“Nice enough hotel...shame about their neighbours”
Review of Queens Hotel

Queens Hotel
Ranked #19 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Aberdeen
“Nice enough hotel...shame about their neighbours”
Reviewed June 11, 2010

Stayed here after a holiday in Turkey just for the night and a mooch around Brighton. The location was excellent and the hotel nicely presented.

The rooms themselves were ok....looks as if they've been done up, but on the cheap and rather quickly. Very clean though.

I have to say though, it was the worst night's sleep I have ever had in a hotel. Our room was directly above and across from a nightclub and the windows weren't double glazed. The noise from the people on the street would have been bearable but the thumping bass was awful! It eventually stopped at half two, hubby oblivious as he could sleep though an earthquake. It was all I could do not to stomp downstairs in my pj's to ask when the heck the music would stop!

After getting some sleep, we went to breakfast and it made up for it! Lots of choice, fresh and waiting staff efficient and friendly.

Cost £55 for both of us B&B so was a bargain...but you would expect to get some shut eye when you wanted to.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (619)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2010

Stayed at the Queens again last month. Excellent location with great sea/pier views.
Rooms are very spacious, clean, flatscreen TV, tea/coffee making facilities, comfortable beds, decent shower and bath. Breakfast is pretty basic with a help yourself buffet but fairly limited. Decent cocktails in the bar but pretty sore on the pocket. A PC is available in the foyer for guests use free of charge. No problem with noise at night so sleep comes easy. Decent pool also free for guests. The lanes is directly behind the hotel which is great for shopping, right on the promenade so great sitting at your window watching the world go by! I enjoyed my stay and would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2010

We booked the Queen Hotel after another hotel we had stayed in before was fully booked. After reading the reviews about the noise I decided to email the hotel and request a room on the top floor. This was a good idea as the noise level wasn't that bad considering we were in the town centre and only two minute walk from the night life on the Lanes.

The hotel is pricey, but that's more due to location than the standard of the rooms.
We booked a superior double with sea view. Again another good idea as the front of the hotel looks on to the pier so less noisy at night, the back faces the lanes and a few bars/ clubs.
The room was on offer but still pricey, I don't think I would pay the full price as our room was very small. We did have a sea view but only a small window, with damp on the exterior wall! That said there was no smell of damp and the room was clean but a bit tired could do with a lick of paint.
The breakfast was buffet style with the usual choice of yogurt, croissants and cereal. But they also had hot food to make a cook breakfast bacon, scrambled eggs etc. I thought the breakfast was actually good and a lot better than some other places I have stayed in. I preferred the help yourself buffet as you can choose what you want instead of a fixed plate of greasy food.
We didn't use the gym facilities, but did go to the bar after nights out for a late night drink. The bar was ok but a bit dead. The staff were pleasant and helpful and check in was very quick. In all if you want to be in the centre of Brighton the Queen is fine, but remember the centre of town means noise, so if you want peace and quiet stay further out. I would advise requesting a higher floor to help with the noise, we didn't find it a problem but as we live in London we are use to it.
Would I stay there again, yes I would but only if it was another offer as not worth the full price. If you do want to stay further out I would suggest the Amherst boutique hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
england
Reviewed June 2, 2010

we stayed at the queens hotel for 1 night we had read reviews that is was noisy but we stayed in the tower suite an really enjoyed ourselves , we had a great sea view and the hotel was really clean. the room was the biggest i have ever stayed in and the bed was comfortable the bathroom was out of this world great jacuzzi bath . staff were really helpfull and gave us more milk and tea bags if we needed them . swimminmg pool great clean . overall a really nice stay would go back in a shot .

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mikelaury
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2010

On reading the many reviews on Trip advisor, we decided to email hotel a week in advance to request a room on a higher ground anticipating the noise from bars and clubs. On arrival, we were given a room on the highest floor (4th) which definately made a difference to our stay. I think had we had one of the lower level rooms, our review would be very different.

The room itself was fairly basic but comfortable, definately reflecting the 3* status. Complimentary tea/coffee and biscuits provided and flat screen tv with freeview channels. Hotel offer free wi-fi password which we found to be too slow to bother with. Breakfast was served every morning between 7-10am, not a massive choice but ok to start the day.

The hotel is in a perfect situation. All main attractions within easy walking distance. Even though our stay was pleasant, I think i would look at one of the bigger chains like the Hilton or Ramada next time just for better comfort and especially considering if left later to book, prices are cheaper than what we paid to stay at Queens.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 29, 2010

We booked this hotel for a mother daughter weekend break back in February. We had a certain level of expectation based on the 3* rating and the price (quite spendy, but we wanted a treat) When we arrived we were told we were the last to check in and therefore was only 1 room left. (is 8:30 on a Thursday that late?!)

Within 5 minutes we were back at reception voicing worries about the 4 night clubs right outside our window which were already pretty lively so early in the night. We were told it probably would be quite noisy, unfortunately we cannot be moved that night and would we like earplugs?! So clearly a well documented problem.

We went to be around 11pm and the clubs were in full flow. We could feel the bass vibrating through the floor and our beds. Earplugs merely muffled the noise rather than create a barrier. A horrendous night with little sleep until after 4am when they closed.

We were moved to a quieter, sea view room (which we originally requested) on the second night. After speaking with the rather defensive manager we were simply told 'what do you expect of a city centre location' Unbelievable.

The reception staff were very pleasant but obviously very used to dealing with the same complaint. I think it is appalling that the hotel knowingly lets rooms such as these. They are only suitable for people who would be in the clubs for the night. And the website sells it as a family' hotel.

We weren't the only one either - we spoke to a number of guests with the same awful nights sleep, one of which was a group of young girls, the people the manager seemed to think would love that kind of thing.

I would never stay there again. The place is also tired and a bit grubby, the leisure center run down with grotty changing rooms and the breakfast staff miserable and pretty much ignored us until we shouted!

A waste of money and massively impacted what was supposed to be a lovely weekend. We were left tired and irritable after such and awful Friday night.

DON'T STAY HERE!

• Stayed April 2010

Travelers are raving about these Brighton hotels

London
Reviewed April 20, 2010

I have marked this hotel relatively highly as its not too bad (compared to some of the other reviews about it on Tripadvisor) except in the 'Sleep Quality' category.

However, I am writing this review at 2.30 a.m. on a Wednesday morning having had my sleep so badly disturbed that I got dressed and went outside to check on the noise/vibration coming from the Honey Club nightclub which is over the road by the beach. I cannot believe that Brighton Council allowed these people to have a licence in the first place, nor can I believe that the Queens and Thistle hotels have not objected to the noise these morons make. In fact its not so much a noise as a vibration that goes right through my side of the hotel and my whole body. I walked around a bit on my floor (1st ) and can feel this vibration even from the corridors on the South West side of the hotel where my room is. And Anna on reception gave me a 'quiet' room! Any hope of sleep is out of the question until these inconsiderate people switch the music off - which I now understand from the guy on nightshift at reception could be 4 a.m.!!

If you value your sanity and your sleep, don't stay in this hotel. Even if they could move my room I understand that the there really are 'noisy' rooms so God alone knows what they'd be like.

I am also sending a copy of this review to the Brighton Council to see if they will do anything about this disgrace.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business