“Great music, great cocktails!”
Review of The Mesmerist

The Mesmerist
Ranked #229 of 1,209 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: American, British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Roll up! Roll up! Conventionality stays at the door ladies and gentlemen if you are to enter the Lanes' newest, absinthe inspired wonderland of the weird and burlesque. Prepare to indulge all six of your senses in a 21st century gin palace that celebrates Brighton at its bold, bohemian best. Our policy to embrace the things most of us find bizarre makes The Mesmerist experience full of surprises. We look to the dark arts for inspiration and mystery for our ever-evolving entertainment program. With this in mind we ask that you become a part of our experience and enjoy what we have coming up, be it live music, burlesque, walkabout theatre, circus arts, magic or more. Join our mission to support local artists & keep something good & different alive in the Brighton lanes…
Reviewed May 19, 2014

The Mesmerist is great for those who fancy something a little different than the average "bar scene". The bar serves great cocktails (make sure you go for the Ginger Beer - Ginger Nut biscuit included on top!) and plays a huge variety of swing and 1920's music as well as playing host to live bands.

I'm yet to eat here but I've always heard really positive things.

The recent addition of the black and white photo booth makes the bar even more fun, giving you the chance to take home a snap from the night.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

I adore this bar, and I don't think it's given the justice it deserves with these reviews!
The music is great, the atmosphere is great too, they offer a great selection of drinks and the food is okay for a bar. The staff are friendly and live bands are fantastic, this being the first bar I drank in when I got to the UK I love it and come back all the time!

1  Thank crimbodindin
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Was quite looking forward to going for a few drinks here after looking at the website, but unfortunately didn't stay long. A good idea with the music but far too loud; bar 5 deep at times; floors sticky; too dark; just looked like a bit of a run down student bar.

1  Thank Robert-Joanne-132
Reviewed May 10, 2014

The doormen would not let myself (a girl) and 5 guys in (1 being my father, the other being my brother) because 2 of them looked like trouble as they walked up. Just as the other reviewers are saying the staff were bizarrely rude. I have been to the Mesmerist many times and was shocked at how rude the bouncers were, I won't be going back again. I wouldn't suggest for others to either, there a too many competing places to be spoken to like that.

3  Thank Elle C
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

I can't understand where all these negative comments are coming from! Obviously something must have happened to prompt them but I've never had any problems myself, I often end up here when I'm on a night out with my footy team mates and as long as we're not too drunk we always get in even if it is just lads. This place is as far removed from the hell hole, sterile chain clubs and bars of West Street as you could imagine, great music (not the usual chart rubbish played elsewhere), great atmosphere and most importantly (for me anyway) a slightly more mature crowd (I'm in my early thirties). I think this is the best place in Brighton to end the night, although admittedly it can get rammed in the main room, at which point you can just head upstairs for a breather!