“Basic & breezy”
Review of Smart Sea View

Smart Sea View
“Basic & breezy”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Budget hotel & hostel. I can't comment on the hostel part as I stayed in a private single room.

I knew it would be basic and it was but no problems there. I paid £35 for the night so you get what you pay for. The bathroom was small but clean and modern. Bed was fine. Room was small but again it's budget.

The only thing I'd say is the top end of the bed was right below the window, which was really drafty. So in the summer I guess this would be nice! but not quite the weather to make it pleasurable when I stayed.

Reception was fine, although having to pay £2 to store my bag came as a bit of a surprise.

It's about a 30-45 minute walk to the pier etc so worth considering that as there's not a lot else going on around the hotel...apart from the Alibi pub directly opposite which I found to be a good one!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 13, 2013

My mother and I stayed here for the Brighton marathon, I am absolutely disgusted by this place and can't believe we paid £140 to stay here. There were no parking facilities even though it stated there was on the website. The room absolutely stinks and we can hear everything that's going on next door and in the hall. Shower was blocked and absolutely rank. Reception staff were unhelpful and couldnt manage the visitors in reception, disorganised. Can't wait to leave and get home tomorrow.

Room Tip: Don't stay here to begin with.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Christinamaz

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 3, 2013

A group of 9 stayed here during the Easter bank holiday weekend. 6 of us were in a dorm, 3 creaky bunk beds and one sink. We were handed sheets at reception on arrival so had to make our own bed, although a grotty duvet was provided on each bed which clearly never gets cleaned. The sink in our room was broken and was full of dirty water from the previous guests, when we reported it to reception they said they would take a look but never did. We had 6 lockers in our room, none of which had locks so were in fact completely useless. Two of our friends had a private room which was a much better standard although it did cost them £60. If you are willing to pay that much for a double room then there are much better places to stay in Brighton for that price! We didn’t spend any time here at all, just used it to rest our head for a few hours then escaped as soon as we could. I’d look elsewhere when booking your next trip to Brighton.

2 Thank ML0u4
Ilford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 2, 2013

The place is disgusting, the beds are filthy, the showers are terrible, there are far too few facilities for the amount of people it (tries) to accommodate. You can drink, eat, play music, there are no Tvs or fun anywhere basically. Its worse than a prison.... except you have to pay to stay here.

Not only that but the staff are extremely unhelpful, completely apathetic, they obviously know how bad the place is and can't be bothered to do anything about it. There are plenty of better places to stay nearby, in fact just get done for a drunken and disorderly and stay in jail for the night at least you will be treated better!

1 Thank Richard C
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This place really does give me the creeps. Felt like prison, creaky bunk beds, make your own bed, smelly, barred up windows, plumbing on display and missing radiators, dust dirt and grime all over, no drinking, no eating, no music, no tv, no plugs, no lamp shades, check out after 10am get charged for another day and take your bedding off as you leave.

Please please please avoid, places like this shouldn't be allowed to be sold for value. If this was free I would consider taking my chances on the beach with just a bit of cardboard on the floor. Unless you like the whole prison scenario....or possibly running a murder mystery night.

I wouldn't say I got exactly 50 winks, more like 25 blinks to make sure I wasn't picked up and plonked on the set of saw 6. And no, I didn't want to play a game. The other 25 blinks were removing dust and dirt!

Customer service was average at best. But this is judged on zero interaction.

It is a good 20 min walk to the bars and clubs...£7 in a cab!

1 Thank Bizzy999
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Room for 18 people with only three terrible showers, one small sink with a minuscule mirror, two toilets including one nobody would use because it was so disgusting, dirty and the toiletpaper was even dusty. And it is impossible to keep your feet dry in there, so the floor is always disgusting and wet, bringing the dirt in the sleepingroom as well. It is freezing in the bathroom and the rooms as well, the windows cannot close properly, there are no curtains or anything, the sheets provided did not look perfectly cleaned, the breakfast was seriously poor (cereals and some bread and butter, no coffee nor tea, and the juices were worse than medics ..). The common room and the staff were ok, and it is very happily situated, but do not trust the frontage.

1 Thank Bertheva
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Unfortunately I was very disappointed by my stay at this hostel. I understand that it is cheap and you get what you pay for but the room (no. 204, 6 bed dorm) wasn't very nice at all. One major down point was the fact that our windows were broken so we couldn't close them, which meant that it was extremely cold and very noisy from the main road. I was actually shivering at some points during the night, and luckily I had earplugs with me because there was a lot of noise coming from the other rooms in the hostel. The floor seemed quite unclean and there were stains on some of the bedding. The staff at the front desk were quite helpful as not all of our group turned up at the same time, however the next morning they tried to keep our deposit by claiming we had taken more keys, which was untrue. However this could have been a computer error. On the plus side it is only a 20 minute walk from Brighton town centre.