“Work favourite”

Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 28, 2012

Lunchtime at E-Kagen is always a pleasurable experience with a warm, friendly welcome, speedy service and great food. Would go every day if I could

Reviewed February 17, 2012

I love E Kagen. The main chef always smiles and says hello warmly when I arrive. The restaurant is above an oriental supermarket in the heart of the lanes in Brighton. I always book and ask for a table in the window. It is simply furnished and just pretty much one room, with the kitchen/prep area on view behind a bar along the right hand side. The windows are wall to ceiling, so if you get a window spot, you can people watch all the strange and wonderful characters that tend to fill the streets of this part of Brighton, while you wait for your food.

Once you have ordered your sushi is made fresh to order, fresh being the optimum word here. Never before have I tasted such fresh (and generous) portions of sushi in England. You do have to wait a while as this preparation process takes time, but is always worth the wait. When I lived in West Sussex I tried to eat at E-Kagen once a week. I've moved away now and still miss it loads. The waitress is fantastic (I only ever saw one during the week). She is friendly and welcoming, just like the chef. Go for the eel nigiri, I've never had better, the portion given is larger than usual, succulent and sweet, I must go back sometime!

E-Kagen is also surprisingly cheap for what you get. It's no thrills interior and relaxed atmosphere makes for a restaurant makes for the kind of place you must find on the streets of Tokyo.

Awesome, but don't expect tablecloths!

Reviewed February 4, 2012

For what matters, the food, is very good quality. The price is more than reasonable and the staff have done is part in making it pleasant.

Reviewed January 24, 2012

Saturday lunchtime, and Brighton is packed. Above the Asian supermarket on Sydney Street is this brilliant canteen providing sushi, don, noodle soups and curries. Not only that, it provides an escape from the Laines, which if you get a window seat, can observe from above and watch the throngs of shoppers, feeling suitably superior that these people are oblivious to this little oasis.
The restaurant is a large square room occupying the whole floor above the shop with an open kitchen running along the far wall. Happy, smiling waitresses are on hand and welcoming. The kitchen is headed by an experienced looking, older Japanese gentleman, who I believe prepares the sushi. There are posters stuck to the counter and a television mounted to the wall. The place is busy, and is full and animated before we finish our lunch. Seems some people aren't as oblivious as I thought.
The menu is considered and concise. You won't be umming and ahhing for long. The sushi is lovely, the rice is soft and warm enough, the fish is fresh and generous. Green tea comes in a beautiful mug. Yaki-soba is genuine. So many times I have had Japanese noodles that are essentially chow-mein. Here, it tastes Japanese and I feel like a respected customer, not one being fobbed off with Westernised versions of things. The noodle soups are actually brilliant. Full of flavour and complexity, with excellent condiments of boiled egg, seaweed and sweetcorn. An addition of the tempura batter bits from the fryer added texture and flavourful delight. They even remained crunchy after complete saturation in the broth. Superb. The broth itself is excellent, my Miso ramen has beautifully textured noodles that I have to force myself to finish as the portion is so big, but I can't bare to waste any. My partner had the Tempura udon, with a broth so completely different from my own, it was a shock when I tasted it. How often do you find a place that provides noodle soup that doesn't use the same stock for each variety? It was truly delightful. Each piece of vegetable tempura was cooked well and crunchy, with slippery udon that were soft and yielding.
The place is buzzing with couples and families and my partner and I are comfortable and well fed. It was only a lunch stop, but we could pass the time for hours, munching on more noodles and fish, watching the world go by. The prices are more than reasonable, the service and atmosphere is casual, and it has the most authentic Japanese food I have had (outside of London - and some places there are pushing it). A great place.
The best reason to encourage more people to go is that it might open longer hours. I have been bitterly disappointed some days when I forget that it closes at 4, not opening again till 6, and I curse my wretched 'lunch' hours!
They used to be BYO, but they got a license and they will charge you extra if you order alcohol for the pleasure. That is a bit strange. Stick to the tea, again, another genuine feature.
This is a great place for a date, if the person you are taking doesn't have massively high expectations, and isn't convinced that what they're are eating at Yo! Sushi is Japanese, they will be very impressed.
Enjoy!

1  Thank BirdsandBats
Reviewed December 28, 2011

I just love this restaurant, if you are hungry and want something that will hit all your taste buds this is the place for you. The menu is surprisingly big considering how small the place is. You always get greeted by the owner who is always cooking and happy behind the bar. I love the view out of the window watching the world go by you can't ask for a better place than here. The food you get is a mountain of noodles and vegetables all cooked to perfection. also the pork dumplings are to die for! i can not get enough of them. the ladies who take your orders are very happy to explain things if you don't understand and alway make suggestions if asked.