“Awful pizza, long wait, rude management.”
Review of Pizza 500

Pizza 500
Ranked #351 of 1,433 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Took hour and half to receive 3 pizzas, multiple tables in front of us got orders. Prioritizes deliveries in front of customers. Pizzas were awful, rushed lack of cheese, rock hard like cardboard. No flavour. When we complained management aka the chef said it was their style. (Their style is cardboard pizza, we banged it on the plate to show we couldn't even cut through) made no difference he refused to take any money off the bill. Awful, STAY AWAY. choose to any other Brighton pizza place, Pizza VIP. Fatto a Mano, etc.

Date of visit: September 2019
1  Thank samw997
Write a reviewReviews (249)

Reviewed August 12, 2019

We visit Pizza 500 regularly as a family of 4, mainly on Friday nights when its busy. This is a fantastic Pizza restaurant, its independently run and the owner is the chef. Its completely authentic and the pizzas and all the ingredients are fresh. The ice cream is loved by the boys and the entire menu, including the drinks are really reasonable.
At busy times the food can take longer as its also a takeaway, however it is worth the wait.

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed August 9, 2019

Me and my partner decided to visit pizza500 for our anniversary night out. I have personally never visited before as I’m not from Brighton, my partner hyped it up so much saying it was a small independent Italian restaurant, which the family worked in. Which I appreciated as my family are Sardinian.

When we arrived we where placed in a corner outside behind a shed, which wasn’t a nice seat for anyone to sit at. We asked if we could sit at a different table outside and the ‘manager’ explained its their busiest night and that they will need to keep they tables? It was dead, there was three tables dining in.
Moving on, we order a pizza and beer each- the fungi pizza and the pizza with anchovies and olives.
As the pizza was placed in front of me I was already questioning it. Why is there cheese on half the pizza? Why do the olives look like they have a plastic case on them? I could already tell the pizza was cooked that much it looked like a ryvita.
It was tough to eat, both from the pizza so tough and cardboard like to the olives that where nuked in the oven that became paste like. I wasn’t aware that the olives had stones in them, I don’t know who puts olives with stones on a pizza anyway- rather dangerous if you ask me. Anchovies where short there could’ve been a few more, maybe a bit of basil to top it off?
We ate around half of the pizza and decided to stop trying to force ourselves to eat something and just complain. May I add that We’ve both never complained about any food service or food in our lives. I’m 27 and I’ve been working in the hospitality industry since I’ve been 17, both waitressing , managing and cooking. I currently stand as a chef.

If the young man serving us had asked how our pizza was after the first or second slice in which he should’ve done, I would’ve explained then that it was awful. He only asked us as he was clearing the plates and at that it was the man behind the bar who cleared them. I explained that the pizza was terrible and that I don’t want to pay for it. He got the manager back out and he looked so confused at why I don’t want to pay. I explained in full and he had a word with the” boss”. He then came back and explained that he can give me 10% off and that he apologise for not explaining about the olives having stones in them, that she cheese is weighed. At this point I wanted to just get up and walk away. His customer service skills need serious training, he wasn’t listening clearly. When a customer tells you that your food is terrible, it should be voided from the bill. I said I’ll happily pay for the beers in which I did. As he took our payment he was very rude, incredibly blunt, unapologetic and sulky. The pizza chef was also scowling at us as. I’ve never felt so uncomfortable or anxious.

I’ve worked in this industry long enough to see many different people come through our doors. People who complain every time they visit to get free food, genuine people who just don’t like the taste of our food and the guests that food hasn’t been cooked to standard by our kitchen. Whatever the matter, listen to your customers or you’ll have none!

I had a look at the photos on the reviews here and our pizza looked nothing like the photos!
We decided to eat at another restaurant ( rusticos) the staff there looked really happy and enthusiastic which gave off a comfortable dining experience.

I wouldn’t say I won’t eat here again, maybe in the future if things are different. Every restaurant deserves a chance and it’s not necessarily the owners fault it’s the staff running the place. My partner loves food and always talked about this place so I hope it pulls itself back to however it used to be.

I’ve never wrote a review before but I had to in this case so that the owner is aware of how the restaurant is being ran.

Date of visit: August 2019
1  Thank Kimchibex
Reviewed August 1, 2019 via mobile

This place never disappoints. Really good quality pizza, Good wine at a fair price and great service. A winning formula

Date of visit: August 2019
pizza500, Owner at Pizza 500, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2019

Thank you guys feedback is always appreciated and the positive one is always motivating

Reviewed July 31, 2019

We visited last night. Should have been 5 persons but 3 overslept from their siesta so was only 2. We had fantastic wine and started on pizza and meat dishes when we received word the other 3 were now awake and looking for us. The restaurant changed our table in anticipation of the others joining us despite being really busy.

Homemade pizza and gelato to die for. The place looks very unappealing from the outside ( only went in as read previous reviews on trip advisor) but inside and the courtyard is an absolute delight. The staff are so friendly and professional.

Rated 10/10.

Thank you guys for a lovely night for my wife's Birthday.

Date of visit: July 2019
pizza500, Owner at Pizza 500, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2019

Thank you guys real feedback is always appreciated and motivating for us to do better and better