“Huge portions, great milkshakes, not quite US style service but trying hard”

JB’s American Diner
Ranked #96 of 1,184 Restaurants in Brighton
Cuisines: American, Diner, Fast Food
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We visited on a Monday lunchtime outside of school holidays and so the place was fairly quiet. The 'wait here to be seated' sign is a little way inside the restaurant and with a couple standing around in front of us it wasn't immediately clear where to go and a couple of staff that went past totally ignored us - I think they may have been on a break as although they had uniforms on I later saw them sitting at a table eating. Having said that when we got to the sign the welcome was warm and friendly.

Service was reasonably friendly and fast, however if you're used to dining in the US it is not quite to their standards - no real interest from the staff if you're enjoying your food or need anything else. Having said that service was more than adequate.

Food was fine, we had potato skins to start which were good with a large amount of topping. We both had milkshakes which were the best I've had in the UK, cannot fault them at all.

For mains we had the burgers which were a bit of a let down, the toppings were good and generous and it came with a mound of chips. However the burger itself was thin (they only sell 6oz burgers which fill a large bun, I assume they are thin so that they cook quickly) and a little overcooked. It had little flavour - certainly if you are coming for a US style burger you will be sorely disappointed. The bun had been grilled until black which was a little off putting.

Overall mixed feelings about this place, fairly traditional and good enough service. Some food items extremely good but the burgers a bit of a let down. I'd go again, prices are reasonable for a quick lunch and very convenient if you've been shopping in the lanes.

Reviewed September 9, 2013 via mobile

Its a sure sign that the cold war is over when ur served by a waitress from the Russian Federation in a ciche American styled dinner. The decoration was as good as any ive actually seen in the USA and the boothes were comfy . American style vintage music playing just glorious. The experience lacked the service & friendliness, welcome that you get in the USA and the quality of food was questionable. In that respect it was a poor carbon copy.
On arrival having stood a few minutes with no acknowledgement of our arrival except blank expressions from passing waitresses, we seated ourselves and were finally after some waving got some menus.it was noon on a Friday so not busy and so no excuse. Milk shakes were good but lacked flavour, as a benchmark I would say that the GBK milkshake would be a good shake. Had the hot dog, big long sub roll, tasty frankfurter. A bit dry even though onions were requested.had a few fried onions & some black burnt bits I assume were scrapped up off griddle. Fries were typically Brakes Bros catering frozen fries. Huge generous portions but tasteless. I left most of it.in the USA they would habe asked if anything was wrong seeing a half touched meal, but not here.
Huge on style & portion size.
Lacking in service & food flavour unfortunately.

Reviewed September 5, 2013

I go with my friends every week, we love it! Best milkshakes are here! Quickly service, good burguers..

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We came to this place without a reservation and we were asked to wait for 15 minutes... Not bad at all. Unfortunately we were served by a very rude waitress, who in the end stopped serving us and got replaced by another nicer one... Thank god! I guess she realized she was just messing everything up and being rude. The food was very yummy tho! The burger was very good, also the onion rings! And the Hulk is a must try!

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Thought this place looked good on website so popped in. Friendly service but laid back not to ott. Had to wait but not long. Served us drinks quickly then came back promptly for food order. Lovely proper root beer for me and my daughter said the choc shake was THE best she's ever had. Food came quickly - and didn't disappoint. My 12yr old moaned that I told her to have the kids meal but she was more than full at the end of it. My super fussy son wolfed down his hot dog. The wife loved her JB burger and couldn't finish it. I went for The King And doubled up - wow it was big - but tasted awesome. The pulled pork was beautiful. For the first time in ages the wife was so full up she declined a pudding! Me too! But the kids enjoyed a generous helping of choc ice cream to finish it off nicely. For four of us it was only £35 all in. Cracking value for what we had. Thoroughly recommend it and will be back!