“Anthony, Isle of Man”

Smart Sea View
Hove, United Kingdom
“Anthony, Isle of Man”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

This is a budget place £30 for a single with en-suite, its a 15 to 20 minute walk into Brighton or 5 minutes from Hove center. The rooms are basic but warm and comfortable.there is traffic noise, so earplugs if your a light sleeper. There is parking for £5.00 for the day, that's pretty good because parking is a real pain in Brighton,You can also get a visitors permit for £2.50 a day, you need 2 forms of id with address though.
I,m in the process of re-locating here and Madeline, Frank and Silvio were fantastic, they really went out of their way to help me out, so a big thanks to them. The Brazilian girls and the other staff were great as well,and made me feel welcome.
If you have a vehicle and on a budget, you,ll struggle to do better.

Room Tip: The twin rooms(211) are good, if you can take the traffic noise
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Anthony M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Dorset
Reviewed January 6, 2013

As usual , I think reviewers lose sight of what they are paying for with a Hostel room. We had a double private ensuite room for 3 nights. The room was fairly basic , but comfy, clean and tidy , TV, nice bathroom/shower clean but a bit dated. Tea and Coffee and Kettle. Blinds a bit crappy wouldnt close properly, No view as such, only on to the back yard, but then we were out Exploring all day and it was dark when we got back ! Nice and warm radiators. Bed nice and comfy and adequate Duvet etc. Someone changed the bedding and Towels each day. Breakfast was in separate room for the Private beds, as opposed to communal room for Dorm people. Toast, cereal, Tea , coffee , juice, sausage, egg and beans. Car parking in street @ £5 all day if needed. Staff helpful and friendly. Half hour walk to the Pier. Buses outside. Beach and promenade across the road. What more can one ask for at roughly half the cost of a B&B or Hotel.

Room Tip: Private rooms much nicer, obviously a bit more expensive. If you are going to spend some time in the...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JackDorset
Slough
Reviewed December 2, 2012

This place does what it says on the tin.......basic but clean and warm.
This was a trip to see Madness in concert and I had booked a hotel in the main town but was told that the room had been cancelled two days before I travelled to Brighton, booked here because everywhere else was full or wanted a 2 night stay!!
I paid £80 for a twin room with private bath which was clean and warm but not worth £80 but I had little choice.
You need to be a stick insect to use the shower cubicle it is so small!!
Avoided breakfast as the smell of burnt toast was everywhere and walked back into town, not far just 2 miles.

All in all it was OK but that's it.

Room Tip: Tip for a good room........book elsewhere!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Dave M
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed four nights. As someone else mentioned, it's not a hotel - it's a hostel, which seems to be popular with large groups of rowdy students.
The building was being painted during my stay and there was neither adequate ventilation (I had a constant headache from the fumes) nor signs to tell guests which walls had been painted - I now have white paint on the back of my black jacket.
The room itself was adequate in terms of facilities and temperature, but not always completely clean. One of the towels was stained, the shower leaked all over the bathroom, there were hairs in my bed before I had slept in it. The last night I was there, one of the staff used a master key to open my (deadlocked) door at 11pm after I was asleep (I had an early flight the following morning) to check the bathroom - apparently the floor below had reported a leaking roof.
The directions on their website are also misleading. What is portrayed as a short walk from Brighton station actually takes at least 45 minutes without luggage - they don't mention the bus that takes you almost to the door.
The most frustrating thing is that the staff are indifferent to requests, the issues I mentioned and the needs of guests. I wouldn't recommend staying here at all.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stopped here for 3 nights.I don't know what people expect but it's a hostel. not a hotel. It gets the thumbs up from me as it was clean, tidy and secure which are the main things. The rooms were adaquetly heated, not too warm and not too cold. We booked a 20 bed room but when we got in there there were only 12 beds. The breakfast in the mornings was fine, toast, cereal, tea, coffe and orange juice was on offer. The hostel was in a huge old building and i think it use to be a hotel some years ago by the looks of things. The common room downstairs had a big TV in it and plenty of places to sit and plenty of plug sockets. The WI FI is totally free you just have to go to reception and get the passwor dto put in. I would reccoment people stay here don't know why it's got such a low rating. The only downside is that there were lockers in our room but you couldn't use them.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank joxlee89
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2012 via mobile

We booked a KGB deal for two nights in a twin room. Decent price for what we got but wouldn't have paid full price on a room.

Although the room was basic, it was comfortable, clean, warm with a small bathroom and tv (although the tv had limited channels - film 4 and 4 music)

Other reviews are quite negative and we were concerned with what to expect but we were pleasantly surprised!

Polite service on arrival, we had a room on the second floor with an amazing view of the seafront.

It's a bit of a labyrinth to the room through heavy doors but was a quieter section of the hotel. We didn't really much noise from other guests.

Traffic noise outside was quite loud at night but the (broken pulley) roller curtain kept the light out and we had a good nights sleep.

You'll need to show id on arrival and leave a £10 deposit for the key card.

As per the deal we had flowers and a few cadburys chocolates in the room which was nice.

There was tea and coffee and biscuits in the room and fresh towels. There was also small shower gel miniatures and small soaps if required in the bathroom.

We didn't have the breakfast in the hotel so cannot comment but instead went out on the mornings to explore.

The hotel is about 2 miles from Brighton pier, a lovely walk along the seafront. Street parking available which is free from 8pm to 9am and £5 between 9am and 8pm which is good value for the location.

Overall we had a pleasant stay at the hotel. It does what it says on the tin!

• Stayed October 2012
Harwich
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We booked the room last minute & got it for £80, why anyone would pay more to stay at this hotel is beyond me. If you only talk about the room then it really isn't all that bad but everything else is very poor, the breakfast wasn't worth walking down the stairs for, sausage, scrambled egg & runny baked beans. (All luke warm). The fire alarm woke us at 7am so no need for the alarm clock, & the hotel is popular with back-packers so it seems as if your walking through a refugee camp to get out.
So in summary not bad room but everything else very poor!

• Stayed September 2012