“Old school cool”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2013

It was my birthday, so my better half booked a table at Havana Spoon. We have been in Brighton for 3 years now and hadnt managed to visit the sister restaurant to he well established bar Havana.

On arrival we proceeded straight to the bar, well it was my birthday. I ordered off menu, an Old Fashioned. The bartender was more than happy to oblige and made the drink very well. My better half had a rum punch and asked for it to be less sweet than the recipe suggested, which was also made perfectly.

The decor of the Restaurant and bar, takes me back a bit to the late 90s, its chic and the deep soulfull house music, places it with the more trendy bars and restaurants in London.

The atmosphere was good and people had put on their glad rags.

And so to the food. I ordered the foie gras. It came as described, with brioche and melted in the mouth. Rachel ordered the musroom rissoto which came in a coffee cup. The Rissotto wwas delicious and very rich. The rice cooked perfectly with a bit of bite. It was full of flavour and the cheese running through the dish made for a pretty full on experience.

For our mains I had the Monkfish, which came with a couple of prawns and some mash, again really well cooked. The Monkfish was velvety, this was a subtle dish with great flavours. Rachel had the Venison which came with Liver, mas and kale. Again faultless cooking. The liver was tender with just that hint of rawness and the Venison was rich with the sauce and beautifully cooked. There was a lot of skill on show in these dishes.

For dessert I had the Polenta cake which was served with Chocolate and a chilli sorbet, which had a nice kick to it, with small peices of grapefruit. A perfect end to a perfect meal.

The service throughout the night was very good and the cooking excellent. The bill came to £175, but we had ordered a decent bottle of wine at £60, so I think this was good value when you considere the standard of the cooking.

Apalce to dress up and spoil yourself.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

This was my second visit to Havana Spoon in Hove, the first was very successful. However, on this visit we ordered a starter for two of Tempura which was described on the menu as having calamari and salmon - it didn't have either, just two prawns and some veg, which was all tasty and fresh but overall the dish was not quite as expected.

I ordered the monkfish main which stated as cooked in Barolo sauce, served with baby potatoes - it came with sauce on the side, no potatoes but with shallots and prawns. Again, very nice but not exactly what I was expecting.

I'm afraid there wasn't a dessert that either me or my partner fancied although we could both have easily polished one off - I was still hungry after my Tempura and extremely sparse main!

A little more attention to detail for me would have gone a very long way to making this a far better experience.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

We (4 of us) really enjoyed our Christmas Day lunch. Good decor, atmosphere, very pleasant staff and beautifully cooked and presented food. Read disappointing review by oltfbb but that wasn't our experience. Beautiful scallops, perfectly cooked venison. Very classy turkey dinner and fish. We are exacting over our food standards and this easily met our requirements.
I thought it was well worth £70 for Christmas Day. I have never been out for Christmas lunch before. I would very happily go there again.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

My wife and I started in the bar which is excellent. The decor, lighting and service is very good and the bar staff are very professional and helpful.
We went through to the restaurant and were shown to our table. We had some nibbles as a starter and a main course each plus a bottle of wine. The bill came to around £100 which was no surprise, the food was good as was the service so you would think we will be booking our next meal. The only complaint I would have is the food was warm at best, the presentation was fantastic and it's possible they spent so much time decorating the plate the food became cold.
One of the seats was a sofa, if we book again we will know to ask for a table with two chairs, the restaurant we found to be very stark with little or no atmosphere and so bright, it was like eating under a spotlight. The tables are bare white as are the walls which is supposed to give the effect and I guess with the correct lighting it could.
We are very local to this restaurant as it is at the top of our road, we have not visited before as we were waiting for the "ESSEX" crowd to find somewhere else which they now have, we may go back someting to try again but there is so much competition in the area.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We booked a table for the Christmas lunch, expecting a delicious stress-free meal. We were initially impressed with the decor and the friendly service but the quality of the food was seriously bad.....

We had many a times eaten much better quality food in places charging half the price.

For £70 per head, we were served the Christmas 5 course lunch:

1 Canepes - soggy popcorn flavoured with sundried tomatoe dust. They tasted like they were made at least 2 days ago...... Olives that was taken straight out from the tin......... and a tiny bit of goat cheese on a small bit of old biscuit......

2 Starter - we had the Salmon and Scallop. Both of which were very average.

3 Mains - Lobster served with tagliatelli. It looked impressive but again tasted very bland. Altogether there were 3 small pieces of lobster meat which were overcooked. We had also ordered medium rare steak which was served almost well done......

4 Dessert was just bad ..... period....... It did serve one of its purpose though, as we both didnt want to eat anything else afterwards...

5 The best course was the good quality organic tea that was served. To be honest it was difficult for them to screw this one up unless they forgot boil the kettle. This was served with 4 pieces of truffle/ nougat that we didnt bother to touch.....

Overall we felt that the experience we had in this restaurant was very poor amd definitely did not deserve the £200 that departed from our pockets.

Really really disappointed on a special occasion.......