yes £13.99. The staff were pleasant. The place itself is nice enough, nothing special. The food took long enough to come that we just "started to wonder" if you know what I mean.

As for the food, well, it just wasn't worth £14. It wasn't bad, just ... average. :|

1  Thank JustinPhilpott
chaulap, Owner at Chaula's, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2013

Hi JustinPhilpott sorry for the disapointment I am doing Thalis from 6 years now this is the first complaint i am getting about the price and food. We just had a full page review in Viva Lewes about our Thali.
In Thali you get 4 curries, 1 daal, two samosa, rice, whole naan bread, salad, raitu,Indian sweet and you still think its expensive. Hope to see you in future trying our varied range of food.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

A Evening Spoilt
We are an Indian Couple staying in South East UK. We wanted to have some Indian Food out so unfortunately, landed into Chaula’s Restaurant in Brighton yesterday evening. It was a weekday and we thought some nice Indian food would be refreshing, but our evening was spoilt by the pathetic service and below average food.
When we went in there were couple of tables empty. We asked for the one which had a couch seating arrangement. We were denied that table saying that is for 3 people. The table was not reserved. So as good citizens we settled for a small table in the middle of the pass way. As soon as we sat down, two English gentlemen entered the restaurant and asked for the same table. Despite other tables being empty and being 2 in number they were offered the table with the couch which we had asked merely seconds before. We ignored the fact and concentrated on the Menu. While we were still looking the foods menu and were about to check the drinks menu, a waiter came up and without asking took away the drinks menu and passed it onto other table where another family of other nationality was seated. This was a very abrupt action and before we could realize what he did, he was gone.
My husband called the waiter and asked him “Are you short of menus?’ He sounded lost and he said I will check and ran away. Meanwhile when the other family completed their ordering process, we were given the drinks menu back.
I ordered for a fresh lime and my husband ordered a glass of wine. I got the so called fresh lime after sometime. The waiter served it without a tray the fresh lime was overflowing from the glass and he kept the dripping glass in front of me. I tasted it and it was I don’t know what. Never tasted a worst fresh lime. Seemed, they have taken some tap water and added some lime juice to it. Most awful thing I ever had. I lost it and called the waiter and asked is this what you serve for Fresh Lime. He took it away then another waiter came with the same glass asking what was wrong with it, I told him it was completely tasteless so took it over the bar and right in front of me added some sugar with his hand and some ice again using his hand and got it back.
Then came the starters which were cold, the Paneer in my Paneer Tikka was really hard. We finished our starters waited so long to get our table cleared after a long wait he cleared our table and even till then my husband never got his wine and again after serving everyone else around us who came after us he got us our main course and then he remembered about the wine we told him we don’t want it now but he insisted and said it’s on the house.
We somehow finished our meal by that time it was really difficult for us to sit there as we were feeling insulted and when the bill came he had added the wine in it, we didn’t say anything because didn’t want to create a scene and spoil others evening, but the overall experience was a disaster we are never going back there.
I just want to know one thing, being an Indian if I go to an Indian restaurant, if there a difference in money that I pay as compared to a person with other nationality. We have never experienced such an awful service ever in India even.
I would rate this restaurant as the most pathetic one I have ever been. The staff is senseless. I would never recommend this to anyone.

2  Thank Ayesha K
chaulap, Owner at Chaula's, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Hi Ayesha thankyou for your review you have been to our restaurant couple of times before and food has been always good. This time its just a bad timing you wanted the couch sitting was refused as we had the booking of three there was no other table available, unfortunately they turned up only 2 we can provide the phone numbers.
Rest i would like to only say we are here to make our business work not break. We take pride in our food and quality of service its a family run business.
Sorry to upset about the sitting if that was provided i am sure there would have been no problem.
We are Indians we cannot be racist and a glass of wine was given on the house as a goodwill gesture. Once again looking forward to seeing you.
Regards Chaula.