“Clean, great position, large room at good price”
Review of Queens Hotel

Queens Hotel
Ranked #19 of 43 Hotels in Brighton
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I stayed here the other week just for the weekend. I didn't get a chance to look in the spa, so I can't comment on that, but given the price I paid, I wouldn't expect miracles. My room was very large with all the basics. The bathroom was newly done and i had a lovely view of the sea. If you're not used to going to Brighton I've yet to stay somewhere there where they can cancel all noise out, if it's sea or seagulls, it's nature and quite a nice noise anyway.

The staff were friendly, breakfast was good enough and the location of the hotel is brilliant. Behind the hotel is the best shopping area in my view, the lanes, with pretty shops and places to eat. My only negative would be the shower was not very powerful, but apart from that i had a comfortable stay.

Room Tip: Definitely get one facing the sea.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (2,353)

Reviewed January 8, 2013

The Hotel was in a great if busy location. Plenty of restaurants and pubs close to hand. We had rooms 116 and 117. Large but a little tired. The rooms need full double or treble glazing in my opinion. The people walking past and entering the gentlemans club across the street could easily be heard and when we did eventually get to sleep the glass bottle collection at 06:00 even woke my deaf mother in the next room. Staff were fine and friendly. The bathroom was very worn and a little rough with grout missing around every floor tile. The filled hole in the bathroom door did not add to the experience either! In need of a general make over I would say but could be fine for some. Breakfast was OK but fairly cold with tinned plum toms. We had a discounted stay. if I had paid full price then I would have been very upset indeed.

Room Tip: Do not take first floor rooms. Avoid 116 and 117 for sure or use ear plugs.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Steve W
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Sure, this hotel appears to be slightly older than somewhere like the Thistle (next door), however we found the room to be adequately sized, clean, comfortable and not too loud - pretty great considering we were there over New Year's Eve with many revellers partying downstairs in bars around the city. Breakfast was lovely, staff helpful, and the location is unbeatable - right on the waterfront, easy walking distance to the Lanes, Brighton Pier and everywhere else of interest. Would stay here again as it's definitely excellent value for money.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We were in Brighton over the Christmas season and stayed at the Queen's Hotel. Although it was off-season, windy and a bit cool, we enjoyed the hotel's proximity to the ocean. We didn't have to go too far to find a good restaurant or do some shopping in the Lanes. The suite was spacious and comfortable. We had a two bedroom suite which easily accommodated parents with two grown children. Breakfast was substantial and tasty. A good experience over all.

Room Tip: We were there over the Christmas season and found it a bit noisy late at night or early morning. I...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Muirly
Reviewed January 3, 2013

After reading the mixed reviews on Trip Advisor I decided to pay extra to be able to cancel my booking should the hotel not be able to provide a room that matched our requirements, which I detailed on my booking. A couple of days later I was called by a lovely receptionist who confirmed our requirements.

Our room was in the middle of the building with a real sea view, comfortable bed, lovely and clean. Thanks to all the previous reviewers the only noise we heard was some morning traffic and a couple of chair scrapes from upstairs.

The bathroom wasn't all that, cracked bath panel, Shower screen a bit dodge, Loose wobbly floor tile, bath with 'enamel holes' but, as we were there for only one night and the Spa area was so lovely it didn't really bother us.

Room Service was great. Our Bloody Marys were devine! All hotel staff were really lovely and friendly. (Would rather be in a two star with good staff than a five star with poor staff.)

The luggage store and Spa area were available for use after we checked out too.

Room Tip: Specify your requirements before booking. Ask for a middle room, sea view with double glazing. (I...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I think it must depend on the room you get, as some of the reviews below show that people have been happy with their stay. I was horrified with mine. The divan bed-base had no mattress on it and was the most uncomfortable thing I've ever tried to sleep on. The staff seemed sweet, although clearly they were quite embarrassed at the room they knew they'd given me. The view was amazing - in the tower looking out at the Palace Pier, but the windows were broken and rain was coming through the sticky tape they'd tried to mend it with.
There was no soundproofing at all and all I heard all night was a nightclub and then drunken screeching and sirens as the sun came up.
Breakfast was almost as bad as the room with low quality rubbery toast and scrambled eggs that were swimming in water and still had raw bits mixed up in them.
So in general I couldn't sleep and couldn't eat the food, and all for 150 quid.
This is an amazing building and it's sad because it has so much potential. Someone needs to adopt this place as a pet project and give it a lot of love and a lot of money.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Barilyn U
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I stayed here with my family for two nights after Christmas. The hotel is in a great location a two minute walk to the pier and the Lanes are just behind the hotel.

We stayed in room 408 which is a really large family room with Queen sized + single bed. It had great sea views and there was no noise from the street at night, something other viewers have commented upon in other rooms in this hotel.

The room was spotless, but the grouting in the bathroom really needs refreshing – the only real negative about the hotel in my view. The room had free water, sky channels on the TV, a hairdryer & iron and ironing board. It also had a small seating area & chairs.

I thought the hotel was great value, given the location, breakfast was included and the spacious sea view room we had (£280 for two nights)

There is a small gym and swimming pool and bar area with really friendly staff.

All in all a good stay in a central part of Brighton.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor with a sea view. It was very quiet .
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family