“Amazing!”

The Coal Shed Restaurant
Ranked #42 of 1,141 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Coal Shed is a specialist meat and fish restaurant in the heart of Brighton. Recommended by The Telegraph and The Guardian, amongst others, this stylish, relaxed eaterie has quickly become one of the top restaurants in the city.
Stanford le Hope, England, United Kingdom
“Amazing!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I took my boyfriend here for his birthday as he loves steak and we were in Brighton for the weekend. We have an incredible steak restaurant 5 minutes from us at home, which he loves, so I was hoping that The Coal Shed would be able to exceed that.

We were greeted with a warm welcome, even though we turned up 15 minutes early, and we were sat quickly at a table for 2. There was already water at the table which was poured for us. The waitress was brilliant. She explained the menu to us perfectly and answered all of our questions for us.

We ended up opting for the 600g prime rib, medium rare. We also ordered the beef dripping chips, potato gratin and peas and chorizo. The food was quick to come down to us and was beautifully cooked. My boyfriend said it was the best steak he'd ever eaten.

I'd mentioned when booking that it was his birthday and had asked them to do a little something with his dessert. We'd filled ourselves up with steak so we didn't want a dessert, but they brought us a small plate with "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" and 2 small chocolate tortes on. It was a beautiful touch.

The only thing I would say is that if you want a sharing steak, get there early (we got there for 7) as they only have a certain number of the steaks in the various weights so get in there early!

Definitely worth the money. We will be visiting again in the near future.

• Visited October 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Beaconsfield, United Kingdom
“Lovely Restaurant”
Reviewed October 13, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Lovely restaurant, very welcoming and excellent service. Our steaks were cooked perfectly. Good menu choice and good value.

Visited July 2013
London
“A homage to red meat”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I have been several times to this restaurant and each time, I have not been disappointed by the quality of the meat. The menu essentially consist of what joints and different size T-Bones they have that day. It is a tad on the pricey side though and the some of the red wines are outrageously priced. The wine list could also be more adventurous.

• Visited May 2013
Brighton
“Oh wow”
Reviewed October 11, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

As a meat loving atheist, this is what I imagine people mean when they talk about heaven. The food here is sublime, including the non-meat items. I've been here many times and have ordered a few different cuts off the daily special board and the regular menu and have not yet been disappointed. The last time my friends got a big cut off the board and my girlfriend and I got rib-eye from the menu, peppercorn sauce, and a side serving of onion rings, chips, greens and some other things I've since forgotten. The steak was cooked perfectly, as requested and the sauce was fantastic. The sides were gone before I knew it (in a good way - not a comment on portion size, which is just fine). Perfect!

The desserts aren't the best, but they also aren't the worst - I always have one and always regret it as it just pushes me over the edge in to the 'too full' category.

The staff are very friendly and knowledgeable.

I would certainly recommend this place to any fine meat loving culinary connoisseur. It;'s not cheap, but you certainly get what you pay for!

Visited September 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Best steak in Brighton”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Unbelievable steak everytime at the Coal Shed and easily the best steakhouse in Brighton. MEat alway cooked to perfection and i would highly recommend the on-the-bone sharing cuts. Great selection of wines to accompany the steak as well.

Visited September 2013