“Avoid Legends if you come from Yorkshire or are on a hen party”
Review of Legends Bar

Legends Bar
Ranked #21 of 125 Nightlife in Brighton
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Attempted to go to Legends bar this weekend on my friends hen do. 6 women aged 20 to 40, one of them being a gay woman so expected a very warm welcome.we walked into the bar at 9pm at night (we had just had a meal and it was the first club we went to) and spoke to a blonde female bouncer on our way in to say good evening.this poor excuse for pub security than preceeded to chase us through the bar before asking for "a word outside".we followed the female bouncer outside to be lectured for 5 minutes on how "people like us" weren't allowed in Legends?!!!we asked if it was because my friend was wearing a bridal veil and offered to remove it before being shut down and told to leave.this idiot refused to give any reason why,other than to say that "people like us weren't allowed in".at this point we were absolutely fed up of having fingers prodded in our faces that we began to walk away,telling her that if she didn't have any reason for turning us away we wouldn't want to spend our money there.this must have really pissed her off,because at this point she did the most unprofessional,aggressive thing I have ever seen from someone supposed to keep people safe in clubs -she chased the bride to be down the street,shouting at the top of her voice how she would be radioing all the clubs to have us banned "from Brighton"!!!!!she then walked back to the door of the club,grabbed her radio and stood waving it in the air,shouting after us further about our "attitude"...all this coming from HER?!!!!!not one member of our party responded to her because not one of us has experienced anything so unprofessional and idiotic in our lives!none of us can think of any reason why we were turned away other than the fact that when we spoke to her she realised we were from Yorkshire.we watched other large groups of people entering the club,many of which in fancy dress.I also notice several reviews below detailing other experience of severe discrimination because of where people hail from or the fact that they are straight.I'm absolutely disgusted by this.you CANNOT discriminate against people because of where they come from or their sexuality.when we went into another bar we were told by their door staff that this was typical behaviour of the Legends "security".what really annoys me about all of this is that their website content actively encourages large parties including birthdays,stags and hens.as well as tourists!I can see from other reviews below that this is a regular happening at this venue.I would really encourage anyone reading this not to go to Legends.I can promise you they won't want your custom.head to somewhere like Revenge. You will have a much better time!

9  Thank TheHepworths

Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

This bar has recently been renovated, but if you think it's good then you are mistaken. Much like the other reviews I can confirm that the management are terrible, door staff heavy handed, glasses dirty and Infact the floor sticky. The only upside to this bar is the cabaret on offer but there are many other decent bars offering cabaret in Brighton. Manager reminds me of my baby son, throwing a tantrum all the time and since the owner isn't with it so much now, has a full run of the place. This bar isn't what our scene should be about, I feel let down.

9  Thank Theverdicttoday
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed in brighton with a friend in June 2013 and out of all the bars we visited this had to be the most relaxed and welcoming. We had our first pint of the weekend there on arriving to brighton and before flying home to ireland we got breakfast there which was brilliant.

The bar staff were very friendly and efficient. The weekend we were there we were lucky as the sun was shining so we made the most of the patio / terrace during the day time.

Just a great atmosphere overall and my favorite of the 5-6 bars we tried over the weekend.

1  Thank Ger F
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Back in December the door staff manhandled me out of the bar when I said 'Oh no, not another one' when I saw a second naked waiter doing some kind of drinks promotion. I was certainly drunk but they could have ASKED me to leave if my behaviour was troubling anyone. Whatever, I can handle that but a well meaning anonymous stranger called the police to report them and the police gave me a '27 Direction to Leave' on the basis that I would suddenly turn into some kind of violent monster if I stayed (I only hit dance floors, never people). Whatever, why would I want to stay? Well, because my bag was left unattended in the bar. The police ignored my requests for them to get my bag back and arrested me for failure to comply.

The club ignored my requests for CCTV footage until they had destroyed it and one of the security staff has given the police a statement saying that I was aggressive, loud and unpredictable - exactly the wording used to excuse using excessive force to remove people using physical force without warning (assault).

So, enjoy your nights out, but Legends have carte blanche from Sussex Police to assault you if they wish to and the police are prepared to arrest you just to leave you in no doubt where you stand.

PS. Any witnesses, please get in touch with Sussex Police.

8  Thank The_Abused
Reviewed May 14, 2013

We had a great evening in Legends bar watching the fabulous Lady LaRue. We really enjoyed her singing and boy did we laugh at her witty banter! The bar staff are just lovely and this seems to set the atmosphere. I would recommend the bar and the show to anyone who likes a good fun time. There's a really good mix of people at Legends, I can't imagine that there's ever a dull night. However, if you take yourself too seriously this may not be the place for you....