“Great food in local pub but needs to up the service!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Sussex Yeoman
Ranked #152 of 1,098 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Fusion, Gastropub
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The Sussex Yeoman is two minutes' walk from Brighton station. Great locally and ethically sourced ingredients, extensive menus, wines and real ales. For reservations please call.
Brighton and Hove, United Kingdom
“Great food in local pub but needs to up the service!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013 via mobile

Booked for 15 on a Sunday. Busy but pub still ready for us on arrival. Good space, atmosphere and music. Excellent food-best roast in ages!!! But service was below average for a £15 roast!! Bar staff could not remember drink orders or clear up plates. There were 3 staff on and plates were only cleared as about to leave. No reason to order pudding.

• Visited December 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Glacier National Park, Montana
“excellent food/couple of gripes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

I went here today for lunch. The place wasn't too busy, no intrusive music and very friendly and obliging staff. Interesting menu with lots of choice and my cod dish was excellent and my friend loved the venison burger.
One thing I would say is boycott the Sun! Really, I know some people still read it but I don't!
More importantly I think you need to advertise that you are dog friendly. I would not have come if I had of known this because I am allergic to dogs and seeing bar staff stroking dogs and then serving food and drink without washing their hands really makes me feel sick! I guess if you have a dog you feel differently.
Lovely food though. Would go again and customer service is excellent.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Steak and Chips...yum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

Popped in here on a Monday night whilst on a business trip, the first thing I noticed was it was quite busy. For a Monday night this was a good sign.

I had the Rib Eye steak with the triple cooked chips. It was lovely. Steak was massive I took a photo of it but it doesnt do it justice. Plently of other meat and fish dishes on the menu which also looked good and if they tasted as good as the steak then I would like to go back.

Friendly service and I thought reasonably priced.

Visited November 2013
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Pleasant suprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

after ages of trying to find somewhere to eat (All the places we wanted to go to were full) we eventually stumbled upon this place about 50m up a hill from Brighton station! People running the place couldn't be more helpful and we waited only 5 mins for a spare table. Good real ale on tap and a great atmosphere as the place was full! Menu was excellent home cooked food and not too pricey, we will be back, thx

1 Thank slikyskills
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food and amazing service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

I went to the Yeoman this Saturday and had a fantastic meal. Other choices were fully booked but this turned out to be much better than where I first had in mind! The staff were fun and friendly and I had possibly the best service I've ever had in a restaurant - they overheard me telling my parents that I had proposed to my partner (and she said yes!) and so they gave us a complementary bottle of Prosecco - wonderful!

The prices used to be quite high but they were very reasonable, as were the portion sizes. When I went to Jamie's Italian a while ago the dishes were several pounds more expensive but quite a lot smaller. The food here was delicious - a really cheesy stilton and broccoli soup with lots of nice bread, then some really tasty open ravioli with goats cheese, pesto and spinach amongst other things. The meaty options looked awesome too.

I would thoroughly recommend anyone to go eat there. I would definitely go again but I'm leaving the country in a couple of days!

All in all an awesome eating experience.