“Truly awful Food and Service”
Review of Cornel's Cafe Bar - CLOSED

Cornel's Cafe Bar
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Visiting Brighton Easter weekend we decided to pop in to Cornel's for a late lunch. Waited for about 5 mins to get attention of the staff, eventually told by staff to grab a table. Waited a further 10 mins for a menu, customers next to us gave us their menu as they left saying they were fed up waiting. Should have set warning bells ringing. Waiter eventually arrived to take order and told us they were short staffed. On taking our order we were told that burgers would take at least 15mins. He encouraged us to order some bread with olive oil and balsamic. On arrival the bread was cold, hard and dry. The fish I ordered was anaemic, cold and soggy and meant to be in a beer batter. I don't think it ever even sniffed a beer bottle.The chips were slices and warm and soggy and the peas where a thimble full in a ramekin and smothered in an inch of butter.. My friends vegetarian burger was passable but her sons was served rare to medium and promptly fell apart when picked up. Bad point don't seem to offer a children's option. The table next to us ordered a roast dinner and in all honesty it didn't look any better, over cooked and miserable looking vegetables.
The problem is this place is trying to be all things to all people and doing all of it very badly. On clearing the table the waitress was not happy when we did not give the food a good review.
Trying to pay the bill to leave this establishment was as bad as trying to place an order. It took at least 15 mins to get the bill I almost wanted to leave without paying.
I would not recommend this restaurant/cafe to anyone who enjoys good food or service. Stay clear.

3  Thank julesgee
There are newer reviews for Cornel's Cafe Bar

Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is a great little restaurant with a varied and interesting menu and good service. The décor is attractive with artistic photos on the walls. The place was busy when we were there, on a Saturday afternoon, and had a lively atmosphere. The food is good and the prices are very reasonable for what you get. Three of us ate well here, including drinks, for £40.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

As a semi regular to the Kemptown area, which is spolit with good eateries some of which are a little on the pricey side I thought it worth giving Cornel's a look, Well worth it, a friendly greeting, honest description and information from knowledgeable cheerful staff, who have a sense of humour. Speedy efficient service, and sumptuous food. I opted for the Smoked Esplanade burger which was the best burger I have EVER tasted, tender, moist and well presented. I and my friend were so impressed we dined their again the following evening. A definite MUST TRY AGAIN

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I've been here a few times and always at the weekend when I come down from crawly. It's a lovely place but they seem to never have enough staff on, as a waitress myself I can tell when a member of staff is putting on a smile and is obviously stressed from running around trying to make everyone happy but can't because it's impossible to give a great service with one waitress to 20 tables which it looks like is happening here. The place has great potential in a lovely area and food was above average.

1  Thank Classygurl89
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Possibly the best burger I've eaten to date. A bold claim indeed.

As a take away customer I can't say much about the service other than I got a smile when I Walked in which is always a good start.

But back to the burger. I don't eat a lot of meat, so when I do I like to eat the best quality I can find. I ordered the mushroom burger and went double, and it did not dissapoint. The beef was so tasty and the burger itself had that homemade look and texture.. It had a generous helping of mushrooms,a slathering of horseradish and salad. I've been to GBK a few times which I rate, but this one took the top spot.

I'm interested to go back and check out more of the menu, and the service which clearly takes a beating on here.

One very sated customer.