Open today: 10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

from $34.40
from $19.80
from $46.20
More Info
All reviews stanford family haunted house upstairs downstairs interesting house downton abbey walled garden pet cemetery small church edwardian era brighton city fascinating history worth a visit royal pavilion ghost life glimpse furnishings
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Not much to look at from the outside and walled garden needs a makeover but, what a wonderful place when you get inside. Full of history and interesting things. Had a great time taking photos. The staff are very knowledgeable and so helpful. Thank you to Kevin and Rebecca for all your help, you made my visit so enjoyable.

1  Thank Discover826073
Reviewed September 28, 2018

I was visiting my family, my niece and I was walking thru the park and she said that the victorian manor was suppose to be haunted so we went to it and immediately I felt a strange sensation over my body as we walked into the building. We paid our way and walked thru the different rooms. We came to the library where they held seances and I felt a heavy presence there. I took a picture of a painting there I liked and there were images of faces in the painting. I told my niece who looked at it and said yes she can see it too then she took a picture and images showed up on her cell camera too. We then went upstairs and in one of the bedrooms that was suppose to be really haunted I felt that strange sensation again and it was cold and my hair at the back of my head was standing up also my cell phone camera kept clicking and I wasn't even touching the camera part. Very interesting house and story. I definitely do feel it is haunted and well worth the money I paid. Also the furnishings were beautiful to look at and it is nice to see how people lived in that era

1  Thank nicoletteg161
Reviewed September 22, 2018 via mobile

Wow. On the doorstep for all these years and only now did we choose to visit. This place has none of the stuffiness of NT houses - this is largely how it was when the family left in 1932. Almost all the rooms are open and you need not dodge guides who are desperate to impart information.

1  Thank fairycake73
Reviewed September 14, 2018

Be sure to set aside some time to check this place out - there is a lot too see, especially if you want to explore the grounds as well! Also, keep an eye out for the portraits of the Preston's family pets scattered around the manor...you just might stumble across a pet cemetery on the grounds that includes some familiar names.

1  Thank Katy G
Reviewed September 8, 2018

Included in the 3 day History Pass ticket from The Pavilion this Manor House is well worth a visit. An old medieval house built on over the years and now seen as an Edwardian family house with all the furniture and artefacts as they were left after the family that had lived there for hundreds of years died out. The last of the line having been sadly killed in action in the First World War. A collection of Chinese lions is one of the many fascinating items on show.

2  Thank Jg H
Reviewed August 21, 2018

Discovered this doing a Goggle Search and wasn’t sure what to expect. Did miss the initial signpost but took a guess as to where it was based on the work we could see and found it quite quickly. Not necessarily the most attractive house depending on what era ticks your boxes but inside it was as though the occupants had only left yesterday. The little walled garden with the pet cemetery and the adjoining church also worth a visit. So much to see and take it I shall definitely go back again.

2  Thank small66
Reviewed August 17, 2018 via mobile

Simply amazing! This historic mansion perfectly portrays life back in the 19th/beginning of the 20th century. From the beautiful beds to the various portraits, Preston Manor is a worthy visit for anyone interested in history or curious about the life of the higher class of England.

The location is good, close to the Train Station and Preston Park; the price is accessible and the tour doesn’t take much time.

It should be a fun experience for people of all ages and all interests.

2  Thank Luana V
Reviewed August 4, 2018

Beautifully managed, arranged and taken care of, this edwardian-era manor house shows visitors the ambiguity between glamour and hard work that compose the image of the english aristocracy and its servants in the early 20th century. Every room is marvellously recreated with authentic artifacts. The effort to engage cultural issues and the history "below-stairs" is commendable, as well as the effort to tackle the site's history as a historical site. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Definitely a Must-See!

4  Thank MaxWohltmann
Reviewed August 3, 2018 via mobile

Had a lovely visit here with my 15 year old daughter. It’s a beautifully kept and interesting property. Our kitchen guide was really interesting and kindly answered all our ghostly questions. Will come back to see the gardens as they were closed due to a visit from Britney Spears.

1  Thank Kazzer40
Reviewed July 31, 2018 via mobile

Certainly picked a good day to visit sunshine meant the house was quiet- so a lovely walk around with an informative and entertaining guide... the house certainly retains so many features- the kitchen, scullery and butlers pantry are so evocative- it would have been nice to have a little more information on bits and pieces around the house... so many object d’art and me being nosey l like to know when and where.
Would certainly visit again