“A place of excellence with theatre it aint '--tear it down.!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 159 things to do in Brighton
London, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“A place of excellence with theatre it aint '--tear it down.!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

Just saw the 'Joan Rivers' comedy tour there this evening ,she is just great ;as always but the venue....oh my.!... second time I have visited there;the first time 5 years ago and was in the circle seats so did not see as much of the venue as I did tonight..!! disracefull place, even after the recent make over to mainly the exterior entrances. Firstly the staff and security men were noisy and rude and oblivious of the public and their needs. On entering the ground floor foyer you saw the clear signs to the various areas of the theatre,For instance our seats were in the Stalls area; sign directed you to first floor foyer and then signs where to go disappeared..you had to walk to various doors to find how to get to the stalls..marked...yes....not stalls but..Auditorium ?? crazy. Then on that floor is a drinks stall..with a coke costing..wait for it...£2.10p. each in an open plastic glass,no lid offered or available to save spilling it! and rude girl serving there too.!
When the oversized female 'jobsworth' on the Auditorium door decided it was time to let us in to our seat; opened the doors, which could have been opened earlier, especially for older people who were left standing and milling about in the foyer..reason being they are a Council owned building and wanted to ensure we all paid every penny in sales for drinks etc. before letting us in. This would have happened anyway, if you want a drink it can still be obtained and brought in with you to your seat.
The building seems vast and spacious, yet poorly designed, no feeling of warmth to it and the Theatre/conference area is a complete mess..our seats were Stalls Row V1.2.3 & 4 close to the entrance doors with a concreted area set to the left of the auditorium;completely divorced from the theatre area..the stage was way over to the right .People were walking back and for to the bar/drinks stall across this open area in front of us as if we were in a park at a fairground venue ..back and fro back and fro..crazy.
The seats were ridiculous, so hard our backsides were numb ! not proper theatre seats at all, makeshift fold ups..and at £30 a seat a disgrace to the Industry..a typical Local Council carve up..If a Private organisation operated like the Council there they would be jumped upon by the Council enforcers right away..talk about Health & Safety..its a joke. On entering the ground floor some glass(fire ?!) doors could not be opened to the street for a wheel chair user to gain access for some time, outside in the pouring rain;another door had to be used, was told the other aluminium double glazed door was warped(brand new refit recently undertaken!!).So this is how our rates are wasted..!
There was a lot of local talk over the last few years about knocking the out dated venue down,now I know why. Do it Brighton Council... soon.!! and get the double glazing contractors back to sort the warped doors out and change the undersized locks and hinges to those doors. The food/cafe area was closed at a time when people would have wanted to buy food whilst waiting to get in from the entrance foyer to the Main foyers.Why.!! crazy. but being the only main concert venue of it size in Brighton leaves a lot to be desired.

Visited October 2012
1 Thank AlienWicker

• Slovak first
Brighton, United Kingdom
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 169 helpful votes
“A Monstrosity”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2012

Is this the best the Brighton Council can do? This building is a disgrace - if an architect designed this building they must have been a trainee. This building is a testament to the effectiveness of the Town and Country Planning Act. It needs to be pulled down and an award winning architect designed building constructed in its place.

Visited October 2012
Lewes, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Red Warning!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

I have just visited a wine fair at the centre & felt that I needed to add a comment. Firstly as I walked into the hall where the fair was taking place I suddenly felt dizzy & slightly nautious. The carpet is bright red & then the lights were all up full plus the stands all had their own lights. I have never ever experienced that feeling before but as I stepped on to the red carpet I felt that I may have to turn round & leave because I felt so bad. I managed to stay & enjoy the wine tasting but only by keeping my head up while walking between the stalls. I was determined that it would not ruin my day but must admit that it did spoil it..... Dizzy & nautious before even one taste of wine!

My second comment has to be about 'some' of the staff. On the whole the staff there working for the centre were polite, friendly & efficient. At the end of the day it was those that were clearing the room of people, those employed as bouncers, that ruined it. They may well have to contend with packed concerts & rowdy crowds but the way that we were spoken to & treated was not right at all. I found them very rude. We were not rowdy or refusing to leave. I found them so offensive that I feel I have to mention it....... Send them on some people management courses!

Both of these experiences tainted my whole impression if the centre.

Visited September 2012
1 Thank SouthernEll
Brighton, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Biggest, not best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

No heart to this venue - sound not always great for live gigs. Food and drink VERY expensive and you have to queue for ages!

1 Thank Andrew J
London, United Kingdom
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Great Place to Shop and Relax”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

it is a great place to shop but also to relax after all the walking around the shops. It is an ideal place to come to when you want a break from the pier.

Visited September 2012